GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temps in Nj are suppose to be in the 50's next week, warm enough to get back out in the garage and replace my 08 rear shock with a 12 shock and prelaod assy. I watched Fred's video on servicing procedures for the shock - seems simple enough. Fred instructs to make sure the preload is set to zero before removing/servicing the shock. Here's my question:

I purchased a trike take off shock and preload assy from a 2012 wing with no miles. I have no way of knowing or verifying what the preload was when this assy was removed. So what is going to happen when I set my current assy to zero, remove it, and hook up wires to the new assy - will the preload automatically adjust to zero so I can do the servicing? Or is there some other procedure I must do 1st?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The temps in Nj are suppose to be in the 50's next week, warm enough to get back out in the garage and replace my 08 rear shock with a 12 shock and prelaod assy. I watched Fred's video on servicing procedures for the shock - seems simple enough. Fred instructs to make sure the preload is set to zero before removing/servicing the shock. Here's my question:

I purchased a trike take off shock and preload assy from a 2012 wing with no miles. I have no way of knowing or verifying what the preload was when this assy was removed. So what is going to happen when I set my current assy to zero, remove it, and hook up wires to the new assy - will the preload automatically adjust to zero so I can do the servicing? Or is there some other procedure I must do 1st?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Before install plug up the plugs and run it a couple times it may start at 0 mine didn't so i did Freds top off before install.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
When you hook up the '12 shock to your bike, it should show whatever position it was left in when it was removed from the donor bike. Just plug in the two electrical connectors from your bike and run the preload setting to Zero before installing the shock in the bike.

Do you plan to top off the hydraulic reservoir before installing the new shock? Even though it's from a '12, it wouldn't be a bad idea and it's simple enough to do.

Here is a good procedure for topping off the reservoir... http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm

I used Fred's DVDs and this procedure. It was fairly painless.

Sent you a PM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts