GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of Icon riding gloves and they are degrading and sticky so I need to replace them. Where I live we don't get alot of cold weather but I will be doing some rides into Colorado. For those of you that live up north. What kind of cold weather gloves do you wear?

Thanks
Jore

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You want cheap price wise? Get a pair of snowmobile gloves. You can get them in leather and waterproof for not much money. That is what I use when the temps really drop.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I just bought a pair of all leather Olympia "Windtex" cold weather gloves at my Honda dealer for $52.95. They're warm, have a long gauntlet, and seem to have good control feel. They're listed as water resistant rather than waterproof, but I think the only gloves that are listed as waterproof are those with Gore-Tex, which is a lot more spendy. But with a Wing, water resistant is about all you need anyway.

I also have a pair of Gerbing electrically heated gloves, but I don't wear them too much. Besides being awfully bulky ( they're the original style, the new ones are lighter and less bulky) they are just too warm unless it's really cold out!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
GLOVES

For REALLY cold temps., 25 dgs. or below, I prefer gauntlet type mittens,rather than gloves.
Fingers stay comfortable longer with them than with gloves. I also use the disposable hand warmers. Work real well. 'Course nothin beats electrics.
Ride Red,
the hobo

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I've posted this on all four or five other 'winter glove' threads this season so I may as well do it here, too. Tractor Supply Company has a house brand (CE Schmidt Workwear) glove which comes in black or brown that is an excellent glove and an even better bargain. They are waterproof, denier nylon with composit palms & fingers for grip. They are Thinsulate lined with elastic at the wrist and a velcro wrist cinch as well. As good as all of that is, they cost all of twelve bucks.

For about three dollars more plus shipping, they can order you a pair of virtually the same glove from Berne Apparel (the company who actually makes the CE Schmidt gloves) which also have a long, insulated gauntlet style cuff with a cord cinch with a barrel lock. That model number is GLV32, I believe. So, for under $30 you can have a pair of each.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If there's a "Army-Navy" store near you, get the army issue leather gauntlets and the green wool inserts for cheap. They are good for long rides down to about 45. Around town to about 35. I'm going to break down and buy Gerbings this year. ($169.00 for the new thin style).

The good thing about the army gloves is they are perfect for riding. No pressure points or bulkiness. And you can take out the liners for summer.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
hobo said:
They sound good,Gary,
but how do they perfom when it's REALLY cold?(lo 20's-teens)
I left in 14 degree weather last winter to go to a PGR mission for which I was ride captain about an hour and a half from here. I was wearing the gauntlet version riding my VTX1800 with no fairing, no windshield, no heated grips or anything. I was comfortable enough that I opted to take the more scenic, two hour plus route. One fingertip and the tip of the thumb on the same hand got cold but that was it. That hand has a problem from a sprts injury years ago so I think that was a factor.

That day I stood outside in the cold for hours then took the interstate home at 85mph. Again, the only problem spots were those two tips. On a GL1800 with Baker wings, I'd guess they'd be even better. :D

Nothing beats Gerbings heated gloves but in terms of bang for the buck, I can't think of anything else that comes close to these. I wear the others working on the farm and out plowing snow on the cabless John Deere or the open IH bulldozer in temps of zero and below. Do what you want, of course, but I don't think you'll be unhappy with these.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Winter Gloves

I know you guys don't want to pay the astounding 13.00 for a pair of the Berne Gloves that Gary in Indiana is speaking of because if it doesn't cost 60.00 or more it can't possibly be worth a hoot!! Well, I listened and all I can say is that dollar for dollar, it is the best glove I have ever worn--are they waterproof?? 100%?? Are they really really warm?? You bet they are all of these things...only complaint is that the shipping was more than the gloves in my case, but 25.00 for an excellent pair of gloves is a good deal....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Winter Gloves

Forgot to say but if anyone would like to see what these 11.13 gloves look like, go to kluguniforms.com, then click "Shop Online", then "Work/Industrial", then "Gloves, Mittens, hoods & caps"-go to page 2 and they are the last entry at bottom of page-click on the gloves and you will see a really good pic--the glove is #GLV32 Gary knows what he is talking about guys--No, neither of us work for that company-Heck, no one will hire me cause I'm too darn old!!!!!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The shipping Beau had to pay is WAY more than TSC charged me to get some in their local store for me. I don't remember what it cost but it was well under ten bucks and that also included in a pair of insulated bib overalls I ordered at the same time. My TSC manager even ordered the GLV32 gauntlet gloves in for me in a 2XL and a 3XL as I wasn't sure which I'd need. Normally I wear a 3XL but these are cut so generously that the 2XL is plenty big for me.

If you have a Tractor Supply Store near you, that's the way to go. If not, the online ordering deal is still a deal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Winter Gloves

Gary is right about the shipping being too expensive when and where I purchased my gloves but there are no TSC's close to where I live and another member tried to order from the TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY website and could not find the gloves-anyway, they are worth the money anyway you look at it!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts