GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home tonight I was waiting at a light, and when it turned green I looked both ways (a habit of mine) and everyone was either stopped or stopping. Apparently, since the car next to my left was not pulling out quickly enough, a woman in the crossing road decided to run the red light and beat him across. I assume she didn't even see me. She just decided to stomp on the gas and cross.

I spotted her SUV out of the corner of my eye, took a closer look and knew that if I stopped I would be dead in her path - so I gunned it in first gear.

She missed me, by probably less than two feet. She didn't even slow down. By the time I eased up, seemingly a second or so later, I was already nearing 50 MPH.

I have never been more thankful for all of that torque and speed! I would not have made it on my old Shadow.

·
Registered
325 Posts
glad to hear you made it out ok........

she saved my butt last weekend, ........ I was at a light at a Y Intersection......... Heard screeching tires, I punched it out through a red light and in front of oncoming traffic, Seeing cross traffic coming closer, I gunned her possibly to red line... I am not sure wasnt keeping a eye on tach.. shot out of harms way in a instant..... gotta love all 1832 0f them cc's

Kicker is I was sitting at the light without my brakes applied :roll: , it may have appeared that I was moving to the cager..... even though traffic light was red. Needless to say, Im tapping lights at all times now.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
The beauty of "power". it can get you into trouble and it can save your Bacon !

Glad that it all worked out well.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Glad u made it........

It appears the good Lord was watching over you.....

JD

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
So, are you going to be one of the first in line to purchase the 2005 2300cc, 175hp Wing? MORE POWER!! :D

Glad you dodged the bullet! :) :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red said:
Glad you dodged the bullet! :):)
Maybe that should read, "Glad the bullet dodged the truck"? :wink:

·
Registered
263 Posts
wow..close one. Glad you hit the gas in time. This bike has some definite guts. I love geting on the GSP (expressway) throught the toll plaza and pick my place in the traffic. The acceleration is great. Saved your butt to and your not freezing up and getting whacked.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wings engine

Glad you made it Stormbringer, kinda of proves that old saying, HE WHO HESITATES IS LOST. I would be willing to bet that lady was talking on a cellphone.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Experiences like this are the reason for certain components of the MSF courses. Emphasis is put on ALWAYS downshifting to first as you stop and staying in first gear (not neutral) at lights so a fast getaway can be made if Bubba should come screeching up behind you. It is also important to keep an eye in the mirrors and to be aware of the cross traffic so you know if crossing is safer than a quick turn. Also, if there is a car stopped ahead of you, don't get up too close. Leave space so you can turn out and go up over the curb if you see or hear Bubba coming. A quick trip to the bushes is better than getting sandwiched.

As for the person deciding to blow the light, riders need to take responsibility for their own safety. NEVER ASSUME that the other driver is going to do the right thing. Trusting a stop sign or light, yield sign or other traffic device is foolish. Don't trust peoples turn signals either. They can and will turn without using them (blinker fluid is expensive, you know), and when they do signal, they will often go straight anyhow. Don't make your move until they clearly make theirs. You can even anticipate people's lane changes if you have been watching how they have been driving and the traffic ahead.

Hopefully, others will learn from these experiences and not put themselves in harm's way. There may be situations that you can't control or anticipate, but more often, good observation and mental skills will keep you from having to use any physical skills or heroic maneauvers to get out of trouble.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Amen to that BobC. All good advice especially the part about not kicking her down into neutral. Having her in first gear at a stop light also saved my bacon once. I would have had no time to even grab the clutch and stomp it into first before Bubba got there in his mudbuggy.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Stormbringer glad you got away safe. Great tips from Bob C.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Always "Leave Yourself An Out"!

That's an old safety slogan from the 60's but it's as true today as it was then.

Well before I ever heard that slogan I had a habit of doing just that and one night on the way back to the AFB East of Denver it payed off for myself and a buddy that was on the back.

When comming up to a Green Light on East Colfax I got behind a line of stopped cars. Seems the one in front had a wheel fall off so everyone saw what had happened and stopped EXCEPT the car behind me. As I sat there with a good distance between the bike and the car in front I saw a car comming up from the rear a a good clip in the mirror, then the brakes were locked with sliding tires etc. To avoid being in the middle of the Sandwich that happened a few seconds later I poped the clutch and launched the bike up on the sidewalk. As we sat there the real scarry part happend as the driver of the car in the rear came running up to me with her arms around me calling my name. What was so scarry was that she had gained at least double her body weight sense HS and I didn't have a clue who this "Stranger" was. Nice gal and we met later for a followup on old times but that was a hell of a way to start off a reunion. :wink:

It all turned out OK for most of the drivers in the line with only 2 totals and no injuries along with the need for two of us on the sidewalk to change our shorts. :)

Just remember "LEAVE YOURSELF AN OUT", It may save your life. 8)

Jerry

·
Registered
170 Posts
God, a quick GL1800, quick mind and common sense go a long way in my book. Glad you and your ride are O.K.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Why didn't the South Dakota congressman make a new political presitence, politicians can run STOP signs at 70 MPH. None of us are safe, even in cages.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Wing's Engine Saved My Life

You came, you saw, you rode on....VERY FAST !!!

Glad you made it out of it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For situations like you discribed is the reason I traded in my twin Kawasaki and got the Wing. Its power has gotten me out of more than one jam. The only thing I assume when riding is that I'm invisiable to the cages and I ride accordingly. Dave

·
Registered
169 Posts
What's kept me alive on 2 wheels for 30 years is this operating philosophy:
50% of the other drivers can't see me.
The other 50% are out to get me.

Very defensive driving, stay focused, and scan constantly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts