GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just shut off the bike, but strange sound came out and would not shut off. Disconnected positive terminal and bike shut down. Reconnected the terminal and nothing but a clicking seem to be coming from under the seat. What should I look for? Can the bike be rolled and jumped/

Stuck in Bristol, Va

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yes put it in 2nd or 3rd and get it rolling with the key on and let out the clutch and be ready to adjust when it starts.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
What kind of sound and where from?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Yes put it in 2nd or 3rd and get it rolling with the key on and let out the clutch and be ready to adjust when it starts.

:agree::agree: "PROBABLY" MAKE SURE THE STARTER DOES NOT RUN ALL THE TIME!!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I know it is a weekend and dealers are closed but you have several nearby:

Atlas Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki

2377 Lee Highway Briston, VA 24202

Mark 4 Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki

2073 Chapman Road Wytheville, VA 24382

Do you have the GWRRA Gold Book? If not and you have not found some way to get it running I have sent you a PM with my phone number and maybe we can work something out. I am about 10 hours from you as I am east of Richmond, VA. But willing to try to help find a solution.

harvey

·
Registered
183 Posts
How did you attempt to shut it down? Key? kickstand? Engine off switch? By your brief description it sounds like an ignition problem.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clicking sound seems to be coming from area of the rear seat. Press starter button, one click. Tried shutting down by any method.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I hate to ask but..............is the kill switch turned or is the reverse button in? Don't ask me why I know!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you gone through all of the fuse block? Any melted wires or blown fuses?

It would kill me to think that it could just be a bad battery. Needless to say, not being able to turn off an engine by all three means, other than disconnecting the battery terminal, leads me to think that it is ignition related. I'm not an expert mechanic, but I have seen one on tv.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took of side cover to access battery and fuses. The click is coming from the rear, aft, of the battery.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Check ignition relay located in a plastic oblong tray under the seat,under the passengers butt.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything can wait until tomorrow,since I am sitting in my room having a beer. Tomorrow is another day.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you can walk,,or find someone there to go to Wal Mart and buy you a cheap digital multi meter,for about $25 bucks ( they will have them in the household area junk) you can probably trace things down,,,,maybe.
Simply see what you have for battery voltage both static,,and then when you tap the start button. See what the voltage is mainly when tapping on the start button. If your voltage goes to almost nill when tapping the starter button either your battery is kaput,,,or your starter ,or starter relay is grounding for whatever reason.
Curious did this "Would not shut off" thing happen when you pulled into refuel,or did you sense something was not running right while riding?
One more thing,, what has been added in regards to extra farkles on your bike that may be causing a ground to positive situation?
Good Luck,,,and get that beer drank!!!!

Take Care,
BC

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Took of side cover to access battery and fuses. The click is coming from the rear, aft, of the battery.
Click from rear aft of the battery is the stater relay, A and B.

Strange sound you heard could have been the starter running all the time..

If you can get help yes you can push start it. But not by yourself.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kit, Where are the A and B relays, what do they look like and can I get them at auto parts store.

I am parked on a hill.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit, Where are the A and B relays, what do they look like and can I get them at auto parts store.

I am parked on a hill.
No , not available at auto parts stores, Not these ones. If that is the situation, sounds like it, but could be a loose connection, a corroded one, loose battery cable, etc. But the fact you heard something when you shut the bike down still spinning or working, sounds like a melted relay. starterrelays Photo Gallery by fred harmon at pbase.com

If by yourself you get one shot on that hill. Start the bike in third gear, start coasting in neutral and shift up twice, pop the clutch ..........

There is a better photo on here somewhere, just forget where it is. Techdude posted it the other day.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again. I'll get into it tomorrow morning. Or jump it and go to Knoxville and get the relays on Tuesday.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
I would say, your "A" starter relay hungup and kept power going to the "B" starter relay which in turn was spinning your starter the whole time since you had started the bike before the shutdown problem. You will need both relays replaced and possibly the starter, but I hope not because it is pricey. Pull fuse #12 and see if the clicking stops. Here is the picture of the relay's. Just for perspective, the battery's positive post is the red thing near the bottom left of the picture. The "B" relay has the two large blue connections on it and the "A" relay is hidden behind the other 3 connectors.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thanks again. I'll get into it tomorrow morning. Or jump it and go to Knoxville and get the relays on Tuesday.
Well just cause we think it is that, does not mean it is for sure. Just replacing the parts may or may not be the solution.

A tester and tracing out the circuits will tell the answer. A bit of help would not hurt too, in any event you do have to access them ,and test across the main contact points both when the ignition is off to eliminate the fact something is making contact when it should not, and or if it is not making contact when it should.

Funny things do happen, such as the ignition relay may now be bad, and with something like this although it does sound like the relay, indicates a starting point, it may or may not be that and some tests with a meter are in order before just replacing parts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts