GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QUOTE=wingwing;3357081]probably not...(06 and up)

The GL1800 Temp gauge is not really a gauge
.. don't count on it to move if the bike is merely running
hotter than "normal"..
.. it will not move until the bike is about to boil over
then it will go up suddenly.

It works more like an idiot light disguised as a gauge.

Dennis[/QUOTE]

WingWing, I didn't want to high jack the original post, as this has nothing to do with belly pans and overheating, but I have been smelling antifreeze since last fall. Nothing shows under the bike and the guage still reads as it always has, just below mid point. With what you said, could my bike be running hot and I don't know it? The coolant level was fine (when I checked it) I should probably check it again though.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Wouldn't think you have a bike overheating most times it will only overheat if the Radiator is full when you are in parade mode or slow moving heavy traffic.

It does not take but a small small drop of anti-freeze to the smell to go a long ways. Would think you have a hose clamp loose under the top shelter. Not enough leaking to drip to the floor. When you change air filter check your hose clamps . Until then ride and enjoy fi it is under warranty take it back to the dealer

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't think you have a bike overheating most times it will only overheat if the Radiator is full when you are in parade mode or slow moving heavy traffic.

It does not take but a small small drop of anti-freeze to the smell to go a long ways. Would think you have a hose clamp loose under the top shelter. Not enough leaking to drip to the floor. When you change air filter check your hose clamps . Until then ride and enjoy fi it is under warranty take it back to the dealer
Good idea thanks!! I think I will do just that. I'll take it to the dealer for the antifreeze smell when my air filter is due to be changed....always a smart feller in the crowd. :thumbup:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
After my Orange wing got the fix, the temp gauge never moved again, just like someone had superglued the needle.

The Gauge wasnt accurate after the fix, not even close.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Good idea thanks!! I think I will do just that. I'll take it to the dealer for the antifreeze smell when my air filter is due to be changed....always a smart feller in the crowd. :thumbup:
.. +1 to what snoppy said..
... glad he's got my 6 when I'm out riding.
:)

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
After my Orange wing got the fix, the temp gauge never moved again, just like someone had superglued the needle.
The Gauge wasnt accurate after the fix, not even close.
... man, I hope Larry reads this.

Dennis

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
My 06 has never moved higher than a needles width under the middle mark, even though the fans have cycled on a few times. What a joke!

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
... man, I hope Larry reads this.

Dennis
I sure did Dennis, and this is what results when you make reckless, irresponsible remarks like that. Now you have a board member needlessly worrying that his bike is overheating and thinking that the gauge just isn't giving him accurate information.

Are you pleased with yourself now that you have started your very own "old wive's tale"?

CAC, if your bike was getting hot enough to spew coolant, that needle would be pegged, and if the bike had an idiot light instead, it would be on.

The GL1800 has always been known for coolant leaks at the hose clamps on top of the engine under the gas tank. Honda doesn't tighten them enough and some bikes drip a little coolant. All it takes is a few drops of coolant on that hot engine, and it will reek for hours. You aren't going to experience a failure. It is more of a nuisance problem that needs to be fixed when you get a chance.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
More entertainment. :lol:

I dunno, my bike is and 08. I have seen it move a little bit a couple times, in extreme slow stop and go traffic.

Never has overheated. You can tell if a bike is overheating if you are in tune with your bike, you can feel the extra heat if it was overheating. Mine never has.

I simply think it has a better cooling system , and the radiators are larger than the older bikes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
QUOTE=wingwing;3357081]probably not...(06 and up)

The GL1800 Temp gauge is not really a gauge
.. don't count on it to move if the bike is merely running
hotter than "normal"..
.. it will not move until the bike is about to boil over
then it will go up suddenly.

It works more like an idiot light disguised as a gauge.

Dennis

I was chasing the coolant smell ghost a couple of years ago. What I found was my coolant dipstick cap was not on correctly. The loose gap would allow coolant fumes to escape and I would usually smell it when I came to a stop. As soon as I placed the cap on correctly and securely, the smell went away.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
WingWing, I didn't want to high jack the original post, as this has nothing to do with belly pans and overheating, but I have been smelling antifreeze since last fall. Nothing shows under the bike and the guage still reads as it always has, just below mid point. With what you said, could my bike be running hot and I don't know it? The coolant level was fine (when I checked it) I should probably check it again though....
I was chasing the coolant smell ghost a couple of years ago. What I found was my coolant dipstick cap was not on correctly. The loose gap would allow coolant fumes to escape and I would usually smell it when I came to a stop. As soon as I placed the cap on correctly and securely, the smell went away.
I doubt your bike is running hot...
you can "feel" the heat coming off it when it gets warm.

Most people that smell antifreeze but don't see any have a very
small
leak hose leak in the area under the tank.
(it only takes a drop or two and you can smell it when it vaporizes
on the top of a hot engine)

It's not too much additional work to get to and check
if you change your own air filter..
.. or if you don't do your own work,
you should mention it to the dealer if he does your work for you
and he can check it when he does the air filter.

Most GL1800's do not ever run really hot..
.. certainly not hot enough to blow steam/antifreeze
if all the hose clamps are tight.

Dennis

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
the temp gauge on my wing works fine, probably not real accurate but plenty good enough to let me know whats going on, its been up in the red a few times but it has never spewed coolant :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
cycledude... you knew there was a service bulletin out for your year of bike. Think it was 02-03-04.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I doubt your bike is running hot...
you can "feel" the heat coming off it when it gets warm.

Most people that smell antifreeze but don't see any have a very
small leak hose leak in the area under the tank.
(it only takes a drop or two and you can smell it when it vaporizes
on the top of a hot engine)
It's not too much additional work to get to and check
if you change your own air filter..
.. or if you don't do your own work,
you should mention it to the dealer if he does your work for you
and he can check it when he does the air filter.

Most GL1800's do not ever run really hot..
.. certainly not hot enough to blow steam/antifreeze
if all the hose clamps are tight.

Dennis
Dennis, I never said it was running hot, I just had a phantom coolant smell every time I stopped.:thumbup:

·
Registered
876 Posts
To be fair - you did ask "could my bike be running hot and I don't know it?"
Re-read my original post and notice all the quote marks. I am not sure why it quoted part of the OP in my post, but I have never had a leak or temperature issue, just the smell and I fixed that. Sorry for the confusion.:shrug:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be fair - you did ask "could my bike be running hot and I don't know it?"
that was me....:oops:, my bike is not overheating, I was concerned that it may be running hotter than normal... but that was answered very quickly. I have a heck of a time following some of the threads on here, but thanks to all for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts