GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this engine head cover on the Wingstuff web site and ordered a set. I was planning to hit the road for a cross country trip to Arizona and the order wouldn't be to my house in Virginia until after I left. I had them send it to my destination address instead.
It was there waiting for me when I arrived.
I read the instructions which described it as pretty simple to install.
I matched the first side up to the bike and I could see the Comfort Bar, which is also a Wingstuff product would interfer with the placement. I would have to cut away some of the forward material so the panel would fit around the Comfort Bar mounting bolt on the front frame member of the bike.
My brother in law had some tools but not the type of garage I have back home. Did most of the work on the edge of his front porch.
Drilled a hole in the panel then sawed out the remaining material with a hack saw then cleaned it up with a jewelers file. About an hour for each side of the bike. The panel got pretty scuffed up on the concrete porch but I can clean that up when I get home.

Motor vehicle Hood Trunk Automotive lighting Automotive design

Another problem I found after I got the right side installed is they don't lay real flat on the engine head. There is a slight gap along the valve cover edge.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Rim

I'll have to fix that when I get home as well.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
235 Posts
That looks exactly like the Big Bike Parts Show Chrome covers which I have installed.

Interesting about the install issues. I didn't have any of those issues.

I tried the Electrical Connection covers first. They were a poor fit with edges rubbing the engine head. I also didn't like how back edge of the EC covers were flat and open instead of of wrapping down like the front edge. Just looked unfinished to me. So I shifted to the BBP Show Chrome Cover and been happy with them

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's a Big Bikes Parts product in the gloss black sold through Wingstuff.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
In the photo on their website it looks like they have a piping or trim that goes on the edge of the sheet metal?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That might be just the unpainted edge or photography flash.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did enter this info on their review page.
I would think they (Big Bike Parts) would fit test all their own products together.

·
Registered
2018 GL1800 MT, 1998 Honda Shadow, 2016 Yamaha FJR1300
153 Posts
I installed the ED cylinder head covers last night... not overly impressed with them. There is still a gap on the far side (Furthest away from the bolts)... it will keep some dirt out but not 100%. It does make it easier to clean for sure.

·
Premium Member
19,727 Posts
If you want it black tape it up and paint it. It looks like trash

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Just my opinion.....
I think it looks better without the covers.

I like accessories just as much as the next guy, but sometimes I have to ask myself.........why do I want/need this? :giggle:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Different appeals for each person. I never knock someone else for their personal touches to their bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts