GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the warmest winter gloves for riding? I have some gauntlet style snowmobile gloves but they are not very flexible. Not really interested in electric gloves and such.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Winter Gloves

I too would like ta find th absolute best, & warmest pair of winter gloves without goin electric. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My wife just got me the Tour Master Polar-Tex gloves, lined with thinsulate. I think they'll do the trick, except it hasn't really cooled down enough to give them a proper test yet. Can't wear them when it's in the 50's because they make my hands sweat!

John in Vegas

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
gloves

I have an old pair of BATES gauntlet winter gloves that are at least 25 years old, and are in perfect condition. They work pretty good. JD :)

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
when it gets below 30 or so I often wear Harley Davidson wind and waterproof cortech gloves, with the heated handgrips turned on no cold hands. But....the gloves are not as comfy,flexible as I would like so if someone finds the ultimate winter gloves I would sure like to hear about them too. :yw1:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Tour Master Polar-Tex

I also have the Tour Master Polar-Tex winter gloves. They are nice gloves, well constructed, purported to be 100% waterproof (haven’t tested yet), nice zippered gauntlets, etc… However, with temperatures in the mid 30’s, even with Hand Wings, my hands still get cold after a couple of hours.

I’m not sure if any non-electric glove will fit the bill and still remain flexible enough to manage the bikes controls. I have ordered (on backorder) a pair of Aerostich Triple-Digit gloves for and additional waterproof and windproof layer. Curious to see if the Triple Digits offer additional warmth, this is not what they’re designed for.

By this time next year – “Good Lord willing and the creek don’t rise” I will have my Gerbing electric clothes, including gloves. Plan on trying the disposable Heatmax products that ddking mentioned in a post last week.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Winter Gloves

Craig, I've used th Triple Digit Covers for ah few seasons. In addition to bein 100% waterproof they do offer some more insulation for yer hands on mid ta lower 30* long rides. It still aint enough ta be comfortable, it helps but i'm gittin more convinced th Gerbings are gonna be th cure i'm lookin for. I have th Tulsa under th mirror wings & th Honda heated grips, guess i'll hafta put up with th wires. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I don't do much winter riding anymore but 25 years ago when I did, I had a pair of leather insulated mittens think about it with mittens you can move your fingers around and they are the only way you will keep your fingers warm in my humble opinion. I don't know what is available now but if I was looking I would be looking for mittens.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
So far this year, I haven't ridden in temps below 16 degrees F ... but these gloves are working fine. Don't remember where I got them, but they're italian leather gloves with a cloth lining. Thin enough so I have no trouble at all with the controls, but thick enough for riding in the temps I've encountered so far. IIRC, I got them from Sportsman Guide, one of those discounters on the 'net.
I also have a pair of motorcycle style gauntlet gloves that're lined and and have seen about 12 winters so far.
In other words, I just look for a warm pair of gloves with high tops and still supple enough that I can still "feel" the bike.
And I have 23 years of late, late fall and early, early spring ... with enough winter ... riding under my belt.
Electric clothing? Wussies!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
i'm with Jerry J, i use gauntlet style mittens lined with a cotton? type fleece & they work for me into the lo 30's uppper 20's. They're wind proof & haven't soaked thru yet, so i guess they're water resistant. i like 'em because i'm able to move my fingers around inside them. i also use the hand warmers discussed earlier.
i bought these mittens in 1968 for my 1st trip to Daytona for bike week, so i guess i've gotten my $$'s worth out of 'em :lol: .
i don't ride very often anymore in cold weather, under 40 dgs., but have left for rides with temps in the 30's & the mittens work well. i've also put on thin surgical gloves, then the mittens. this seems to help a bit also.
Dave, the hobo, Cassidy

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Best thing you can do is get a pair of Insulated gauntlet Mittens. I've had Olympias and they worked well, Snowmobile shop might be a good place too, You need to keep your fingers together to keep them warm for as long as possible. Individual fingers allow for too much heat loss.

I've got Olympia gloves now as my ride is only 45 minutes and they work just fine for that duration.
:s27:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gerbings heated gloves are one of my most valued accessory's. When combined with the gerbing jacket, comfortable rides in cold weather are great.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i can tell you for sure that the new tourmaster polar tex gloves are not the answer.

its been in the 30 s lately when i have ridden, and the polar tex gloves are good for about 30 minutes.

they fit nice, they cover the wrist area real nice, and i really like them. but asking them to keep me warm at 30 something degrees is just not happening.

i bet they will be nice in the 40 s when it warms up some.

i guess ill break down and get a pair of gerbings and be done wth it. i have no problem rideing in the 30 s except my fingers get cold.

loren

·
Registered
469 Posts
Electric gloves

WELL, for th second time in two years, after recievin my Gerbing electric gloves & socks, i've returned em. All those wires are so agravitin i jest caint stand it, i'll live without em! I went on ah 200 mile ride th other day startin out at 30* dipin down ta 25* & made it OK with th set up i have now. Heated grips, wool socks with insulated boots, Tulsa wind wings & Hot Feet. I still would like ta find ah better pair of gloves. I've been lookin on th computer at snowmobile gloves. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Tourmaster Polar-Tex - NOT

I will second what Loren said about the Tourmaster Polar-Tex gloves. They are great from around 38° F +. Below that, your going to have cold hands sooner rather than later. Even with Hand-Wings. I was quite disappointed with them – they’re bulky enough that one would assume them to be warm.

I have some Aerostich Triple Digits on order (backorder) and am curious to see if stopping the wind helps with the Polar-Tex. I don’t mind spending good money for equipment, however I do expect the equipment to perform. I actually purchased two pair of the gloves, for my SO and me.

Gerbing's will be keeping my hands warm next winter.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Craig

Th Triple Digit rain covers are th little extra help i need ta git through. This past weekend on ah ride at 25 & 30* when my hands were gittin really cold I pulled over for gas & put th Triple Digit covers over my winter gloves & it was enough ta take th edge off. They do help & are great in th rain as well. :mrgreen:

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Not sure why you wouldn't want electric. I have had all the Tourmaster this and that gloves and I'll take my Gerbings any day over them. Last year we rode from East TN to Daytona and the first 5 hours of the ride was in heavy rain and 36 degrees. The gloves soaked through but it was still warm and the gloves are light enough so that you still have good feel of your controls. I got the Gerbing jacket too and I would say that is some of the best riding money I have spent.

·
Registered
469 Posts
La Monster

I don't wont th electric stuff because I CAINT STAND ALL THEM DADBURN WIRES RUNNIN ALL OVER TH PLACE !! :weeping:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts