GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a strange thing happen on sunday. I was listening to tunes on the Wing while I was working on my other bike in the driveway. Hours passed and suddenly the radio cut out. I went to check it and turned the key to on from acc. The display appeared as it does when you turn the radio off. None of the buttons affected anything. Hit audio numerous times FM1 2 Weather aux and the display did not change, every thing stayed off. I thought dang I blew a fuse. Well I had to move the bike to get some room to pull the side cover so I started her up. The radio came on...... :shrug: I did notice that she didnt fire up as perky as normal but that is all. Is there some sore of smart in the system that says "hey stupid you battery is draining!"?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Don't know about a SMART SYSTEM but I do know as your battery goes down different stuff will stop working. I blew a fuse for my cruise on my 02 (the battery will not charge with that fuse blown) and as I was riding I noticed different thing stopped working, like the radio, and such. Maybe your battery was just getting low.

·
Vendor
17,774 Posts
The ECM monitors voltage. The last thing the Wing wants to do is start and run. If battery voltage begins to drop, the stuff not needed to get it started is tunred off. If such a thing happened in the middle of no where, we don't have the luxury to escape into a cage for safty from people, weather, or other elements. The bike is just doing what it is programmed to do ... have battery voltage to turn the starter and run.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I was hoping it was somethin like that. Getting ready to head in the near future and dont have a lot of time for a service call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts