GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just a reminder that now is a great time to do winter work.

I just completed air filter, clutch and brake fluid flush, coolant flush and checked final drive oil

Weekend's worth of work but I know my 2018 is ready for spring. BTW take a look at the air filter @ just under 15K! I was still getting 42 mpg!! (old air filter on left....should be yellow)
Tool Gas Saw Tints and shades Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
@reddwarfusa Fantastic job! (y) Dang that Cali-smog kicks butt aye?

Reactions: reddwarfusa

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

I just completed air filter, clutch and brake fluid flush, coolant flush and checked final drive oil

Weekend's worth of work but I know my 2018 is ready for spring. BTW take a look at the air filter @ just under 15K! I was still getting 42 mpg!! (old air filter on left....should be yellow) View attachment 394186 View attachment 394188
Just curious because I am about to do almost everything you've mentioned with help from Fred. You say the bike is ready for Spring. Do I take that to mean it's all put back together ??

If yes, any surprises ?? Do you normally do maintenance ?? Lose anything ? ( clips, etc. )

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Weekend's worth of work but I know my 2018 is ready for spring. BTW take a look at the air filter @ just under 15K! I was still getting 42 mpg!! (old air filter on left....should be yellow) View attachment 394186 View attachment 394188
.....................forgot to ask................what is that yellow/lime green thing covering the side-stand ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
502 Posts
Not really winter here, but since I bought the Wing not to long back I am doing all that stuff now, except the air filter it only has a couple thousand on it. Oil, Filter, Final Drive Oil, Coolant Change, and Front Brake Reservoir fluid flushed already. Rear Brake Reservoir and Clutch Fluid left to do but been busy. Prior owner put speed bleeders on brakes and clutch, soooo much easier to bleed with them on there I wish I had done that to my prior Wings. Feels good getting all that stuff done (y)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious because I am about to do almost everything you've mentioned with help from Fred. You say the bike is ready for Spring. Do I take that to mean it's all put back together ??

If yes, any surprises ?? Do you normally do maintenance ?? Lose anything ? ( clips, etc. )
Yes all put back together. No real surprises, just slow and methodical. (and my back hurts now too ;-)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really winter here, but since I bought the Wing not to long back I am doing all that stuff now, except the air filter it only has a couple thousand on it. Oil, Filter, Final Drive Oil, Coolant Change, and Front Brake Reservoir fluid flushed already. Rear Brake Reservoir and Clutch Fluid left to do but been busy. Prior owner put speed bleeders on brakes and clutch, soooo much easier to bleed with them on there I wish I had done that to my prior Wings. Feels good getting all that stuff done (y)
Yes I added speed bleeders during all of this too. Really does make it easier!!!! Hopefully next time will be a little quicker because of them ;-)

·
Registered
88 Posts
@reddwarfusa nothing to add on topic, but interesting to find a USA member liking the awesome Red Dwarf series!! 🤘

Reactions: reddwarfusa

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yes I added speed bleeders during all of this too. Really does make it easier!!!! Hopefully next time will be a little quicker because of them ;-)
Me too with the speed bleeders. I can hardly even imagine doing that service without them. Soooo much easier.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
BTW take a look at the air filter @ just under 15K! I was still getting 42 mpg!! (old air filter on left....should be yellow)
Something tells me the filter looks dirty at 5K.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mines all done less the air filter. Bike only has 11k miles on it right now. I have a Honda air filter for it. If I keep it I will change it when I do the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Everytime I see a picture like this where it looks like a bomb went off, it just reminds me that I don't want to tackle this. :)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I recently did the same services. I've never installed speed bleeders on my bikes. I have used this motion pro tool several times. Works great allowing old fluid to flush out and keeping air from going in.

Sent from my rotary phone using chisel and stone tablet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I recently did the same services. I've never installed speed bleeders on my bikes. I have used this motion pro tool several times. Works great allowing old fluid to flush out and keeping air from going in.

Sent from my rotary phone using chisel and stone tablet.
I've been using one of these little kits or make my own up for over 40 years for motorcycles or small fun cars. Works great, bone idle simple and cost effective.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
502 Posts
The wife really likes the Speed Bleeders too. She used to do the brake pumping and watch the fluid level while I did the bleeding. Now she doesn't have to help so she is happy too :cool:

Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yea… 2018 bought new in January 2020 almost 25000 miles on it. Doing 1st brake bleed and coolant flush this weekend. Already did air filter at 16000 miles but since I am 80% there I’m gonna do it again. Setting up a local dealer for 1st valve adjustment in the near future.

Performed the same service on my friends 2015 last weekend less the air filter. Did not have to remove any plastic but the lower cowl, front fender and the right glove box. They are definitely 2 totally different bikes.
Edit: After completing coolant replacement and brake fluid bleed/flush I felt it was much easier than on my 2008. No ADV to worry about, and a single bleeder on the rear instead of 2 like the 5th gen bikes. No clutch to bleed. Less burping of the radiators and less coolant to fill the system. I probably have a couple thousand miles left in my front tire before a full set of new shoes (sitting on the shelf) are installed for 2022 miles.
@Glockjock, @TexanTrail if we keep having 70 degree January days I might just have to plan a Prejeans trip for a bowl of Gumbo soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts