GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has done this. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 short box and wonder if it is possible or not? I know unloading is going to be hard unless I can find a loading dock.

Any input would be great. Heading to Florida last week of March one way or another.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I put my 08 in my f350 long bed deisel,use a big boy ramp with no problems.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
The tailgate will need to remain down during transport. The rear tire will sit directly on the edge of the bed and bottom of open tailgate. Use a piece of plywood (3/4") for the rear tire to rest on, otherwise it will bend the tailgate. I use a full 8' length x 16" wide for the whole bike to sit on when transporting. Also, use a block of plywood between the front tire and bed panel, same deal, it will otherwise bend.

http://www.tulsaenterprises.com/tiedown.html

Using 1 2x10x10 for the center rail, and 2 2x8x10 for your feet works well for a ramp. Reinforce the center 2x10 to handle the weight of the Wing. Project centers sell metal ramp ends to attach to the 2 bys. There will always be someone to help steady it loading or unloading. Bike shops have ramps to back up to.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My wing in my truck

I replaced the tailgate cables with pieces of flat stock because I didn't trust the cables with the weight. Had one break on a station wagon I had at one time. Piece of 3/4" plywood over the gap between the box and gate. The center of the rear tire is right at the end of the box. Also added some helper springs on the rear which made the handling better. Only cover while parked overnight. Don't drive with the cover on. It will whip and wear off the paint on the bike. Made a 1200 mile trip to Texas and back with no problems. Had some nasty weather, too. High cross winds in OK on the way down and hard packed slick snow on 35 north of Des Moines to the MN border on the way home.
I use these ramps from Discountramps.com

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
It would worry the hell out of me to put my wing in my long bed pickup. It is obvious it can be done from the pics shown, but I would be leary. Maybe it is easier than it looks.:beer3:

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I am glad I live in Fl. I just ride where ever and whenever
+1 Me too for sure!!! But maybe he's moving or going away for a while and needs a cage also???

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Buy, borrow, or steal a trailer.
I agree...I wouldn't haul mine in my truck...I'd just ride, unless I was going away for a while or camping...then my Wing travels safely in my toyhauler...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I built this loader to haul my bike from Canada to Yuma, Az.

It works fine but I have to leave the tailgate at home.

It has a filler section to make a flat deck for the garden tractor or anything else that fits.

The rails slide under the bike and are held by a couple of pins for travel. The battery rides on the dolly with the bike.

No holes were drilled in the truck.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wheels2ca

Harvey

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the responses.

We are going down in 2 weeks to travel around by car. And then the end of March we are headed back ith the bike. I do not trust Michigan weather to make it possible to ride the whole way there and back otherwise I would. I have driven the bike in the snow and it is not much fun.

I like to be prepared and have all my ducks in a row. I guess it is from being a boy scout.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I don't think the tailgate is meant to hold more than 250lbs so I'd never use the gate. I've never had a SB truck and never will so on a long bed remove the tailgate before loading. I'd rather ride too, but what if the loading is required if the motorcycle is inoperative? Simply roll the goldwing up a ramp into a truck. :lol: Good luck with that.

·
Registered
465 Posts
At Wing Ding in Billings a couple years ago while staying at the KOA I saw a RV pull in with a pickup truck and wing in the bed. I went over to watch his operation of unloading. It looked like the Jet Track in Beverly's post. He unloaded it by himself with no problems, when asked how it worked, he showed the operation of unloading and reloadeding just to show how easy it was. When my wife retires and we get a RV that is an option that we will take a look at. I would prefer an enclosed trailer for the wing but I am not sure on pulling the truck and trailer hooked to the RV, most likely illegal in most states.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Dodge tailgate is pretty tough. I haul mind to and fro all the time when I need to drop off my "toy" truck for work and ride the wing home, or to haul it to Galveston when I also want my truck to do some work.

My loading and unlaoding may be easier though since I have a ramp as wide as the tailgate and a 2/4 drop on the truck. I do have airbags in the back to raise the back end back up after loading. The rear tire sits just in front of the opening between the tailgate and bed. I do strap the frame in the back, the forks in front and the handlebar strap so I have 6 tie down spots. After that I jsut drive and not worry about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts