GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wing has been sitting in the garage with a trickle charger attached. I tried to start it the other day and there is nothing. When the key turns on there is no sign of power. I hooked up the jump box and it started, but shuts off after removing the box. Usually when this happens with a car, it’s needs belt work are a new alternator. Have any of you had this problem? It was running good when I stored it 2 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Someone will ask the year and mileage before long If you had it hooked up to a trickle charger instead of a maintainer the battery might be toast. I would have the battery tested first and make sure cables are real clean and tight. There is no belt on the alternator, it is direct drive.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
If you have a volt meter, before removal of the battery from the motorcycle, measure the DC voltage. I'm gonna guess and say it's probably *not* 11 volts or higher.

A battery maintainer uses much less current to keep the battery charged when not in use (like over 30 days...)

Trickle Chargers – They slowly and steadily recharge 6V and 12V batteries to bring them back to a full charge, which is great for deeply discharged batteries. However, traditional trickle chargers often require manual operation and don't know when to stop charging; they will continue until they are unplugged or disconnected. Leaving a battery connected to a trickle charger for too long can lead to overcharging, causing damage to the battery.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
My Wing has been sitting in the garage with a trickle charger attached. I tried to start it the other day and there is nothing. When the key turns on there is no sign of power. I hooked up the jump box and it started, but shuts off after removing the box. Usually when this happens with a car, it’s needs belt work are a new alternator. Have any of you had this problem? It was running good when I stored it 2 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In order for the alternator to work it has to have a good battery in the circuit. Yours is shorted and has a high resistance. Replace it.:smile2:

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bad battery.

Test and replace if needed. Most auto parts stores can test a 12v battery.

Ps...I'd skip the trickle charger in the future. Use either a battery maintainer or nothing if you use the bike every couple of months.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your bike not starting BUT I truly believe, that many of us just learned about the difference between a battery "trickle charger" and a battery maintainer... Very interesting knowledge to know....
I do have a brand new Yuasa motorcycle battery , sitting in my office as we speak, [I have not mixed the acid in battery as of yet]

Ronnie

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your bike not starting BUT I truly believe, that many of us just learned about the difference between a battery "trickle charger" and a battery maintainer... Very interesting knowledge to know....
I do have a brand new Yuasa motorcycle battery , sitting in my office as we speak, [I have not mixed the acid in battery as of yet]

Ronnie
'Trickle charger' doesn't ever reduce output, shich is what kills battery.

'Maintainer' will reduce it's output when battery is charged.

Some 'maintainers' will not start to charge a 'dead' battery as the maintainer thinks that nothing is connected, or that it is improperly connected.
A trickle charger can sometimes recover a battery in this situation -- and charge it enough that a maintainer can be used to complete the charge.
I've usually found that a battery drained enough that the trickle charger recovery method is required has lost much of it's useful life, and will watch it more carefully for signs that it is time to replace.

Assuming your Yuasa battery is still in the box, it will have very good instructions for fill and initial charge.

Be fussy about following the 'stand time' after fill / before charge and 'charge rate' for initial charge and the battery will serve you better.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Trickle charger NOT the way to go.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Bad Battery. Had mine do the same even though it was on a Battery Tender.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts