GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts
No experience, but it looks like a nice jacket. Also, the price is nice, too.

Good luck with your search.

Bob E.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
ditto no experience, looks like a nice jacket

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Check out the return policy....not so nice if it don't fit right.

Something to think about....

·
Registered
260 Posts
We bought the Tour Master brand "Transition" jackets and love them. They look to be similar to these jackets you are looking at.

The Transition jackets are plenty warm without the liner. My CO does not like being cold and she does just fine in 35 degree weather with her liner in.

BTW...
Be sure and get your jackets in RED/Blk.

BOOMER SOONER

W

·
0 Posts
I bought a Fieldsheer http://www.fieldsheer.com/web2006/ Siberia Jacket and pants in red back in '03 when when I bought my '03 GL1800.

Well it's great in cold weather, but I feel it's "Over Kill" for the amount of winter riding I do.
There's a insulated slip-out liner for jacket and pants and plenty warm without the liner, and tons of reinforce protection for the arms, back, and thighs.
I feel I "over bought" this outfit for the amount of times I use it, and if I remember right it wasn't cheap.
Oh well, it's something that's nice when the weather does turn cold this time of year.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought what appears to be the same jacket from Fieldshear last winter. Don't recall the name they gave it at that time.

It's a great jacket. The only complaint I had was for the fleece liner. Damn near impossible to get on without pulling your shirt sleeves up around your neck. I had a silk liner made and sewn over the fleece liner and now the jacket is great. The model you're looking at has a poly liner which should be just fine.

I commute in comfort down into the 30's. Most of the winter season in Oklahoma permits me to use this jacket without the liner. Haven't been caught in the rain yet. I can handle cold and I can handle wet.... but I try like hell to avoid both at the same time.

Bottom line.... good jacket at a good value.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
wingman57 said:
Check out the return policy....not so nice if it don't fit right.
Motorcycle Closeouts is an excellent company, Rusty will take good care of you if you don't like it. Don't know about that particular jacket but Motorcycle Closeouts is a good supplier. I've bought from him a number of times.

J

·
0 Posts
If it comes highly recommended it is probably worth a shot. The price is right and the features are too and FieldSheer usually shows up well in reviews. We are 25 miles from you and have been able to ride every month for the last couple of years. We would not take for our Firstgear HT Over pants and Kilimanjaro IV Jackets, but they are not good (inexpensive IMO) deals.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Though not that particular model, I've worn a Fieldsheer jacket for 2 years now and I love it. Mine is far less stiff than anything I've ever worn before and is incredibly comfortable. Fieldsheer is very high quality.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy Guy said:
We bought the Tour Master brand "Transition" jackets and love them. They look to be similar to these jackets you are looking at.

The Transition jackets are plenty warm without the liner. My CO does not like being cold and she does just fine in 35 degree weather with her liner in.

BTW...
Be sure and get your jackets in RED/Blk.
I'll look at the Transition jacket too but it will be a cooooold day in hell before I wear anything RED......

Go Cowboys!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
NRA Life Member said:
I came across this jacket that was highly recommended on another adventure riding forum. Anybody have any opinions or experience with this one? Thanks, NRA

http://motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.a ... =WP471-503
That is an excellent jacket for dual sport use. I don't know if you would be allowed to wear it riding the gold wing, but I guess it would be okay. You just have to ask the dual sport guys if they catch you wearing it. I guess it's kinda like the Hells Angels trying to protect their colors. That's just what I heard, so don't mind me. But it wouldn't hurt to check though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Easy there NRA Life Member, only pulling your chain.

My kids are about to graduate with the December class. My daughter sure was not raised to be a Cowboy but went where the scholarship money was offered.

Good luck on finding a jacket that works for you. If ever down in the Arbuckle Mts. area, look us up.

·
Registered
887 Posts
just something to think about but I personally don't like the longer jackets like this one when riding. For me, I find that when I wear a longer jacket too far down past the waist that it allows the wind to blow right up the jacket because it bends with your legs at the lower part of the jacket. It just tunnels the air into the jacket and up your whole body. I won't wear anything for a jacket that goes below the waist....then pants or chaps to keep the lower half warm.

Some people like them but it's just something to consider.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jacket

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product ... d=35&cat=3

I suspect the above jacket is the last jacket I'll every buy.

Best feature:
• Converts easily from a 600 Denier Carbolex® shell to an Armor-Link Mesh shell and vice-versa. Partial connversion is usually enough so you are not zipopering things on and off, and very effectively cools you off, and can do while driving.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Happy Guy said:
Easy there NRA Life Member, only pulling your chain.

My kids are about to graduate with the December class. My daughter sure was not raised to be a Cowboy but went where the scholarship money was offered.

Good luck on finding a jacket that works for you. If ever down in the Arbuckle Mts. area, look us up.
I hear ya on the chain. What's your daughters degree in? Any job offers yet?

I have had several good inputs on Jacket & Pants. I really wish we had a good store local that had jackets & pants to try on so I could make sure and get the size right. Cycle Gear up on Northwest Highway has a pretty big selection but they don't carry Tourmaster. Not that I've decided on that brand but I haven't ruled it out either. Take Care NRA

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
NRA........if you like the Tourmasters, try motoemporium. I just ordered the Flex for $164.xx delivered. They have the best prices I have found

·
Registered
707 Posts
NRA Life Member said:
BTW... Be sure and get your jackets in RED/Blk. [/quote said:
I'll look at the Transition jacket too but it will be a cooooold day in hell before I wear anything RED......

I completely respect and understand the RED thing! I do have a bunch of BOOMER SOONER cloth patches to put on the jacket of your choosing. :chicken: I could bring them to you at Thanksgiving when were openin' up our annual can of whoop-a$$ on the Cowboys :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts