GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a family condo in Clearwater Beach Floriday. The condo has 1 parking slot, and that slot is occupied with the vehicle that stays there year-round. I want to ride the Wing from MN to Cleartwater this November and store it at a self-storage facility (5'x10' w/garage door) for use when I visit monthly thru April. Anyone store a motorcycle in a similiar fashion? If so, any advice?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
My Son is at college in Knoxville, he keeps his street and dirt bike, plus riding gear, in a 10' x 10' self storage unit.

He just had to show that he had insurance on both bikes.

If your bikes is going to sit, I'd fill the tank with gas, possibly put Stabil in the tank and then I'd take the battery out and put it in the Condo on a battery tender.

If you use a self storage unit, depending on what the ceiling, of the unit, is made of, I'd probably put a cover on the bike to stop any condensation dripping or similar, cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
We have a family condo in Clearwater Beach Floriday. The condo has 1 parking slot, and that slot is occupied with the vehicle that stays there year-round. I want to ride the Wing from MN to Cleartwater this November and store it at a self-storage facility (5'x10' w/garage door) for use when I visit monthly thru April. Anyone store a motorcycle in a similiar fashion? If so, any advice?
Can't move the vehicle out to somewhere else when you're there, and park the bike in it's spot?

Move the car back when you leave?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you use a self storage unit, depending on what the ceiling, of the unit, is made of, I'd probably put a cover on the bike to stop any condensation dripping or similar, cheap insurance.
I planned on covering the bike. But never considered possible dripp'age from above... Thanks! Good advice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't move the vehicle out to somewhere else when you're there, and park the bike in it's spot?

Move the car back when you leave?
No

-Condo vehicle is not mine.

-Condo vehicle needs to be available to other family members when they visit throughout the Winter.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Keep in mind that although the width of the building might be 5 feet, the door opening is aproximately 3 1/2 feet wide. Tight fit for a Wing.

I'd rent a 10 x 10 if it were me.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When I moved to TX and while between houses living in an extended stay for 6 months I stored mine in a 10x10 ... when I wanted to ride I parked my car at the storage place while I was riding.

I'd put a cover over it ... also check with your insurance company to make sure you are covered if it is garaged there ... I didn't do that as I just thought about that but that would be a huge bummer if it were stolen or there was a fire and you were not covered. You probably are covered but better safe than sorry .... there are a lot of renters at those places and if someone less trustworthy see you park that bike it could be a big target.

Oh also, I was going to get a 5 x 10 but when I looked at it it was 5' DEEP / 10' WIDE - so you are real tight if not impossible parallel parking into that configuration ... if 5 Wide / 10 Deep ... probably ok ..... so if you have not actually looked at to see which it really is you should.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Keep in mind that although the width of the building might be 5 feet, the door opening is aproximately 3 1/2 feet wide. Tight fit for a Wing.
You're right, a wing is 4 feet wide.. that's a REALLY tight fit through a 3 1/2 foot door.. :lol:

The wing is also pretty close to 10 feet long, and getting into a 10' storage area, up on the center stand, and closing the door without ramming the trunk into the wall is a challenge. But you can get 2 wings in a 10 x 10 because you can angle them better. It's hard to angle a 4' wide wing in a 5' wide space, not to mention get on and off in the 6" you have on either side.. At least if you are a "mature" winger, as I am... :eek:

A 10 x 10 would definitely work better, I think.. JMHO...

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I parked my daughter's bike on one of these when she stored it in my garage.

Harbor Freight has them on sale for $79.99. I tried loading my Goldwing on it one day, just to see if it fit. It was tight, but it worked and you could roll the bike around on a smooth concrete floor. It is a lot cheaper than the $199 Park-n-Move.

Another year she stored her bike in a rental storage locker when I didn't have enough room in my garage. the storage facility insisted she drain all the fuel and disconnect the battery, claiming insurance reasons. As you had to take off the fuel tank to get at the battery on her Beemer, we drained the fuel and told them the battery was disconnected. We then screwed an electrical socket into the ceiling light socket and plugged in her trickle charger. You may want to check to be sure they don't have similar requirements and that power is available for a battery tender.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Storage

I have tried to store it in a 5x10 but the door opening is smaller than that as it was mentioned in another post. I go for the 10x10, a few more bucks but worth it...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You can store a vehicle with gas in it. Not around here. Not even if it doesn't have gas in it. :rolleyes:

Also make sure you have a good fire extinguisher in there. Just in case.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I ride my Wing to St Petersburg FL each Oct pulling my trailer. Rent a 10x10 to store the trailer 'til the following May and only put the Wing in the storage unit when we're flying back north for a few days. I cover them up while in there, not because of the ceiling but to keep sand/dirt off that blows in on occasion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mice

Don't forget to put some sort of Decon in the storage place to keep the mice out of your air cleaner or from ripping your seat's foam so they can make a nest with it. There are some good stuff out there that will kill the mice away from your Wing as they seek water and not die in the store unit. :twisted:
I also took the battery home and kept it charged all winter, but in NH, I rented a heated unit so the Trike would stay at a constant temperature rather than from -10 to 60 F during the winter months.
Good luck on your storage.

Rosy
From NH

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All good advice... Thanks for the input. Especially regarding upsizing to a 10 'x'10' and critter control...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts