GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have to tread carefully here so as not to be accused of vendor bashing.

I joined the VIP in hopes of paying for the membership on a big order.

For an $800 order of a pretty fair mix of items the savings was $22.

Many items have discounts of pennies and/or no discount at all (monotubes, honda cb, shaft drive oil, etc.). Some items do appear to have a 10% or so discount.

Not saying this is good or bad but it will take quite a lot of purchases to recoup your VIP membership at $39.95.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Are you were sure you were logged in when you made the purchases? I covered the cost of my membership in the first couple of purchases and it was now where near $800's worth.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts

Many items have discounts of pennies and/or no discount at all (monotubes, honda cb, shaft drive oil, etc.). Some items do appear to have a 10% or so discount.

Not saying this is good or bad but it will take quite a lot of purchases to recoup your VIP membership at $39.95.
When they first introduced that program (a few years ago) it was a HUGE $$$ saver. Now, not so much. Your experience mirrors mine which is why I dropped my membership.

Also, they will price match. So with all of the other vendor offering discounts it was just not worth the cost to me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you were sure you were logged in when you made the purchases? I covered the cost of my membership in the first couple of purchases and it was now where near $800's worth.
Yes in fact I printed the cart before joining the VIP and duplicated the same cart after.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Try n find others that need something and put thru your vip - split difference with them-

·
Registered
93 Posts
Even VIP prices can be beat with a bit of looking.

Great Customer Service is nice. Doesn't always happen everywhere. Not always needed either.

I'm not much for asking a vendor to price match. Too much fiddle-fartin around.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Concerns with Wingstuff VIP advertising

If you didn't read my first post you won't know what I'm talking about. But after considering what I had written I thought it best not air it out here, at least not yet. I deleted my post, and sent my concerns directly to Wingstuff. Hopefully they take my observations and comments and right a wrong. We'll see.

Based on their response, I'll repost later.

rj

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I seem to recall doing a little better than that and tend to watch whether I break even or better on such purchases. I have, but I don't think I'll renew next year. I did an order last week for tires and a final surge of stuff (Wing stuff?) before I expire next month, then I'll just live off the land.

BTW, it's only $19.95 to renew. Last year I was on the fence of letting it lapse and the $20 discount kept me in, but now that I'm pretty well kitted out I don't see me recouping even the discounted membership cost.

I do like their service and even the non-VIP prices tend to be competitive.

·
Registered
410 Posts
When they first introduced that program (a few years ago) it was a HUGE $$$ saver. Now, not so much. Your experience mirrors mine which is why I dropped my membership.

Also, they will price match. So with all of the other vendor offering discounts it was just not worth the cost to me.

I concur and that's why I'll never renew again.

First I’d like to say there’s a lot to be said about WIngstuff. They have a helpful staff, outstanding customer support, and a great website. It’s easy to surf, loaded with gear, and the customer reviews are priceless. No sales tax and free shipping is also a plus (but that’s pretty standard for any on-line retailer).

However, it’s buyer beware when it comes to VIP membership. Not everything is as it seems. Not going to tell you not to join, but do your homework before deciding to lay down $40/$20 for membership. Review the examples provided on the VIP page. For those not yet a VIP member, these are pretty much the standard savings you can expect with everything. Are the savings percentages as much as they say? Check for yourself, see what you think.

I sent a couple emails to WS. I’m curious to see how they respond to my observations.

One thing to consider with any online retailer. Even thought it’s easier to automate your orders on-line. Sometimes it pays to place your orders over the phone. You might be surprised to the discounts one can get simply by asking.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It depends on what items you are buying. Some items you can make up the cost of the membership on a single purchase of a few hundred dollars. If you're expecting to pay for itself on tires and oil, which are already very competitively priced, then you're in for a surprise. If you're buying items like Kury parts, aftermarket electronics/electrical items, etc. you're more likely to see a savings quickly. It's not for everyone, but some people will be able to save significant amounts of money on the membership.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts

... and the customer reviews are priceless.
Don't know how to take this one - could be damning with faint praise... ;)

My favorites are the ones where the buyer raves about how great and useful a product is and then ends their review by typing, "Can't wait to install it this weekend!"

·
Registered
744 Posts

You sound like an unhappy customer. My suggestion is shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno, always had good luck myself. Renewal fee is like 20 bucks. I save that just on brake pads, coolant, or whatever.

Some good discounts on some things like foot boards and such as much as 10 percent or more.

I think the only thing it does not apply to is tires, OEM parts, and something else, I forget.

Always had great service and price from Wingstuff:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

They even helped me out with my Nolan Helmet, I found out my ears were too big for such a helmet, so rather than ear surgery we settled on a different helmet. ;)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I too had purchased the VIP membership last November I think. Based on the order I was placing (around $500) I was certainly going to re-coup my membership fee.

However, due to problems on their end on shipping the order out, I emailed them with my concerns and they immediately responded with saying they would refund my membership promptly - which they did.

While I wasn't happy with my order experience, I do have to say that they responded promptly to my concerns and I felt that I was made "whole".

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You sound like an unhappy customer. My suggestion is shop elsewhere.
I wouldn't say "unhappy".

I just felt the value of the VIP program was "oversold" and wanted others to know as Wingstuff does not divulge the discounts of all items before purchase of the VIP membership.

As to shopping elsewhere I did that too with items that were cheaper elsewhere.

Not a knock on Wingstuff as I still ended up buying $900 worth of merchandise (most of it being the Honda CB at $619.99). As a paying customer and paying member of the VIP program I feel justified in relating my experience to other forum members.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Never seemed like I saved that much so I dropped my membership. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I did not renew my VIP for the same reason ,Wingstuff is easy to deal with and if there's a problem they have fixed it for me, but if you shop around you can beat there prices ..I think they are getting a little to much of the market to give the good deals

1 - 19 of 19 Posts