GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a lot of the negativity towards GWRRA lately, I thought I would justify my positiveness towards them. I know there are a variety of chapters out there, but I happen to belong to a great one. I also wrote the article about my home chapter...Chapter Pride and Participation-MI-J. We have a wonderful bunch of members, do a heckuva lot of riding, and have a heckuva lot of fun, and when we get rockin', look out! Probably one of the best decisions my wife and I ever made was to join the GWRRA and Chapter J. Just wanted to throw this out there...read my article and you'll see why we're happy.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have to agree with you! When looking at getting a Wing from a local dealer a member and I asked a question on this board about the dealer a member from the local chapter contacted me. He described everything the chapter membership and everything they do. Well we've attended two dinner rides, a breakfast ride and the monthly chapter meeting and everyone has been awesome!

In addition to the shorter rides for dinner and breakfast they also plan weekend trips, camping trips and other events. They also recently participated in raising money for a charity with the goal to raise more next year. More rides and events are planned in the coming year and my wife and are looking forward to participating. :D

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
Happy with mine too

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Me too. Chapter N.J.-H. You usually get out of an organization what you put in. We ride quite a bit together and enjoy each other,

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've learned so much through G.W.R.R.A about friendships and of course riding as safe as possible. I've been Chapter Director of KY-Y for two years and have reached level 4 (master tour rider). I really enjoy the people I've met through the organization and highly recomend trying it. I will say some chapters are differant but if it's not what you expected, try another one, I gurantee you'll find the group you really can get close to.

Randie Baldree
C.D. KY-Y
GWRRA # 154981
Master Rider # 6190
Patriot Guard # 58568

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
That cover pic on the new issue is sure to recruit some young new members...
I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the new issue :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Roadie said:
Arn Butt Bill said:
That cover pic on the new issue is sure to recruit some young new members...
I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the new issue :)
I was thinking "I wonder if there will ever be any youngblood injected into this mag that may revive it to appeal to a more progressive audience"........maybe?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Paul Woodford said:
But when it comes to Wing World (and, after all, that was your subject line), it's gone and turned into Trike World.
WingWorld is owned and operated by INB, which is a separate entity from GWRRA. When the founders divorced, the GWRRA was split into the association, which handles membership, and INB (Shirley's part) that is the money making side of the organization.

WingWorld magazine is what it is. I've also noticed a big shift towards trikes in the recent past (since Nick Hoppner had his bike triked), not that there's anything wrong with that. Despite being a money-making operation, WingWorld doesn't pay for articles, taking whatever it can get from the membership. I've been published in WingWorld before and can tell you that it is fairly easy to do. I am in the process of writing a series of articles (customer reviews) of some of the mod's I've made and accessories I've bought.

All of this is just to say that any member can do the same. Write up something and send it in. Just as new jersey lefty said, "You usually get out of an organization what you put in," you'll get out of WingWorld what you put in. You can make WingWorld into your magazine again. For example, many of the ride reports I've seen posted on this board, with just a little editing, would look great in the mag.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The same people can meet and have fun, without sending money to Phoenix that no one ever sees again!

David M.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
tjshelton said:
WingWorld is owned and operated by INB,
Wrong.
which is a separate entity from GWRRA. When the founders divorced, the GWRRA was split into the association, which handles membership, and INB (Shirley's part) that is the money making side of the organization.
Wrong.

WingWorld magazine is what it is. I've also noticed a big shift towards trikes in the recent past (since Nick Hoppner had his bike triked),
Wrong.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Stu_O said:
tjshelton said:
WingWorld is owned and operated by INB,
Wrong.
which is a separate entity from GWRRA. When the founders divorced, the GWRRA was split into the association, which handles membership, and INB (Shirley's part) that is the money making side of the organization.
Wrong.

[quote:1jqa9w98]WingWorld magazine is what it is. I've also noticed a big shift towards trikes in the recent past (since Nick Hoppner had his bike triked),
Wrong.[/quote:1jqa9w98]

Stu...

I was under the impression that what I said was the truth. Rather than just saying "Wrong" can you give the correct information? Thanks

My first statement came from the publication page of WingWorld, where it says: "Wing World (TM) ISSN #0745-273X is published monthly by INB Publications at ..."

The second statement has been told to me by several people, and could be considered hearsay, so I'll wait for someone else to confirm or deny it.

The last statement is my opinion. We all know what opinions are like... But I'll stand by this one. By the way, I really enjoy your input to the mag as it is one of the first things I read end to end every month.

I hope that once all is said and done, my original point comes across...

All of this is just to say that any member can do the same. Write up something and send it in. Just as new jersey lefty said, "You usually get out of an organization what you put in," you'll get out of WingWorld what you put in. You can make WingWorld into your magazine again. For example, many of the ride reports I've seen posted on this board, with just a little editing, would look great in the mag.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
David M. said:
The same people can meet and have fun, without sending money to Phoenix that no one ever sees again!

David M.
I have to both agree and disagree with you. Although "[T]he same people can meet and have fun" is certainly true, "sending money to Phoenix that no one ever sees again" isn't.

GWRRA is an organization unlike many others. It has a very small staff, compared to the number of members. The individual chapters do not collect dues, so once you are a member of GWRRA, you are a member of every chapter. I can walk into a chapter meeting in Florida, California, Maryland, Missouri, or Arizona, and be completely accepted as a member of that chapter. Compared to other similar organizations, GWRRA offers more benefits, more chapters, and more activities per dollar than any other that I've ever heard about.

I believe that the GWRRA has something to offer every rider, whether it is the GoldBook, WingWorld magazine, social outings (dinner and DQ), the Tow Service (which you don't have to pay for unless you want it), the rider education courses, and the many activities (rallys, poker runs, and more). You are free to participate at any level that you want to, or not at all. If you don't want to send your money to Phoenix, then don't. But if you choose not to participate, please don't slam the folks who do or the organization that we choose to associate with. We certainly will return the favor and wish you well as you ride your own ride.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
[/quote] "You usually get out of an organization what you put in,"[/quote]

A Lot of people have put a lot of themselves into GWRRA and Got put out of the org for doing just that.

·
Registered
931 Posts
tjshelton said:
I've also noticed a big shift towards trikes in the recent past (since Nick Hoppner had his bike triked), not that there's anything wrong with that
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Mongo said:
tjshelton said:
I've also noticed a big shift towards trikes in the recent past (since Nick Hoppner had his bike triked), not that there's anything wrong with that
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To set the record straight. I love trikes. I think they are not only a great way for motorcyclists to keep riding when they can no longer handle a motorcycle, but that they are another valid option for people to choose for themselves (whether they are physically capable or not). I fully intend on triking my current ride in a few years and tossing the keys to my wife, while I pick up a new 2008/2009 Wing.

But they are neither cars nor bikes, nor are they an almagam of the two. They are something special in their own right. They require a special set of skills to handle, and they are some of the most beautiful machines on the road. The trike rider's I've met are some of the best representatives of this community.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It's to bad that there is not much to pick from when it comes to buying magazines for the Goldwing. It's sort of the same way with T- shirts for the wing not much to pick from. I know go buy a Harley if I don't like it. Na, been there done that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts