GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am strongly considering having John from Bike Solutions in Austin, TX modify my stock heated seat on my 2006 Goldwing to accommodate my 6'4", 35" inseam frame... Problem is with all my gear on, my left knee is just almost touching the fairing and is occasionally pushing the buttons! :?

I would like to get references from anyone who has had Bike Solutions modify their seat. Thanks in advance - John seems like a very honest and sincere cat, just want to know how the modifications worked for anyone else - specifically for the taller riders.

Cheers!
Brian

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seat Mod

Brian,

I had the WingSoft Large modification done on my bike and it set me back about 2 inches. I don't feel like my legs are up under me like I did when the seat was stock. I really like the extra dense foam and the fact that I can stretch my legs a little better with the Large mod.

I added some highway pegs and am very comfortable on long trips. John is a square dealer and will work with you. The price is also a good enticement. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss more details.

rab

G

·
0 Posts
I am also interested in having this modification done to my seat. I would be interested in seeing any photo's on someones bike other than the ones on John's website.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Before I ordered my custom seat, I sat on a wing that has John's modification done. Very professional looking job, but at 6'7" with a 36" inseam, it just wasn't quite enough.

The price is hard to beat, but I felt that for me, I needed more. Mike at Diamond sat me on their "rig," measured me and made a custom "Big Boy" that sat me back 3.5" and up 1.5" and with Risers added, long trips are a breeze. The other plus with the seat is if I upgrade my wing, I still have my stock seat.

Now if someone can just fix my back! :wink:

Bartman

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the WingSoft seat is one option that retains the OEM Heated Seat and therefore the heated handgrips feature. The other option is:

Russell Day-Long Touring Saddles...

Money is not really an issue here - so which is best? Or, is there another option I haven't considered that will retain the exact OEM heated seat feature?

Thanks!
B

·
Registered
270 Posts
seat

Wingsoft seat solved my problem of my knees hitting the fairing.

It's not just a physical thing, the extra room makes you feel more comfortable.

IMHO, it is well worth the money.

However, if money is no object, someone will be glad to relieve you of a bunch of it, by building you a custom heated seat.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Because of your inseam length, I really think you would be happier with the Russell Day Long since they can get it to move farther up and back. Be aware that it may take them two or three trys to get it right. BUT, that is just an opinion based on my experience with both seats and there is no way for you to know without trying the seats themselves.

Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: seat

ytownmac said:
However, if money is no object, someone will be glad to relieve you of a bunch of it, by building you a custom heated seat.
Perhaps I should have phrased this better - willing to spend a 'reasonable' amount of money to make it right! 8)

So the wingsoft worked for you eh? What is your height and inseam? Would help me to know!

B

·
Registered
958 Posts
Brian.

I am going to be in Irving Texas next week. I can bring a Large demo seat with me. If that would make it easier for you, let me know

John

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
John/Bike Solutions LLC said:
Brian.

I am going to be in Irving Texas next week. I can bring a Large demo seat with me. If that would make it easier for you, let me know

John
John, I live in Carrollton so I might be interested in meeting you in Irving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
wing soft

i'm 6/1 215 and getting john's large wingsoft was i guess the best investment i've done yet to my wing.. great improvement

·
Registered
457 Posts
You might be really happy with the Wingsoft. My hips were really pinched by the stock seat and I couldn't get my legs comfortable. I got the large Wingsoft with the Utopis backrest and the back seat mod for my wife.

I found it to be very cost effective over other seats and I couldn't be more pleased.

One thing ou might want to research though...

When I was choosing my seat I looked on most of the boards to see what people were selling from their bikes. I saw lots of used Diamond BigBoys, Russell Daylongs, Corbins etc. The one thing I did not and have not seen was a used Wingsoft for sale. From that I surmised that people must really like them because they don't seem to want to part with them.

Just my 3 cents

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John/Bike Solutions LLC said:
Brian.

I am going to be in Irving Texas next week. I can bring a Large demo seat with me. If that would make it easier for you, let me know - John

John,

That would be very possible - when are you going to be in Irving?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
958 Posts
I will be in Irving all week I arrive Sunday night. I will be available in the evenings all week after 5PM. I am going to drive the truck so I can bring a regular and Large demo seat with me. If you call my business phone number, it will go direct to my cell. Leave a message and I will call you back. I will be attending a training class, so I might not be able to answer the phone.

John
512-394-9601

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: seat

BrianGorrell said:
ytownmac said:
Perhaps I should have phrased this better - willing to spend a 'reasonable' amount of money to make it right! 8)

So the wingsoft worked for you eh? What is your height and inseam? Would help me to know!

B
I'm 6'3", with a 34" inseam.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I had the whole seat done on mine last summer. I have enjoyed it and consider it well spent money. The wife was a little unsure about her seat modifications, but after several hundred miles, she was happy with it. I had my seat back with 10 days and considering shipping times, that is very good service. Just let him know it is on the way helps John open a spot for your seat to be done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I think I am convinced John with Bike Solutions is the way to go.

I had a nice ride on my Goldwing today and if he can move me back two inches I will have it made! the extra comfort will be just a feather in my cap! 8)

The other selling point is I can keep my heated seat working just as it does now - that is real important to me and many of the other options = loosing the OEM heated controls for the seat and grips... Not to mention a better price than the competition...

Now if I can just find someone that will let me pay to rent/borrow a stock seat during the time mine is gone I will be a very happy camper! Any ideas - anyone got a stock GL1800 seat they would like to rent out for a week or so? I would pay for shipping as well (or I live in metro Oklahoma City Area)...

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I could ship you my Wingsoft Large with a Utopia riders backrest and you could try it out if you like. Round trip shipping would probably run between $50 and $70 insured. I guess I can trust you even though yer from Oklahoma. :lol: [I'm a Cornhuskers fan.]

Let me know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts