GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody unhappy with their Wingsoft seat upgrade?

And did anyone opt for the "large" size that allegedly sets you back an inch or two? Was it a good choice for you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wingsoft Large

Slowdog,

Griff, right down the street here in Alexandria. I did some research and spoke with some riders as I was considering the Wingsoft Large. I am 6'6 and definitely need to reposition myself on the Goldwing.

To date I have not made a decision because the feedback I received was mixed. I have also been looking at the Russell Day-Long although a bit more expensive. I understand that John from Wingsoft will be a the event in New York over Memorial Day.

Once it warms up a bit we can head out for a spin. I would be interested to hear what you decide.

Griff

·
Registered
679 Posts
I ordered the large seat modification and yes, I am happy with it. Yes, I do sit back about 2 more inches which allows me to be able to almost straighten my legs to reach my foot pegs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered the large seat modification and yes, I am happy with it. Yes, I do sit back about 2 more inches which allows me to be able to almost straighten my legs to reach my foot pegs.
Roger,

Do you carry a passenger? If so, how is the passenger space compared to prior to the Wingsoft Modifications?

Griff

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RogerC: to put it bluntly....is the wingsoft foam better on the butt? I have an airhawk pad on top of the stock. I was about ready to die after 300 miles on the stock seat...would have turned around if I hadn't found the airhawk in a shop on the road. I ended up surviving a 5000 mile trip, but I know I could be more comfortable.

I am taking a roadtrip in my Land Yacht next week..figured that would be a good two week window to have the upgrade done. I think I may add a Utopia backrest too, since I have been unsatisfied with the Kuryakin that the dealer put on, and I'm sure the Kury won't work well with the larger Wingsoft.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Slowdog, it will take a combination of several add on's, at least for me it did. I'm 6'2" around 260#'s. So the extra leg room really helped. I had the driver, passanger, pass-backrest and the Utopia back rest(Wingsoft large). I'll be honest, (18,000 miles later)the seat still seems stiff but the extra 2" is great along with the back rest. The next add on was the handle bar riser. I was starting to get neck and shoulder pain since I was seating further back. The next add on was the iceing on the cake. This was the Kuryakyn Ergo II Pegs but this was after replacing the 6" arm with the 4 1/2" and then finally they came out with the Mini arms. I can ride around 400 miles then I will need to pull out the Ol WalMart seat cushion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the input. It helps so much when you can get real world reaction to products and not just sales hype.

·
Registered
679 Posts
As for the passenger seat, according to Bike Solutions, you lose about 1" of butt space, but can sit up straighter. I'm 6'1", weigh about 235 and the passenger seat will hold me. If I were to remove the Utopia backrest, I'd gain another inch or two in the passenger area.

The extra foam does feel much better. Due to the cold weather, I have not been able to ride any long distances to give the seat a good test, but the short rides are good.

The extra 2" of driver space (with the large seat modification) is great for me. I have the Iso II pegs with the mini arms, allowing me to almost straighten my legs completely. If I were to take off my Show Chrome deflectors I could probably slip the pegs more forward and straighten my legs completely but I would lose the ability to deflect engine heat off my legs in hot weather.

Its a good thing I have long arms or the handlebar risers might have to be installed. John at Bike Solutions mentioned that I was "borderline" for the risers. Again, a long ride will help me decide about those, too.

I got my seat modified in just over a week, shipping from/to the east coast to/from Texas. Best advice I have is find someone in your area with the Wingsoft seat and ask to sit on it. Where are you located?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Is anybody unhappy with their Wingsoft seat upgrade?

And did anyone opt for the "large" size that allegedly sets you back an inch or two? Was it a good choice for you?
I have the large size plus the passenger back rest & I am happy with the seat...I had the Russel Day Rider on my 1500 & my wife hated it...but she loves the Wingsoft & I am one of those people that "I haven't found the right seat"...but I can ride tank to tank without any trouble.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the Large, with Utopia backrest, installed by John at Wingsoft. Am 6'1" with long legs. I was unable to get comfortable on the stock seat for more than 5 minuets. Felt like I was always sitting on "the boys", if you know what I mean. I even had trouble with "the boys" after the mod. After talking to John I removed the seat cover and took a little foam out of the front of the seat. That did the trick. Now able to sit back in the seat with no pressure. I did add REG risers, Kury floorboards and Erco hyway pegs with 4" arms. Also use beads on the seat for additional hight. Kept the stock passenger backrest. John is a great guy and will work with you. He is also serving our country full time in the Army National Guard.:bow:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The problem with asking a question like this is that everyone's going to have a different opinion. It all depends on what feels good to you. Noone else's but is going to have the same feeling of comfort as yours. I for one love the stock seat. I have ridden many 800 mile days on it and loved it. I added a Utopia backrest to the stock seat and wouldn't trade it for anything. Not everyone thinks the stock seat is that comfortable. It is all personal opinion. Try to find someone that has had it done or who has the seat you are considering and try it out. That is the only way you will know if it works for your behind.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I like my WingSoft Large. There's no way I'd go back to stock. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I'm thinking the seat will be even nicer now that I lost over 70 lbs! :D

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Opinions are not a problem for me....with somehing as personal as the interface between rider and the bike...opinions are exactly what I was seeking. Trying it out is not possible for me for a variety of reasons. But a little positive reinforcement for going with a choice that is slighltly less money is helpful.

So I appreciate all the comments. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
denali

Had the seat redone by wingsoft with the 2inches further back but still not that comfortable on long trips. Bought a used (1000mls) big boy Diamond from ebay and what a huge differance. I can ride 600 plus mls a day and feels like my recliner. Second Diamond and the first on my 1500.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The large with the Utopia back rest worked for me. 6'2" 200lbs with 34" inseam. It took a few hundred miles to get used to it. I used a Aqua Air cushion before John fixed my seat. I tossed the AA out after the break in period and haven't looked back. That was three years ago.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
6'5" WS large :thumbup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the Wingsoft Large and the Utopia Backrest done at the same time and it was a big difference. The passenger backrest was done also to allow for more vertical seating and the difference in the amount of room was not much. I tried different versions of highway pegs but found the Mic-O-Pegs to be the best for me. I also use the Walmart seat cushion in the afternoons. I added the risers and the arms and shoulders are good for the day. I am 6'6" and 270# so I needed to get away from the fairing and get my knees below my hips for comfort. I can move around quite a bit on the seat which helps during the day. I don't do any 500+ mile days so my set-up works for my style of ridding. My buddy likes his stock seat with the Airhawk cushion, but I tried the same combination early on and it was not for me. Good luck... Doug

GET WELL SOON BEV!!!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have the Wingsoft Large, I am 6'2" 34" inseam. the two back and the slight height difference did make alot of difference. It took a couple of thousand miles to soften up the seat though. It felt hard as a brick for those first few rides. Now it fits my rear just fine. That seat, combined with the **** O pegs made all the difference in the world in comfort on the bike.
I have a Utopia back rest and the wife rides with me alot. She is not small and does not feel cramped after the mod at all. (don't tell her I said that, I want to live)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts