GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing stock shield on my '05 to replace. Can't get the Phillips screws on the side loose. Tried liquid wrench. Let it sit for 20 minutes and still can't get loose. Twisting hard enough to start to strip the screw head.

Any ideas? Screw.jpg

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Try PB'laster or Kroil. That's all the guys use that work on the old Farmall tractors that have to deal with galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals. Those things "break" loose, IMHO.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try PB'laster or Kroil. That's all the guys use that work on the old Farmall tractors that have to deal with galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals. Those things "break" loose, IMHO.
Is Kroil better than Liquid Wrench?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
783 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I can't get them out any ideas? Is there a way to access the backside?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Faced with a similar stubborn screw I usually take a small pair of vice grips and clamp them around a flat spot on the JIS screw driver. I place as much pressure down against the screw as I can with one hand and use the vice grips as a handle to apply steady torque with the other hand. If the screw head starts to strip I abandon the screwdriver and get out the impact driver.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neighbor had JIS screwdrivers. They are in so tight it stripped out the screw head. Not going to try the other until I figure something out. Now I have to remove the messed up screw. I have a Grabit set. I'll try that then go get replacement screws.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Faced with a similar stubborn screw I usually take a small pair of vice grips and clamp them around a flat spot on the JIS screw driver. I place as much pressure down against the screw as I can with one hand and use the vice grips as a handle to apply steady torque with the other hand. If the screw head starts to strip I abandon the screwdriver and get out the impact driver.
As I recall my impact driver was about $100 and worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I thought I liked Phillips screws and screwdrivers the best, but I lied. I like JIS much better because it grips rather that cams out and strips the head when the screw is stuck. The only problem I have with JIS is that is NOT a standard here and using a Phillips on a JIS screw or a JIS driver on a Phillips screw is easier to strip out the head than Phillips on Phillips. Although, I have still stripped out a plethora of Phillips heads with Phillips screwdrivers. I have thought about grinding the tip on a Phillips to get it to fit JIS better, but the cut up the sides will still cause the driver to cam out and strip the head of the JIS screw.

For those windshield screws, I found that the large Phillips driver works better than the common #2, but there is still the head stripping risk. Some impact driver bits will fit a little better, but that location limits the hit you can put on an impact driver. Using a softer plastic head of a dual headed maillot may be enough to let the impact driver do something without shattering faring parts.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I thought I liked Phillips screws and screwdrivers the best, but I lied. I like JIS much better because it grips rather that cams out and strips the head when the screw is stuck. The only problem I have with JIS is that is NOT a standard here and using a Phillips on a JIS screw or a JIS driver on a Phillips screw is easier to strip out the head than Phillips on Phillips. Although, I have still stripped out a plethora of Phillips heads with Phillips screwdrivers. I have thought about grinding the tip on a Phillips to get it to fit JIS better, but the cut up the sides will still cause the driver to cam out and strip the head of the JIS screw.

For those windshield screws, I found that the large Phillips driver works better than the common #2, but there is still the head stripping risk. Some impact driver bits will fit a little better, but that location limits the hit you can put on an impact driver. Using a softer plastic head of a dual headed maillot may be enough to let the impact driver do something without shattering faring parts.
I ended up with a JIS the size of a Phillips #3 and still couldn't turn them. Stripped the head out so I will try my Grabit in the morning. Off hand anyone know what size screw? I'm headed to the parts fiche now. Found it. 90103-HC4-770. Wonder if local hardware store would have something this size. Couldn't find the size info.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have always had 100% success using an impact driver and a #3 Philips bit. Yes, they are JIS screws but an impact driver and a #3 bit is an equalizer.
Impact Driver and Bits.jpg
This one is a Craftsman and it sells for $19.00.

By thew way, replacement screws are not available from ACE or Home Depot. They are special JIS shoulder bolt screws. Make sure you order the correct one. There are a couple of different length shoulders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I changed my windshield last week. The Phillips (jis) screws were difficult to remove. I ended up using a #3 Phillips screwdriver with vice grips on the handle. I was able to put enough pressure on the screwdriver to keep it from camming out and turned it with the vice grips. I didn’t tighten them up that tight when I replaced them. 🙂

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You can also try using something like this to get a better grip on the screw, I heard it works well.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Is Kroil better than Liquid Wrench?
In my opinion, yes. PB'laster and Kroil are the go-to penetrants over Liquid Wrench or WD-40 in some circles, although this guy would say Liquid Wrench is the winner, and I do enjoy his video tests.

Now that it's stripped out, try a piece of rubber band in the screw head before doing anything more complicated, it helps get stripped Phillips screws out, believe it or not.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Removing stock shield on my '05 to replace. Can't get the Phillips screws on the side loose. Tried liquid wrench. Let it sit for 20 minutes and still can't get loose. Twisting hard enough to start to strip the screw head.

Any ideas? View attachment 367342
I've never rounded a head using a large #4 Phillips. Use a snapping movement. Do not use JIS and not a manual impact. You'll be pounding on plastic. Sometimes those screws will get over tighten, and in order to loosen them, so much effort is required that it will crack the visor.

Is only one side sized or both ???

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts