GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear from those of you who have done the Wing Soft seat upgrade. Are you happy with it, did it make a noticeable improvement, or did you end up buying an aftermarket seat anyway? Doesn't make much sense to spend the money on the Wing Soft mod if I'm going to end up buying another seat...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got the WingSoft modifications - the "full meal deal" which includes the back of my seat cut back just a bit for better seat position and the passenger seat and backrest modifications. My wife LOVES the new backrest-attitude. It offers a better position for her back. The WingSoft mods help greatly while maintaining the original cover and look. It is my understanding that we could be MORE comfortable with a new seat like RDL, but we seem to do just fine with this setup. We have 60k miles on the 2018 and have not considered a new seat.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,108 Posts
I got the Wingsoft seat back in June of 2018 when there wasn't much of a choice for seats yet. I'm 5'10" and weigh around 185 lbs..for me the Wingsoft was a hugh improvement over the OEM seat.
I found the Wingsoft to be very comfortable on all my local rides and on trips it was mostly comfortable all day.

I think the Wingsoft was a good value at the time in 2018..but today, I say take the 430 or so dollars it takes for a full Wingsoft seat and put that money into a custom seat built for you...like a RDL...the RDL was 975... twice the price of a Wingsoft, but a RDL is at a much higher level than a Wingsoft....it was worth the money and wait to have one built.
I wish I would had done the RDL in the first place and not spent the money twice looking for a comfortable seat.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the WingSoft modifications - the "full meal deal" which includes the back of my seat cut back just a bit for better seat position and the passenger seat and backrest modifications. My wife LOVES the new backrest-attitude. It offers a better position for her back. The WingSoft mods help greatly while maintaining the original cover and look. It is my understanding that we could be MORE comfortable with a new seat like RDL, but we seem to do just fine with this setup. We have 60k miles on the 2018 and have not considered a new seat.
I won't be having the backrest done, just the front and rear sections of the main seat. Does anyone know the cost for having this done?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I won't be having the backrest done, just the front and rear sections of the main seat. Does anyone know the cost for having this done?
It's on the Wingsoft website
Wingsoft

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm very happy with the wingsoft modification. I can ride all day without discomfort with the wingsoft and LD comfort shorts. I'm not a fan of the RDL seats like the majority seem to be. I just don't like the look and it sits me too high on the bike. Of course, opinions vary.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had the full monty done on my 2019 Tour back in December. Took a nice ride down to see John at his shop. He completed this mod in a couple of hours. Heck of a nice guy. I can say that the comfort has improved greatly. I think if you are keeping a stock configuration, that the Wingsoft is the best mod. It is not perfect though but I think that falls mainly in the seat design and dimensions. Like most of us know, the previous Wing (2003 for me) had a much wider seat pan under your butt. I think that spread the force out more and the hot spots were fewer. That seems to be echoed in many of the aftermarket designs too. I'm happy with the mod and have no plans to spend mega dollars on an aftermarket seat at this time. YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts