GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember this heads-up if thinking of installing 'wings'.

I just returned from a trip of about 160 miles, with my wife as a passenger.
She told me that this is the most uincomfotable ride she has ever taken due to the extreme heat. We have ridden in many hotter conditions, and the only difference is that now I have ' wings ' installed to allow blocking some of the air when cool outside.

I never realised that there is a big downside when considering wings, but there is. I can now only block the air flow to my hand and waist area, or open it up and get extremely warm air flowing across me and my passenger. The ride was almost unbearable.

It is time for me to remove the wings, and is hardly worth the effort to re-install them for cool weather riding , as I live in Florida. ( Not had them long).

This info is not directed at any manufacturer. It is mean as a heads up when considering installing these wings, and for me, it was a waste of time and money.

Enjoy the ride.

Harryco.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Question for you. When you say you opened the wings, do you mean you opened both wings, on each side, next to your knees? If so, opening the lower of the two wings (one on each side) brings in hot air from the radiators.

When I use mine, I'll open the upper two wings (by my knees) for cooler air (if that is possible in the desert) and leave the lowers closed. When the temps drop, I'll close the upper two vents and open the lowers (they don't put out much heat when it is 30 degrees).

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If it is hot, over say 95ish, close them up and block the air coming in. It is still hot but you will have stopped the blast furnace effect and controlled the evaporation rate.

Just came to Lafayette from home and it was over 100 until the last 55 miles or so. Very comfortable with the wind not hitting me. When the temps dropped, it was a nice ride with the 88 degree air coming in.

Read some of Bubba1's riding in the heat posts. No since in reinventing the wheel and he probably explains it better than I can. I was wearing mesh this trip, because the humidity was a killer, but still comfortable when moving.

I know all this defies logic, but it works.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Question for you. When you say you opened the wings, do you mean you opened both wings, on each side, next to your knees? If so, opening the lower of the two wings (one on each side) brings in hot air from the radiators.

When I use mine, I'll open the upper two wings (by my knees) for cooler air (if that is possible in the desert) and leave the lowers closed. When the temps drop, I'll close the upper two vents and open the lowers (they don't put out much heat when it is 30 degrees).
:agree:
We have only been riding over 100 degree's once this year, (and 2 weeks of 90's) and my wings are a must! I removed the lowers from the engine guards to install highway pegs and the heat coming from the motor was cooking my shins! I put the slightly modified lower wings back on.
I also have wings on the underside of mirrors. I really like my wings!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Ok sports fans. People who live in the desert in Africa wear lots of clothes to keep the heat out. I rarely if ever open my lower "wings" and only on occasion do I open my upper below the mirror "wings" and only then halfway for a gentle breeze instead of a hot wind. Next, though it's counter intuitive, I rarely if ever remove my lower crash bar homemade air dams. They prevent the air from the hot road surface coming over the headers and valve covers & blowing in on me. Plus, you will actually be cooler if you wear a long sleeved cotton white t-shirt instead of mesh. Mesh never helped keep me cool especially if in the sun - nothing there to absorb the perspiration.

:fullsize:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've been riding with Baker wings now for 4 summers here in sunny Fla with no problems. I open the top wing on either one side or both. I only open them half way or less. I also keep the windshield vent open about half way. Yes it is hot but not that bad until I have to stop.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In reply to some of the questions, I do have lower wings as well, near the feet area, but they do not seem to be the problem.

For me, and my passenger, the wings fitted under the mirror is where the problem lies.
Without these wings, there is a considerable breeze that is felt by both people on the bike, but mostly by the passenger. We wear mesh type breathable jackets, and have always liked them, with no overheating problems.
With the mirror wings, that breeze is taken away with the wings in the closed position, and it is like sitting in an oven. If those wings are adjusted to allow air movememnt, that hot air coming from the radiator is funnelled directly at the rider, and passenger. It is now as though you are sitting in the airflow from a powerful hair drier blowing at maximum heat !

We are not new to riding. I started in my teens and am now retired.

I do understand about moving the mirror wings, and the adjustable discharge grills near the knees.
Our body overheating problem only cropped up after fitting the wings.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was always satisfied with the temp control before fitting the wings. The wind hitting the passenger was the reason I fitted the wings, but there are too many disadvantages temperature wise with the wings fitted.
I will remove the wings before taking another trip.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Harry.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
We were very hot for about 2500 miles of our trip last month through the mid-west. The Wing is excellent at blocking air to the riders; works great when it's cold outside. Except we needed something to direct the air in on us. I would stick my hands out into the air stream and direct air in and it made me feel much cooler, even in the high temp, high humidity areas. I don't buy that keeping air off you is going to keep a rider cooler. I found just the opposite. Temps were in middle to high 90's with humidity above 65% with the heat index well above 100*. I sure wanted to dump my windshield and fairing.

·
Registered
391 Posts
With the mirror wings, that breeze is taken away with the wings in the closed position, and it is like sitting in an oven. If those wings are adjusted to allow air movememnt, that hot air coming from the radiator is funnelled directly at the rider, and passenger.
I'm not gonna say you're not hot, but no way is the air from the
radiator getting to you from the mirror wings.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not gonna say you're not hot, but no way is the air from the
radiator getting to you from the mirror wings.
:agree: no way mirror hand wings are putting heat on you. I have the complete baker set and the only way I can add heat to the ride is to remove the lowers off the crash bars or open the bottom fiaring set. The top fairing set and mirror set always cool the ride.

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I take my lower leg Wings off in the summer. I use them only for keeping my legs and feet warm in the freezing temperatures during the fall and spring. There is no way I would ever ride with them in 90+ degree temps. Been there. Done that. Made that mistake. The leg wings reduce the amount of air flowing across the radiator outlets, and can allow the heat from the rads to enter the rider area.

No two bikes are configured the same way. Everything we put on your bike has the potential to alter the air flow, and often we don't even realize we are causing a problem. If you have a trike, the problems and solutions will be different than a two wheeler, and nothing that is state here will apply to your situation.

For most people the Baker hand wings and fairing wings are life savers in the heat. Just don't open the lower half of the lower Wings. Only open the hand wings and upper portion of the lowers.

It can get to the point where nothing helps, and getting a lot of air is just a blast furnace. Hot is hot, but the heat from the engine should not be contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree::agree:
I've been riding with Baker wings now for 4 summers here in sunny Fla with no problems. I open the top wing on either one side or both. I only open them half way or less. I also keep the windshield vent open about half way. Yes it is hot but not that bad until I have to stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree with other posts

Wing adjustment is critical. Each season brings different adjustments.
I have had wings on 2 different goldwings and would not be without them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As my final comment, thanks to all that made suggestions on how to use the wings.
It was mentioned that trikes are different to bikes, and there could be my problem. I ride a trike.

I have spent my life in the A/C field and do understand the difference between temperature, and air flow. The heat being directed at me and the pasenger, with the mirror wing open, is far hotter than the surrounding air. There is no doubt about that.

Last year we rode in the Moab area of Utah at over 100 degrees, and had no personal overheating problems. That is before I installed the wings.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Ride, and keep your cool .

Harryco.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Harry,

The lower air deflectors that mount on the crash bars are larger for use on the trikes. They're much wider than the ones for the 2-wheeled bikes. You might give those a try and see if that makes a difference.

I installed the full set of wings on my bike and it was the best thing I've done for air management. Granted I ride one-up, but on the occasions my wife rides with me, she's never complained about excessive heat from the bike--just the heat in general when it's in the 90's or above.

The physical characteristics of the trike conversion probably do alter the overall air flow on the wing, mostly due to having the wide rear end for the two wheels and fenders, hence the wider lowers on the crash bars. I also suspect that some of the air moving rearward is deflected back forward then up, from hitting the rear fenders. If that's the case, there may be not much you can do with the air wings, other than to remove them. Try fiddling around with various positions of the wings before giving up on them. You may find there is a "sweet" spot that works. Besides, if you ever go on a long trip, you may find yourselves farther north in an area that's cooler, and you'd welcome the extra heat brought in. Good luck.

·
Registered
927 Posts
As my final comment, thanks to all that made suggestions on how to use the wings.
It was mentioned that trikes are different to bikes, and there could be my problem. I ride a trike.

I have spent my life in the A/C field and do understand the difference between temperature, and air flow. The heat being directed at me and the pasenger, with the mirror wing open, is far hotter than the surrounding air. There is no doubt about that.

Last year we rode in the Moab area of Utah at over 100 degrees, and had no personal overheating problems. That is before I installed the wings.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Ride, and keep your cool .

Harryco.
Please understand, that while nobody is trying to deny your experience, we're saying that's it's different than ours, and that we're baffled as to why that's the case. Maybe especially me.

I have a trike, and all the Baker air wings. The small mirror wings, the larger dual fairing mounted wings, the even larger forward trike wings. They all have been effective for me in making hot weather riding cooler. The trike wings also keep a lot of dirt off the rear fenders. You have no doubt the mirror wings are blowing hotter air at you, I have no doubt they, when open, work well for me, keeping me cooler than I would be otherwise, by creating a breeze.

I'm simply baffled why our experience is so different. Maybe it's because I've only ridden in the low 90s? Maybe it's the combination of wings? Maybe because I wear mesh gear? And I don't understand how the forward mounted mirror wings would be getting "much hotter air" than the ambient air. Where's the heat source?

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Harry, I would like to add some input about the trike issue.

There are not too many complaints about engine heat in the rider area on this bike, and that is why your comments were met with confusion.

Over the years that I have been on this board, I have slowly begun to piece together a common thread in the complaints that have been posted here. In a disproportionate number of cases, I have noticed that these riders were usually riding trikes.

Compare our bike to a GL1500 On those bikes, air is forced through the radiator in the front and forced out the side fairing air exhausts by high pressure.

On the GL1800, there is no huge front intake or high pressure. Our cooling system relies on a vacuum that is created by a venturi effect, created by air rushing past the exhaust vents at high speed. The hot air is literally sucked across the radiators and pulled out the exhaust vents. That high speed air has to have a free path from the front of the bike all the way past the bike.

On a trike, you have those big rear fenders that block the hot air from continuing past the bike. In front of the rear fender, a high pressure area is created that stalls the air from flowing. All that heat gets trapped, The passenger takes the brunt of it, mostly on the legs, but it can flow upwards as well. And I have no doubt it can even affect the rider as well.

This problem more than likely exists even without Baker Air Wings. But it is not out of the realm of possibility that the Baker's could make it worse, and that might be why you are having a different experience with them than those with two wheelers.

The leg wings that mount to the crash bars can have the same effect in stalling the venturi effect.

Obviously I don't have a wind tunnel, or even a trike to experiment with. It is only a theory. My theory is based simply on the observations I have made over the years of reading posts on this board. It wasn't just a wild guess that I thought you might have a trike. Your symptoms fit the pattern perfectly.

Even though we all ride a GL1800, when looking to do air management installs, you are best seeking out the advice of trike owners. In many cases, it may not matter, but in others, I suspect it does.

·
Registered
251 Posts
:shrug:

I can't believe what your saying. I've never heard anyone say that about the wings. :wrong:

By chance, whomever installed the hand/mirror wings, installed them wrong...meaning the left side on the right side etc.? I've seen that done before, but don't know what that might cause regarding air flow/heat?

Also what about the wings on the sides...the two piece ones? Is the larger piece on top of the smaller piece? This is the correct position for an 1800. The 1500 uses the same wings but the smaller wing is mounted on top of the larger one. Are all of yours correctly mounted????

:-?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts