GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People – men – ladies it’s that time of year again when US northerners start making plans for storing our machines

Here are my choices ..

Heated Garage

Outside storage non heated

If I store it in the heated garage, I take up garage space

If I store it in the outside storage, I have more garage space ‘as well I would be removing that battery’ “wife likes that option” lol

Therefore, what are the good points / bad points / pro's and cons’ if you will, of doing the outside storage and having more space in my garage .. any harm to the bike ? Or is it just that much better to store it inside the heated garage and be done with it ..

As Always Thanks for all your inputs

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I'd leave the escapade outside

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If you need the space in the garage ? Then keep it in outside storage, as long as it's out of the weather. At the end of the riding season, I change my oil and final gear oil, put stabil in the gas tank which is full, and then pull the battery and store it in the basement. My bike is stored in my Unheated garage, hence (outside storage). My battery gets a refresh charge every 30 days during the winter per the instructions on the battery.
Then in the spring I re-install the battery ? And I'm good to go. I've been doing it that way for the past 4yrs without any problems........... :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I store mine in an outdoor storage as i don't have a garage. Do an oil change, fill the gas tank full, run with Stabill long enough to make sure it goes through the entire system, plug battery into battery tender ( I don't remove from bike). Check it on sunny cold days during the winter just to say hi. Ride in the spring. Neve rhad a problem. Been in Maine, Iowa, Key West ( well that one don't count) with this bike. 1500 was in Maine and had the same treatment, except had a unheated garage. Never had a problem with any bike done this way. Would I prefer a heated garage, yep, but only so I could add goodies and piddle with it all winter.

G

·
0 Posts
Storage?? Whats that?? I ride year round. :)
There are plenty of mild (30 degrees) days to ride in the winter.
I prefer to ride when it cools off ( no bugs :) )

·
Registered
104 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
Storage?? Whats that?? I ride year round. :)
There are plenty of mild (30 degrees) days to ride in the winter.
I prefer to ride when it cools off ( no bugs :) )
Agree.....

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Winter Storage is when we exchange our Motorcycles for Ski's, Snowmobiles, ATV's, Tip-Ups, Winter Vacations where we go South and bug the hell out of you Reb's and displaced Yanks...>LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just add Stabil, moth balls, put in shed, cover and ride whenever possiblle. Usually have a few good days every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Remove the nagtive battery cable from the battery. Make sure the fuel tank is full, cover, and store.
I quit using stabilizer years ago after discovering a orangish deposit in one of my fuel tanks that I had used it in.
Modern gas is designed to last 12 months. As long as you disconnect the battery it will remain charged till riding season. My toys (boat, rv, vette, atv's etc) stay in storage for 6 months and in the last 8 years I never lost a battery or had any fuel related problems since I discontinued using Stabilizer. I personally do not buy the theory it is "Cheap Insurance". Its a waste of money if you plan on starting the machine within a year.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I use a battery tender like MRCHIPS. My question is: When using a
battery tender, do I need to unhook the battery cables?? If it gets up to
40 degrees or so, I ride. It's a pain to hook up cables and heated
clothes wires when it's time to ride. Whadya think??

·
Registered
552 Posts
Reid said:
People – men – ladies it’s that time of year again when US northerners start making plans for storing our machines
Reid... we have awesome winter storage facilities available here Arizona. In fact just down the road from me is where many of the armed forces and airlines store their jets when they are not being used.

I offer full maintenace, battery charging, and will even excercise your bike each day to keep it in shape. I will even come and pick your bike up, and will deliver back in the spring. PM me if you are interested. I only charge $20 a month. :wink:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Moth balls, good point keeps mice out of airfilter and from chewing wires...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I just store the bike in my garage ~~~~ un-heated.

Change the oil, rear-end gear oil, and put stabil in a full, fuel tank, run the bike for 15 minutes to get the stabil thru the entire system. I leave the battery in the bike and put the batteryTender+ on it. The battery remains connected to the bike at all times.

But this thread is about a month and a half early.......but thats just me :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Why store it? Ride it, I'm from the Chicago area and ride year long this is the first bike I've ever owned that provides so much protection from the cold. I used to ride my gixxer all winter long as well.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My bike sits in my garage pointed out... because I ride it 12 months a year
and most every week.. sometimes every day ... gosh I am glad I don't live in the C O L D northern country !

cosmic

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
i would never move farther north because i hear the weather up there is not good for year round riding, its just rite here in wisconsin

C

·
0 Posts
Snowwolfe said:
Modern gas is designed to last 12 months.
What GAS do you use thats designed for 12 months? I've had gas go bad after 3 months.

This was from a staion the has a VERY high turnover ( ie deliveries every day)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts