GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put the Wing to bed for the winter and was wondering what you folks do with the fuel tank.
I was going to fill the tank and add Stabil.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

George in RI

·
Registered
385 Posts
winter storage

As far as the gas tank that is all that is necessary. One of the great things about the 1800 is that it has a plastic gas tank. No more rusting out over time. Gas tanks for early wings are getting harder to find, as they were metal and prone to rust.
Some folks also either take out the battery or use a trickle charger such as a Battery Tender. Others remove the spark plugs and put a drop or two of oil in each hole, then replace the plugs. Some folks feel that placing the bike on the centerstand, taking the weight off of the tires is better for the tires.
It is also a good idea to give the bike a good wash, dry and wax. Then cover the bike. Dirt can hold moisture in against the finish.
The only thing I do, besides washing and covering is the full tank with stabil. I ride periodically throughout the winter, as we have the few odd days that are temperate. If you ride it at least 10 minutes every few weeks, you won't have a problem. The rides need to be that long, as you want to burn the condensation out of the exhaust system. Just starting and letting run for a couple of minutes can be detrimental.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
winterizing ur bike

I use stabil, keep my tank full to avoid condensation. Keep my battery tender plus plugged in, and i also take it for a ride when the temperatures rise to about 45 or better which happens every couple of weeks in the louisville area.
JD 8)

S

·
0 Posts
I just add stabil to the gas and park it - you don't want to start it and let it run unless you run it lots as this adds condensed water to the exhaust and oil. best is to just cover it up until spring. I normally don't even fool with the battery, never charge or use a tender. I get 3-5 years out of most batterys. I do however keep the bike in a heated garage. My car sits in cold storage and all I do with that one is pull the positive termianl on the battery so the clock doesn't discharge it. I am running 7 years on the battery now. It does help to sit on the bike and go varoom varoom once in a while just to let it know you care.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JD that is about what I had in mind for my bike too. Every now and then we may get a day around 50 and I will go for a ride, but ride needs to be long enough to get the engine warmed up good to get rid of condensation.
Full tank, Stabil,and trickle charger on the battery.
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.
George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts