GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone from a wing to a Valkyrie interstate? I've had 2 1800 wings, and now I have a ST 1300, really thinking about selling or trading the st for a Interstate, can not afford a wing at this time, pros? cons? I know the Valk likes the juice,.. thanks for any insight..

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
I had a valk interstate and had it converted to a trike. It was a great running machine and the juice usages was no worse than the wing, as I recall. It was much more comfortable than the wing for me. Here is what I had:

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Interstate is a great bike. I had a Standard that I rode for many years when I traded for a Wing. Sometimes I wish I still had it. My son had an Interstate and rode like he stole it, until he crashed it. Seems a little top heavy after riding a Wing though. I'd say go for it. You will want a 2000 or later, as the seat is better. As far a gas goes it will keep up with the Wing, around 35 MPG.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Seen a couple really beautiful Valk's recently; red/white and red/creme with lots of chrome and installed luggage. They were both impressive, and beginning to achieve that true classic look. Funny; both riders told me (after I complimented their bikes) they'd do anything to be able to have the handling and smooth power and cool looks of my white GL1800! :shrug:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I rode a friend of mine's interstate home after he had tires installed. Being used to an 1800, I found that it was VERY heavy in the handle bars at low speeds around town. Running down the highway was just as smooth as my 18 until I found some cross wind. With the fairing mounted to the forks, the wind affected the control like any other fork mounted fairing bike.

No built in cruise control, no reverse for that heavy of a bike and 6 carbs to flood the engine if you don't watch the choke on startup, it would be hard to step down too. My opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Less wind and rain protection. No linked brakes or ABS. Less electronic goodies. Nice pipes; the Interstate will purr until you get into it. Then it growls... But it never roars.

·
Registered
931 Posts
We sold our Valk. Interstate and kept the Wing. We loved both equally.The Interstate is more top heavy.The wing does get better mileage.The Interstate stock seat and riding position are more comfortable. The Valkyrie got attention where ever we went. I think the Valkyrie is mostly bullet proof,we never had one problem in 40,000 miles. For me the wing is easier to ride because it is not as top heavy, and the reverse on the wing does come in handy when you need it. Hope this helps.

G

·
I have a 1999 interstate now - they only made them in 99 and 2000. I have to say I ride the valk twice as much as the wing. I just think it's the bomb.
On the downside it is not as powerful, get's 10mpg less than the wing and is not quite as comfortable. In every catagory the wing is just a bit better even in ride. Front suspension on the valk is the same as most harleys - showa inverted.
But the valk sound so cool (stock mufflers with silencers added) and the lack of faring is more "purist" to me.
I had a 97 standard which was about the same and even got the same mileage - 34 on average.

Even though the GL is better in all ways, I would part with the wing before the v3

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My brother owns a Valk.

He likes riding my wing.

He likes being seen on the valk.

I have to admit, the Valk is a beautiful bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
valkyrie

Thanks guys, I just dont want to be disappointed, if I get a valk, ans storm your valk is sic!!!wow

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
That is one nice looking trike!!!

I had a valk interstate and had it converted to a trike. It was a great running machine and the juice usages was no worse than the wing, as I recall. It was much more comfortable than the wing for me. Here is what I had:

·
Registered
2012 GL1800 Navi,XM ,ABS. Black and Silver
101 Posts
99 Interstate vs. 2008 GL1800

I currently have both in my garage and it may stay that way. My valk has many upgrades such as ultimate seat, progressive springs, FX4 windshield, cobra 6x6 exhaust and I've done the trunk removal modification. It can be reinstalled in about 10 minutes if you need it. Love the look and sound of the valk and in the summer it is much cooler than the GL1800. I bought the 1800 with the thought of comparing the two and deciding on one then selling the other. Still haven't been able to make my mind up. The GL1800 is more powerful, the valk is more comfortable. The GL1800 gets better mpg, the valk is convertible (ride more without the trunk than with it). Think the GL1800 handles better, but it should with 8 years of technological advancements to it's credit. If you like attention you will definitely get it with valk, she's a head turner. If Honda would offer the valk in a 1800 version I would buy one tomorrow. Good luck and if I make a decision I may have a beautiful Interstate for sale or will it be a 08 GL1800 :shrug:

·
Registered
419 Posts
loved my interstate, will be getting another one , did not get to take any day trips as my s/o always wanted the wing for day rides, but for riding around and going back and forth to work it was awesome. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I have a 1999 interstate now - they only made them in 99 and 2000.
I guess my old Black and Gold 2001 IS was just a cheap Chinese knock-off... :roll:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I purchased my 2009 wing from a man who owns 6 Valks. He purchased the wing and found they liked the Valk's better. Only put 3000 miles on the wing in over 2 years. He is a very tall 6'6" and found the wing did not suite his frame.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Thanks guys, I just dont want to be disappointed, if I get a valk...
I had a 1999 regular valk before trading for the GW. The GW has much more power and has far better handling... I was amazed at the difference when test riding. My valk had a mustang seat with backrest for improved comfort, but was not as good as my stock GW seat with a Utopia.

I got 25 MPH on the Valk. Had no cruise control (did have a throttle lock) and no gas gauge etc. No radio, etc.... all nice little things to have on the GW. And there is no way my wife would ride on the back of the valk the 3,000 miles we just did on the GW together.

If I had to dump my GW and go back to a Valk, I could do it, but I would not like it. It's a fine machine, but it is not a GW "lite".

My wife kept her VTX 1800 for a while thinking she would ride it some, and her GW some. It sat in the garage for over 6 months and never got road after she got use to her GW. She had no desire going back to her Vtwin "Bull"... so we sold it. (I always teased her that riding the VTX 1800 was like riding a bull... I never liked riding it.)

If you really, really like a GW, I don't think you're going to find a bike that's a great substitute for it.

It's kinda like if you had a V8 Mustang Cobra convertable and had to sell it and get a V6 basic Mustang Hardtop. Same basic car, but two completely different machines in reality.

A pic from the last day I saw her...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wow, Destindoc, great profile photo

·
Registered
922 Posts
Has anyone gone from a wing to a Valkyrie interstate? I've had 2 1800 wings, and now I have a ST 1300, really thinking about selling or trading the st for a Interstate, can not afford a wing at this time, pros? cons? I know the Valk likes the juice,.. thanks for any insight..
I went from a GoldWing to a standard Valkyrie in 2000 which is before the 1800 GoldWings came out. I then bought a 2005 GoldWing in 2005 to trike it for my wife and rode the 1800 for several thousand miles waiting on the trike kit. To me, the Valkyrie and the Wing are two different rides. The Valkyrie is more comfortable for me and I'm not a frame mounted fairing fan and don't listen to radios. I still ride my Valkyrie and will cntinue to do so as long as I can find parts.

The point is - You will be ok on a Valkyrie.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I bought a Standard 1997 Valk this spring and still have my 08 Wing. The Valk is definitely top heavy compared to the Wing. As others have said the Wing handles way better but the Valk turns more heads.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts