GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks 4 the tips for storing the wing over winter :D
Now I have to store the '04 250 Rebel 4 winter . Any suggestions ,please .
1 Change oil ( is there a filter)?
2 Plug & bag the tail pipes
3 Mothballs under the bike
4 Use the BatteryTender
Have I missed anything ? THANKS in advance

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would also fill the tank with gas (non-oxygenated if it's not to hard to find) and put some Stabil or Seafoam in it. After I ran the bike to get the fresh fuel in the system, I would turn off the fuel and empty the carb bowls. I think fuel system problems are the biggest concern when storing your bike for the winter.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Fill tires up with air - max recommend pressure - they always leak down during winter

Fill gas tank all the way up - keeps air out and minimizes corrosion

Put stabil or seafoam in gas to keep gas from breaking down and turning into varnish/gel. If you dont, it will gum up the carbs big time.

Run engine with the treated gas for 15 minutes - get treated gas into the fuel lines and into carbs.

Fog engine - treats carbs, cylinders, valves, pistons, etc. with a film of oil so rust is kept to minimimum

Shut er down and shut off fuel valve. Drain carb float bowls - keeps carbs from gumming up with crappy old gas. Treated gas from above will be a help to minimize this problem.

Charge battery back up a couple times during the storage period. Every 2 or 3 months is about right. If you can take battery out, charge it and keep it in a warm place, even better.

Finally, do whatever to keep rodent problems to minimum - tape off exhaust and use dryer sheets, moth balls, peppermint oil, fox urine, mouse traps, take your pick. They all work to some extent but none of them are 100% guarentee.

Go visit your toys from time to time during winter and check for damage. Fix it now and it may be a much smaller problem than checking it in the spring.

The above is the basic procedure for all engines with carbs. Fuel injected engines are another story. Fogging oil may screw up your injectors and/or sensors.

I don't winterize my goldwing. Just treat the fuel and start it up once a month or at least every other month and let it run till she gets all the way warmed up - again about 15 minutes. Every winter there is a day that the temp gets above 20 degrees. Go start the bike and pray for summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts