GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Florida ;)
Vehicle Speedometer Cloud Odometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
839 Posts
Went for a 182 mile ride yesterday. Sunny high of 52°F most ridden in the 40's and 45 minutes in the 30's. Had an excellent lunch in Shullsburg, Wisconsin at the Water Street pub. Then down through NW IL and back home to just south of Rockford IL. Had on my Aerostich RoadCrafter, heated jacket liner and a sweater. Jeans and Daytona Road Star boots and some cheaper water and windproof Bilt gloves.
Heated seat and grips so never pulled out the other heated gear. Heated gear is the best for extending your Northern riding season!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Went for a 182 mile ride yesterday. Sunny high of 52°F most ridden in the 40's and 45 minutes in the 30's. Had an excellent lunch in Shullsburg, Wisconsin at the Water Street pub. Then down through NW IL and back home to just south of Rockford IL. Had on my Aerostich RoadCrafter, heated jacket liner and a sweater. Jeans and Daytona Road Star boots and some cheaper water and windproof Bilt gloves.
Heated seat and grips so never pulled out the other heated gear. Heated gear is the best for extending your Northern riding season!

Yesterday was beautiful in NW IL for this time of year.
I did 177 miles to Starved Rock and back...I was enjoying the ride so much that I forgot to take photos!

Still waiting for my heated gear, but the stock heated grips and Mustang Seat heaters kept me going.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yesterday was beautiful in NW IL for this time of year.
I did 177 miles to Starved Rock and back...I was enjoying the ride so much that I forgot to take photos!

Still waiting for my heated gear, but the stock heated grips and Mustang Seat heaters kept me going.
Nice, you'll like your heated gear when it comes. Don't use it a whole bunch but when I do I like it! Especially on trips out west where elevation changes changes Temps quickly. There were several times when I thought... oh, I don't think I'll need it today and then wanted it... so spring and fall it always comes with. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I may drag a bike down to warm southern Temps this January or early April and see AZ then and not in June - Aug!

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
My poor trike is in the garage, up on jacks ,(tires off cement floor) covered over with a warm blanket, with a battery maintainer plugged on battery,..... just waiting till April 1st.. :cry::cry:

Ronnie
12/1/21

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awww, poor thing, sub 70's must be killing you🥲

We used to ride in Arizona winter, sub 90's and freezing 80's until late December🤭
Hey, for Floridians 68 is really rockin that chill, not to be bougie or anything 🥶

• Haha
Reactions: Steve 0080

·
IronMan
18,738 Posts
Hey, for Floridians 68 is really rockin that chill, not to be bougie or anything 🥶
YEA WAS 54 THE OTHER NITE HERE IN PALM BAY ALMOST HAD TO TURN THE FURNACE ON :) PUT MY SHIRT BACK ON !!

Reactions: judgedredd331

·
Registered
776 Posts
For you guys riding in Michigan and Wisconsin where they spread salt on roads
When you take them for ride the salt dust still gets up every thing right
That's why I don't ride mine here in Michigan even on dry days because of that maybe I am just to paranoid for no reason

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why I don't ride mine here in Michigan even on dry days because of that maybe I am just to paranoid for no reason
We just have salt pre-mixed into our air in Florida, easier that way :oops:

·
Registered
21,370 Posts
I usually wash the bike within a week or so after it gets salted so it really hasn’t had much effect on my Goldwing, if the roads are dry I don’t worry about the salt. Here is a picture of my Goldwing from about 2 years ago With no visible salt damage.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
716 Posts
I usually wash the bike within a week or so after it gets salted so it really hasn’t had much effect on my Goldwing, if the roads are dry I don’t worry about the salt. Here is a picture of my Goldwing from about 2 years ago With no visible salt damage.
View attachment 392657
😁 from 30 feet away, mine looked good in dealerships photo too. It even looked good in person up in Chicago in January.

Apparently, P.O didn't do such a good job after rides. I found rust, corrosion and black gunk all under side of the bike and seat.

I couldn't touch the bike without gloves AFTER I washed it because of all the gunk.

I miss my 2005 yellow wing. It was Arizona bike, no salt, no gunk and no rust...

Can't afford to move to Florida so, I'm dealing with NC weather.

Can't afford to go back home to Oahu for nice sunny day rides around in circles either. I'll settle for rides to Florida, once this Covid-19 stuff go away....

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
MN is the salt and chemical use King I think. MNDot tries to melt more snow that plow it. The liquid spray on stuff is even worse, it sticks to metal quite well. Vehicle corrosion is at an all time high.
We had maybe an inch of snow last night. Highs in low 40's up north here and the salt and brine is spread everywhere, including into all the lakes and rivers/streams with the run off melting.
My Wing goes in the shed before the roads get salt/chemicals and don't get released until there have been a few rains (usually May).
I've got plenty of alternatives to ride/drive.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
36* this morning, in Massachusetts..................... Leaving in 15 minutes to help install another heating brand new heating system............HVAC

Ronnie
12/2/21

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I also went for a little scamper yesterday. Left Payson (central AZ mountains) with the temp in the low 60's. By the time I hit Phoenix it was in the mid 70's, and continued to climb into the mid 80's.

All that blue Arizona sky with the sun's warmth gave me a tad bit of a sunburn.

By the time I returned to Payson 300 miles later approaching sunset, the temps were once again in the low 60's, threatening to cool even faster once the sun left our portion of the sky.

Absolutely horrid riding conditions I tell ya...

- David

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 39 Posts