GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m I missing something here. Folks keep saying that brake fluid is bad for the paint – really?? I just made a small area on my front fender and fenced it off with a chalk. Then I poured Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 & 4 Brake fluid in it and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wiped it clean and it is still just as shining as before. I think our Wings have a catalyzed clear coat over the base color. Is that the difference?? The bottle has the classic warning about damaging paint.

Has anyone out there had actual damage from brake fluid??

Paul Sullivan

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The proof is in the pudding, I guess. I just don't have the gonads to risk it.

2W

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Yes. Had honda shop replace brakes on my '04 once. When they pushed the pistons back in it forced fluid out the handlebar reservoir which then ran down on the shelter and bubbled the paint.

S

·
0 Posts
Most brake fluid will damage or dull the paint so it is best to keep it under control

·
Registered
338 Posts
You must not care if you ruin a fender. I have seen the damage a lot of times in the past 27 years of servicing and working on Wings. I have had to replace fairings that were ruined to the point that is was cheaper to replace it than try to repair it. Tha ABS plastic will cristalize and crumble from cantact with brake fluid. Last winter a friend left a bottle of Valvoline Dot 3/4 in the trunk of his 1500 for a couple of months and it leaked all over the bottom of the trunk. Needles to say we purchased a trunk off of Ebay and repainted it to match his black Aspy.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have a 'reminder spot' on my right saddle bag from changing the brake fluid. Trust me, the paint hates the brake fluid.:yes1:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I’m I missing something here. Folks keep saying that brake fluid is bad for the paint – really?? I just made a small area on my front fender and fenced it off with a chalk. Then I poured....

.....Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 & 4 Brake fluid in it and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wiped it clean and it is still just as shining as before.

I think our Wings have a catalyzed clear coat over the base color. Is that the difference?? The bottle has the classic warning about damaging paint.

Paul Sullivan
I too have noticed and thought the same thing because I use Valvoline fluid as well. Either the fluid is not as harsh to paint (as some DOT 3 fluids I've used in the past) or the wings paint is just more durable. I have gotten some Valvoline synthetic fluid on various paints parts of wing while servicing and have flushed water over the area within 60 seconds and theres no noticable signs of fading or loss of shine. I've noticed the same thing on some of my other bikes, so I'm guessing the Valvoline synthetic is just less damaging to painted parts. That's my assumtion because..............I don't have the guts to intentionally test it on painted parts. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Valvoline synthetic Dot 3/4 WILL bleach the black plastic on the pocket doors of a GW1800.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Valvoline synthetic Dot 3/4 WILL bleach the black plastic on the pocket doors of a GW1800.
Sad but true! 3 spots on my left pocket from clutch fluid change.

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
I’m I missing something here. Folks keep saying that brake fluid is bad for the paint – really?? I just made a small area on my front fender and fenced it off with a chalk. Then I poured Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 & 4 Brake fluid in it and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wiped it clean and it is still just as shining as before. I think our Wings have a catalyzed clear coat over the base color. Is that the difference?? The bottle has the classic warning about damaging paint.

Paul Sullivan
I've done the same with Honda brake fluid on a front fender laying around. I left it for 24 hours and had the same results. Wiped it off, cleaned the fender, no sign of damage. I can tell you that brake fluid does not like the skin on my hands.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Would a good coat of wax have been the diff? :shrug:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Photos from test

Area first cleaned with lacquer thinner to remove any wax.

White areas in photos are reflections from my lamp. Washed out in photos, but in real life you would clearly see the mirrored reflection of my lamp - nice and shiny!

Before.jpg -> no fluid yet! Still shiny.
Test.jpg -> dammed pool of brake fluid for 30 minutes.
After.jpg -> Wiped clean - no damage - still shiny.

It does sound like the brake fluid will damage the black side compartment doors - didn't test that.

Conclusion: Yellow GL1800's are superior:cool:

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts

White areas in photos are reflections from my lamp. Washed out in photos, but in real life you would clearly see the mirrored reflection of my lamp - nice and shiny!

Before.jpg -> no fluid yet! Still shiny.
Test.jpg -> dammed pool of brake fluid for 30 minutes.
After.jpg -> Wiped clean - no damage - still shiny.

It does sound like the brake fluid will damage the black side compartment doors - didn't test that.

Yeup ... my test was done on yellow too ... yellow is better and faster:)

D

·
0 Posts
Yes it will, but it's easy to fix too - just don't let it (the brake fluid) sit there very long - I was going to replace the top/box so I had nothing to loose - In my case, I sprayed it with flat black paint and rubbed it in before it (the paint) dried - can't see the "white spot" at all - looks perfectly normal - been a year now

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lacquer thinner! Are you serious?????
I can't beleive it didn't damage the paint. :22yikes:

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I have a black '02. My clutch master reservoir lid loosened and while parked in hot sun, a few drips of Valvoline SynPower 3-4 dripped down onto the emergency flasher button, the panel that button is mounted into, the side strip, and down onto the fareing where the lower vent is. It was left over night. The emergency button was greatly defaced and melted, the paint on the panel into which the buttons are mounted had the once black paint turn into a chalky white color and the paint film would scoot around on the under surface (it was intact, but polymerized) The side strip had big bubbles of black and chalky white areas, and the lower panel also had soft movable paint. I mixed a solution of water and detergent in a large flower watering can and gently poured that warm solution over the contaminated area to flush away the brake fluid. After the water dried the white areas were still white or chalky looking, but the bubbles were receading. I probably should have left it alone to recure unmolested, but I did "help" it by using my fingers to push the bubbled paint back onto the surface. Amazingly, the paint did re adhere as it dried and the only rough areas (which are very minor) are where I "helped: it. After the paint was re-cured, I tried WD-40 to reduce the white chalk appearance and it was partly successful, but still butt ugly. Then I tried GO-JO hand cleaner withouth the pumice and it restored the paint to a shiny black color with only a slight haze still remaining on the electronics panel. Purchased new Radio Shack switch buttons as shown by Waldo in his posts, but have not got around tuit yet, heck its only been a year or two. So, I say clean any spills ASAP by flushing with plenty of water with detergent to avoid paint and plastic damage.

prs

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lacquer thinner.

You can use lacquer thinner on catalyzed clear coat to remove tar and such. Make sure it is general purpose (Lowes). Just don't rub to long. I just used it to remove the Sharpie permanent marks from my fender. Looks fine.

The chap with the 2002 Black had a disaster.

BOTTOM LINE: Paint can handle it for a while - you will have time enough to get a rag and wipe it off. Any other parts could be a serious problem - cover them up before hand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts