GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2012 the software used to load songs for the BikeMP3 and J&M digital music players was updated to include the 2012 GL1800 as well. The 2012 GL1800's integrated radio essentially has the same USB drive interface as almost all automotive in-dash radios. We installed a new radio with an MP3 player in the wife's Pontiac and created a 32GB thumb drive for it. Did the same for the home stereo using a 64GB USB drive. The only place you can find the software is at WingStuff.

http://wingstuff.com/products/31880...lating-software?context=digital_music_players

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try Media Monkey

I use Media Monkey for all of my radios that have USB drives. My 2013 Ford Edge, 2012 Chrysler 200, and my 2012 Camaro SS and my new Pioneer radio in our old PT Cruiser. You just need to now the format the devise is compatible with for the file conversion.

Media Monkey has a free version that will do every thing you need to. One thing I really like about Media Monkey is it will do sound leveling for your full USB song list so you don't have to play with the volume al the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment Ccutaia1, the WingStuff software was originally released in 2009 for the 2001 thru 2011 Wings. As you may know the J&M and BikeMP3 players are very specific as to how the music is loaded onto the drives. Lots of folks had trouble arranging the songs onto the drive, thus the software evolved at the request of Rick Arnoldo, owner of WingStuff. What most folks might not realize is that the software has evolved with updates and those are free, downloaded from WingStuff using the same passkey. I'm a fan of GNU/GPL software, but am concerned about malware and spyware.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a reason to my madness

Before buying a CD plug in for my Wing I had to find one that I could load my whole song library on, all 30GB. It did not take long to find out I could not do it with all of the made for Goldwing products, so I looked for a Honda product and found Grom products that make parts for Honda car radios, and guess what, also Honda Goldwing, check it out: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_...uetooth_adapter_direct_digital_interface.html

Thanks for the comment Ccutaia1, the WingStuff software was originally released in 2009 for the 2001 thru 2011 Wings. As you may know the J&M and BikeMP3 players are very specific as to how the music is loaded onto the drives. Lots of folks had trouble arranging the songs onto the drive, thus the software evolved at the request of Rick Arnoldo, owner of WingStuff. What most folks might not realize is that the software has evolved with updates and those are free, downloaded from WingStuff using the same passkey. I'm a fan of GNU/GPL software, but am concerned about malware and spyware.

·
Registered
90 Posts
http://www.gromaudio.com/support/usb-faq.html Check under functionality a min of 6 root folders maybe up to 100, 1000 songs per root folder. You need to run a FAT32 filing system and you can get a FAT32 formatting tool from HP.

For my 2008 Wing, it's limited to 10 folders with 99 songs in each folder. The GROM web site and installation guide did not address this, http://www.gromaudio.com/installs/2008 Honda Goldwing, ABS.pdf . Not too many reviews on it though. http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9229 What have you found out?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here is the conversation I just had with the online chat:

I want to load 3100 songs on to a 64gb USB flash drive and divide them up into 6 root folders
David:
depends on the stereo

at least 6 though

maybe more

David:
yes that will be fine. but best to create subfolders as well in these main root folders to organize the music to albums or artists or genre. should be limited to 200 files in a folder but seperating them into subfolders will make it ok to have more designated to the root folder. not a good idea to throw 200+ songs in just root folders
christopher:
Cool, just the answers I was looking for you may have just sold a lot of these once I tell the Goldwing forum what we just talked about, thank you!
David:
Very welcome. While I am in contact with a tech, any other questions?
christopher:
No not until I get the unit

http://www.gromaudio.com/support/usb-faq.html Check under functionality a min of 6 root folders maybe up to 100, 1000 songs per root folder. You need to run a FAT32 filing system and you can get a FAT32 formatting tool from HP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These digital music devices (Grom, J&M, BikeMP3, etal) and Honda GoldWing go through a discovery mode during startup; i.e. turning on the ignition. During discovery mode the display on the GoldWing's CD picture spins like normal and the song track "minute:seconds" timer does not begin to increment with music playing until the music device and GoldWing have completed negotiations. If the music never starts, it may be because the music device, Honda GoldWing and your memory device failed to negotiate number of CD's and number of tracks per CD's. The number of folders and song tracks per folder differs depending on the music device. Between 2001 and 2005 the Goldwing was only able to handle 6 folders. Between 2006 and 2011 Honda changed the software to handle 10 folders. J&M and BikeMP3 each reverse engineered the Goldwing's Panasonic radio proprietary interface with different results. Neither of these devices integrated the "Repeat" and "Random Play" feature (RPT/RDM button on tank), I suspect that the radio deviated from the industry standard. Loading more than 99 songs per folder will deliver unpredictable results as the Goldwing can only handle up to 99 song tracks per folder (it's only a 2 digit display). I played with it on my 2008 pushing the limits only to have it not start or play song tracks from random folders. That's about when I wrote the software that WingStuff sells. The 2012 Wing has a completely new radio that's similar to the Honda automobile and many other in-dash car radios.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will let you know how I make out when I plug all 3100 songs, 29.8 GB on to the Grom unit, they insist it will work and if it will not to return the unit. They also say the repeat and random play work fine on their units, stay tuned!

These digital music devices (Grom, J&M, BikeMP3, etal) and Honda GoldWing go through a discovery mode during startup; i.e. turning on the ignition. During discovery mode the display on the GoldWing's CD picture spins like normal and the song track "minute:seconds" timer does not begin to increment with music playing until the music device and GoldWing have completed negotiations. If the music never starts, it may be because the music device, Honda GoldWing and your memory device failed to negotiate number of CD's and number of tracks per CD's. The number of folders and song tracks per folder differs depending on the music device. Between 2001 and 2005 the Goldwing was only able to handle 6 folders. Between 2006 and 2011 Honda changed the software to handle 10 folders. J&M and BikeMP3 each reverse engineered the Goldwing's Panasonic radio proprietary interface with different results. Neither of these devices integrated the "Repeat" and "Random Play" feature (RPT/RDM button on tank), I suspect that the radio deviated from the industry standard. Loading more than 99 songs per folder will deliver unpredictable results as the Goldwing can only handle up to 99 song tracks per folder (it's only a 2 digit display). I played with it on my 2008 pushing the limits only to have it not start or play song tracks from random folders. That's about when I wrote the software that WingStuff sells. The 2012 Wing has a completely new radio that's similar to the Honda automobile and many other in-dash car radios.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts