GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you folks do with your leather, to keep them nice looking, I've never had to store leather for any length of time, should I do anything special, like pack them in a suit case and take them to Cancun for the winter :lol:

or

just hang them in a closet till next year :wink:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hanging it in the closet works. I like to keep it handy for those winter days when the roads are snow-free and the sun is shining. It's good to take the bike out for some exercise. I just stay off the freeway in winter weather--the wind chill is pretty wicked at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
If ya want to go to extremes, there's saddle soap and some newer stuff that dresses the leather and helps keep them from drying, see a good leather shop for products... Otherwise, just shoot em with some silicone and keep away from heaters (dry) and basements (mold)!!

Storage??? You & TBB should be getting ready to ride dude! :D :D
I think we're going down south and maybe west for bike week... Where ever the winds take us...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ALLLMOST took the bike out last week when it got up to 50° but I resisted the urge, I didn't want to ride the bike thru salt infested puddles :shock:

I just hung the jackets up in TBB's closet ( hehehe ) I told her they would be safer there :D :D :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
I go over mine and touch up any faded spots with black shoe polish (paste) --- let it dry, buff with a soft shoe brush. Let sit for a day ---- then use saddlesoap over the entire garment ---- and hang in the closet. --However, here in the deep south ---they don't hang there long before I'm riding again.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya well, around here it could be months :cry: :cry: before we need our leather again...

I'm going to try to saddle soap the chaps and jackets over the weekend.....should I get board

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
i'd suggest hanging the pants "full length" on a hanger. had a pair once i stored over the hanger & a crease developed in the fold that never did come out. They were Bates,lined cowhide pants, pretty heavy leather.
out grew the pants, & they still had the crease in 'em when i sold 'em.
the hobo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts