GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to continue riding to/from work and other rides as late as I can. I don't want heated gear, but would like to find gloves that protect me from the wind and cold and some overpants to wear over my clothes that I wear to work. Work clothes are business casual, like dockers and such. I think I'm good for coat and boots. Looked at the Aerostich Merino Wool Insulated Elkskin Gauntlets for gloves and considered getting them until I read several reviews that said they were only good down to mid 40's. I'd like to keep riding into the mid to upper 30's. Years past I rode year-round with heated gear, but I'm over that. :grin2: I do have heated grips and heated seat, never had that before.

Looking for other rider's recommendations on their personal experiences.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’d think with heated grips, you wouldn’t need anything outside of a standard insulated gauntlet glove in those temperatures. I have no suggestions for thick winter gloves, beciase I don’t like riding in anything that doesn’t allow me a good feel of the grips. That’s just me personally, and our winter doesn’t get too cold. I wear standard gauntlet gloves with glove liners from cycle gear underneath.

I have two options as far as over pants go, both work great. I have Wells insulated overalls, which are dickies knockoffs from Walmart. I also have insulated pants from cycle gear. They have a freeze out liner that I’ve never even used. They are very, very warm.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Were the reviews on Goldwings? With the Goldwing protection and heated grips, I've found that many gloves work in the 30s (and I'm used to hot here in Houston). I would think they would work. I use goretex gloves, but I would try these if I had them.

Reactions: OldFatGuy

·
Registered
476 Posts
winter gloves and overpants

Can't help with over pants, but I have found that my Artic Cat snowmobile gloves with my stock heated grips have worked well to keep my hands warm when doing the Toys For Tots run each year the first Sunday in December. Back in '07 it was 7 degrees above at 5 in the morning on my way to Dan Ryans Woods and hands were good all day. Price was fair but don't cheap out for after market, get OEM. For cold weather pants I have found long under wear and Flannel lined blue jeans work very well.
Billy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d think with heated grips, you wouldn’t need anything outside of a standard insulated gauntlet glove in those temperatures.
Were the reviews on Goldwings? With the Goldwing protection and heated grips, I've found that many gloves work in the 30s
Good point on the reviews not being on Wings - I am sure they weren't.

Can't help with over pants, but I have found that my Artic Cat snowmobile gloves with my stock heated grips have worked well to keep my hands warm
Billy
I'll check these out.

I have two options as far as over pants go, both work great. I have Wells insulated overalls, which are dickies knockoffs from Walmart. I also have insulated pants from cycle gear. They have a freeze out liner that I’ve never even used. They are very, very warm.
I never thought of overalls, I'll check those out too along with the insulated pants from cycle gear.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far - anyone else feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I like my Aerostitch Darien light pants. My wife has the Aerostitch ADV light pants. We both have Darien light jackets. No insulation in any of these.... all are just abrasion resistant, windproof, water proof goretex shells with pads. We wear the jackets over carhart puff jackets. We’re good down to 40 or so. Only commuting to work would be no big deal. All day ride probably not so good.

The problem is the cost.... the aerostitch stuff is kind of ridiculously priced...... but it’s great to have when needed. We only wear it when needed and leave it packed in the bikes without the pads.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a pair of Tourmaster overpants, their great in cold weather, there is nothing that get thru them, wind or rain they were well worth the money. Check them out

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long is your ride to work ? Temperature in the upper 30’s ain’t very cold so just about any decent glove should work fine for the first 30 miles.
It's only 30 minutes if I go straight to work, but if I take the fun way it's about 90 minutes. I take the fun way probably 75% of the time.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a pair of Tourmaster overpants, their great in cold weather, there is nothing that get thru them, wind or rain they were well worth the money. Check them out
Thanks for the suggestion, I will! I appreciate everyone's input. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I like welder's gauntlet gloves, though they are a bit bulky. They are good down to about 35, if not riding too far, maybe 50 miles.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm wanting to continue riding to/from work and other rides as late as I can. I don't want heated gear, but would like to find gloves that protect me from the wind and cold and some overpants to wear over my clothes that I wear to work. Work clothes are business casual, like dockers and such. I think I'm good for coat and boots. Looked at the Aerostich Merino Wool Insulated Elkskin Gauntlets for gloves and considered getting them until I read several reviews that said they were only good down to mid 40's. I'd like to keep riding into the mid to upper 30's. Years past I rode year-round with heated gear, but I'm over that. :grin2: I do have heated grips and heated seat, never had that before.

Looking for other rider's recommendations on their personal experiences.

Have you checked at the Carhartt website? They have some insulated gear there that may be of some use to you. I wear their insulated jeans during the winter. They have insulated overalls that might fit the bill for you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just wear gloves that are wind proof. It's the wind hitting the tops of your hands in the cold that hurts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good different ideas.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After looking into it some more, I think I have decided on the Aerostich Merino Wool Insulated Elkskin Gauntlets ( https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-merino-wool-insulated-elkskin-gauntlets.html ) for gloves after all. I liked them before and then after the comments here about the wing having more wind protection and also reading that these gloves do have an internal wind barrier, I'm going to give them a shot.

For the pants, I think I'm going to go with the Tourmaster Overpants ( https://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/overpant/119/402 ). They are made for riding and just have rider specific features.

Thanks again for all the different suggestions and ideas!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
My coldest weather riding gloves are Olympia gortex Gauntlets. Both insulated and water proof. I just bought the Tourmaster caliber 2.0 insulated pants from Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Snowmobile gloves are great - they have thick insulation on the back of the fingers to block the wind, and thin insulation on the palms to allow the heated grips to work to greater effect.

Cabelas actually makes one of the best gloves I've ever used - they're tan on the palms - goatskin I think, and thin thinsulate on the palms with thicker thinsulate on the back.

My FirstGear suit has been perfect from 25-degree whiteout conditions at 11,500 feet to 96+ degrees in the Mojave. Same suit, with and without the thermal liner and vents open (or not).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts