GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting the time to get these posted. We rode to Davenport Iowa on August 17th, had the Wing and trailer pinstriped on the 18th and rode back to Michigan on the 19th. Steve Kafka out of Phoenix, Arizona did the work for us while he was at the "Flying Eyeball Reunion" car show with "The Legends of Pinstriping" that weekend. Steve has pinstriped two of my previous Wings and I am amazed each time watching him work. The only marks he made on the bike prior to painting were for the center of the front fender and the center of the trailer lid. There have been a number of others who have copied his style, but in my opinion his original work is the best.

http://www.kooltie.com/kafka/

Enjoy

Steve working on the trailer. We would love to have the top graphic on the trailer framed and hanging in our home.

Front quarter view

Front View

Rear quarter view

Trailer side view

Trailer rear view

Steve's business card

Steve also put designs on each of our helmets and a Pink rose bud on the back of Jennifer's. We are very happy with the work he did on our Wing.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Awesome job! He has to have the steadiest hand on Earth. Looks great!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It just amazes me when I see what these people can do. Especially being able to duplicate it on the other side of the bike. Looks great, Brett.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Pin Striping

Barney Biker said:
Looks great.
Just wondering what it costs to get a bike done like this?
Nice!

Barney Biker
While not inexpensive, I thought $750 for the bike, trailer and both helmets was reasonable for the quality of the work done.

From Kafka's website:

Pinstriping Prices Motorcycles
$10.00 per color per design

Cars and Trucks
$100 per color per design

Example:
Motorcycle
1 - 4 color design = $40.00
10 - 4 color designs = $400.00

Phoenix Bird Pinstriping
12-14 Colors $200.00 each

So my cost equates to 25 3 color designs.

I have seen some of his 4 and 5 color works and a couple of his Phoenix bird designs and they are incredible, but much more than we wanted on our Wing . Each color/line he does is pretty much 1 brush stroke, lifting only to create the illusion of wrapping around or adding detail. The colors he used on my Dark Gray Metallic was Black, dark Lavender (Periwinkle?) and Teal. While not colors I would have specified, his years of experience, art background and education gives him a very sharp eye at what looks good. I have let him choose the colors each time he has pinstriped a Wing for me and have always been happy. Also each bike he does is a unique creation, in that, even if he were to use the same colors on another bike, the design would be different.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
:D Looks mity purty!! :D
IB 03

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump - due to many members out for Labor Day

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Fantastic job....but that's always a given for Kafka.
I remember watching him at work here in Fresno many years ago, before he had any of that gray hair. My how time fly's when you're having fun!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
"Sweet " Looks great Bret !........ :) If I can squeeze some time I might ride over and look at it first hand. To be proud of for sure...... :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
That looks great. Like you said it wasn't inexpensive but I think that is a very reasonable price for all the work he did to your bike, trailer, and helmets. Good luck w/it. Brian

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Looks great!

Here's some of mine. It ended up costing me $285 last month at the National Bikers Round up in Ft. Pierce FL. The artist was from Texas, I have his card if anyones interested.

I also know of a Pinstripper in the Palm Beach FL area that did my Burgman early this year. This fellow comes to your home or business.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts