GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience hauling a wing in the back of a 4X4 truck? What ramps did you use? I assume a LA Chock with several tiedowns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jeff, I'm not sure a Wing will fit in your average pickup too good. It's bulky and heavy and would be very scary to ride up IMO. I load mine on a motorcycle trailer that is low to the ground and it is scary to ride it up for me. I do it but it's not easy. I use the LA chock and it works great. It does need to be secured to your truck or trailer though. I have loaded manya dirt bike in a pickup but would never consider that with my wing. The only way it might work is if you had a ditch you could back the truck into where it would lower the bed to ground level. The problem is finding this same solution on the other end of the trip. Also remember that if the ramp is not long enough you will drag expensive parts and high center going in the truck. If you lived around here I would loan you my trailer. Good Luck. Tex

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel the same way Mike

I do currently us an enclosed trailer for hauling my wing behind our motorhome. I am trying to come up with a way to have another mode of transportation besides the bike when we travel. I figured I could put the wing in the truck then have both vehicles when we get there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel the same way Mike

I do currently us an enclosed trailer for hauling my wing behind our motorhome. I am trying to come up with a way to have another mode of transportation besides the bike when we travel. I figured I could put the wing in the truck then have both vehicles when we get there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Jeff
I have a 99 Z71 short bed. Last summer we left home in our motor home towing the pickup with the Wing in the back for a three month trip. First, I built a front wheel chock, that also serves to distribute the weight across the front of the pickup bed. I used a 2 X 12 for the back board and 2 X 4's for the rest. I can take a picture of it and email it to you if you like. I attach soft ties around the fork tubes just above the lower triple clamp. I also use a Canyon Dancer harness that goes on the handle bar but I'm not sure it's necessary. I do not use ratchet type tiedowns and I do not try to completely collapse the suspension. The bike rides better if the suspension can work a little. In the short bed pickup the rear tire of the bike sets right at the end of the bed so most of the weight is on the bed rather than the tail gate. I tie the rear end down by the back crash guards. I pull the tiedowns tight with the rear suspension at it's lowest setting, then raise it to maximum. Below is a link to Dresser Motorcycle Ramps. I'm happy with mine. Hope some of this helps.

Rich

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/dresser_ramp.htm

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I hauled my OldWing back from Chicago in the back of my old full size Ford F150. Parking slightly sideways, it fit just fine .... used the sidestand and tiedown straps to all 6 stake pockets. Made the 350 miles just fine.
Rather than trust the ramp from 4 feet (Chef's experience was enough to sober me), I backed her into the ditch and had a very shallow ramp to worry about.
The 1800 looks longer than the 1100 was, but I haven't measured it ... you'd likely have to leave the gate down or partially down.
But ... no reason why it shouldn't ride there ok ... after all, that's the preferred travel method for most Hardleys. :roll:

·
Registered
19 Posts
pak-rak

Jeffmcneil
Check out wing worldNov issuePage 74, its called Pack-Rack It bolts to the bed of your pickup put you wing on the rail, it then loads into the pickup bed. Page 77 is another one.I've seen the Pack-Rack at wing ding this past summer.
roger/orangestreak

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pak-Rak motorcycle loader for a pick-up

I have a "Pak-Rak" motorcycle loader to load my 1800 in the back of a ford f-250 long bed and it works great. I pull my travel trailer behind. The loader will work with a short bed as well. Its made in Hunting Beach, Ca. Eash to use. They have a web page and are usually in wing world and are nice people to deal with. The loader is about $2600.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put my 02 IB in my Avalanche

Have done it twice so far with no problems. I have a folding ramp that is 8' long, but I still try to find a loading dock or hill or something. That way it is easier and safer. With the midgate up and tailgate down, the back tire sits just at the end of the tailgate. I don't use a wheelchock of any type. I just tie it down really well with two straps on the swingarm, two on the passenger grab bars, two on the lower front forks, and two on the fork crossbrace. So far, no mishaps.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Jeff,

If you're determined to do this, you need to be aware you'll have to do it with your tailgate down if you're loading the bike squarely. The over length of a Wing is greater than the interior length of an 8' P/U bed. Personally, I much prefer a trailer but let me make a suggestion that might make this easier for you. :idea:

Build yourself a little platform using a length of C channel that'll accommodate your front wheel. Put a little axle under one end and hinge another piece of that C channel that, when opened, will be at an angle up from the other end. Underneath that end weld some tube stock. Run two longer pieces of smaller tube stock with a wheel on one end out from that. You can pin those in place then take it apart for storage. Simply secure your bike's front wheel to that and it'll be stable being loaded onto a trailer or into your truck bed. Personally, I use a winch to load mine after I've secured it this way. It works great. :D

Give this a try. I think you'll be very happy with the results. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ask any Harley owner, for they have lots of experience hauling thier bikes as opposed to riding them LOL.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There is a device similar to the pak-rat that attaches to the back of the motor home sideways that enables you to load the bike across the back of the home and still tow you truck. I have a friend who has this setup I will try to get more info from him.

·
Registered
348 Posts
LA Chock

You can successfully do this with a LA Chock. I actually have a frame which I have built that would allow me to use lift the bike with a crane and also support the bike in the truck. You wil need a 1/2 ton pickup truck. My range is just to squirelly with that kind of weight. If you wait this gif will show you one way to transport a bike.

By the way this frame could be borrowed for the next 4 months if someone would pick it up from my home.

[/img]http://www.mountainsideny.com/gl1800/images/Bike.gif[/img]
[/img]

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
bike in a truck

I went to bike week and put my 98 se in the back of the pickup. I loaded it at a warehouse dock which was almost identical in height. I unloaded it at an embankment/ditch in Daytona, kinda nerve wracking to unload, but worked out ok with a couple of spotters. We put my friend's valk i/s on the trailer behind the truck.
JD 8)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Loading using the Dresser ramps is really not that scary after you've done it a couple of times. Mine are a three piece assy 38" wide and 100" long. They are arched to keep the bike from high centering. I usually look for a place where I have some advantage from the terrain but flat ground is fine too. The ramps fit nicely along side the bike after it is loaded in my short bed 4x4 Chevy.

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/dresser_ramp.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't loaded an 1800 yet, but I have loaded my 1500 several times. I have a Ford 250 Power Stroke with a long bed. My wife and I like to take the GW with us when we pull the travel trailer. I have use the truck several times to deliver the bike to the dealer for repairs, tires, etc.
I purchased three aluminum ramps made by Five Star Manufacturing Inc., from a Honda dealer. He said that he used them all the time to load Goldwings into pick-ups. They have worked real well for me. They are only rated at 750 pounds, but handle the Wing easily.
I would say that loading into a pick-up is not for the faint hearted. At one time on the ramp it seems like you are going straight up. I have gotten several worried looks from onlookers while I am loading.
When you use these ramps you want to be sure and use a tie down to hold it to the pick-up so it won't slide backwards on a slick parking lot when you accelerate to go into the bed of the truck. Another piece of advice is to remove the tailgate. They are not strong enough for a Goldwing (voice of experience).
By the way I used to use a bike trailer but I gave it to my son who has a Harley, I figured he might need it more than me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Howdy all,
I am bringing this thread back to life to see if anyone has any further experience/ideas.

First of all, I'll say, I hate the though of having to do this to my bike :cry:
But I don't have much of a choice. When I move to CA., I am going to have a small U-Haul trailer to tow behind my truck, so that leaves me with having to stick the bike in the back of my '04 Avalanche. I see someone further back in this thread has done it in an Av, so it can be done. I see he is not an active member of the board, but will be emailing him to see if he has had any further problems.

I don't want to spend $300 plus on a ramp... Harbor Freight has one for $80 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90018

I know it is a short ramp, but I plan on finding a slope to make the load/unload process easier, so I don't think it will be an issue.

I had considered just leaving the bike here, and coming home later to ride it back... but I get paid for the weight I move... and the bike will obviously bump up my weight a pound or two :twisted:
Plus if I flew home & rode back, it would be on my dime. Not a bad thing, but if I can do it on my favorite uncle's dime... I'd rather do that!

I plan on getting a "canyon dancer" harness to tie down the front end, and then securing the rear by the crash bars.

Of course I welcome any suggestions from y'all experts out there.
Save the "I'd never 'trailer' mine" comments and all that... While at 71k miles my '01 may not be the highest mileage bike out there, it does show that I ain't afraid to ride it :twisted:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I had a GL delivered to my house on a 6 1/2' Dakota. Bike fit completely in the truck, and did not sit on the tailgate.

The headboard of the Dakota took a bashing, but the wing made the round trip of 250 miles just fine.

They loaded/unloaded the bike at their house off of a dirt bank. We unloaded/loaded it here with my Handy-Lift.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts