GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Currently have brand new 2016 GL1800. Have had wings for years and have done normal storage things, clean, oil, preservatives, etc. Upon reading posts recently, I was wondering about this. Is it ok to leave the bike on the center stand and the front wheel on the concrete floor? Or can I perhaps place supports under the the frame portion elevating the front wheel free? Or place piece of wood under the front tire?

And moth balls under the bike after it has a full cover?

Thanx, Safe riding to all...

TJ

·
Registered
477 Posts
Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
OK... So I don't store mine either, over here where I live. But I have read posts from others who do and I personally stored vehicles 40 years ago when I lived in Up State NY.
So here's my beans...
Center stand and a jack under the engine to lift the front tire off the floor is fine.
I would spray a bit of WD40 on the exposed upper fork tubes, just to preserve them from moisture. Winter moisture can be an issue.

Rodent abatement... Moth Balls, Dryer Sheets and alike have been tried. However I have had great luck with sticky and other traps. The only thing I found with using traps is that you have to check them periodically.
I had a barn back there and found that the dead mice became food for the live ones and that only attracted more! Yuck! So I would not park it and forget it!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If stored inside, I would only use a cotton sheet for cover to avoid condensation. I had a problem with rodents until I put a Black Cat bait box with a poison stick in my trunk. No evidence (in the bike) in ten years since. I carry that bait box around all of the time, now. Just leave it in the trunk. Also, cover the air cleaner intakes with metal mesh/screen etc. to keep them out of that inviting area (I do it on my 1000s now, too). That said, moving to Tennessee and riding all but a couple weeks out of the year is an ultimate winterization plan!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you..Great advice, especially the traps. Mine will be in attached garage but those varmints love warm over cold...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you're concerned about having the front wheel on the ground, a short length of RR-Tie makes a great Support to go under the Oil Pan... lifting the front wheel slightly off the ground, w Rear in the air from centerstand. Very Stable too.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
If stored inside, I would only use a cotton sheet for cover to avoid condensation. I had a problem with rodents until I put a Black Cat bait box with a poison stick in my trunk. No evidence (in the bike) in ten years since. I carry that bait box around all of the time, now. Just leave it in the trunk. Also, cover the air cleaner intakes with metal mesh/screen etc. to keep them out of that inviting area (I do it on my 1000s now, too). That said, moving to Tennessee and riding all but a couple weeks out of the year is an ultimate winterization plan!
Is that by any chance TomCat not Black Cat?

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Rodent-Station-Securing-Security/dp/B01N5MJFZK/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=Black+Cat+bait+box&qid=1571918477&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-8

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
On simpler machines i used to oil the top of the cylinders for winter storage. Would need many hands and tools to do a flat six.
I do store mine in a tent purchased from pep boys. Put it away clean and dry, comes out the same way. Put a tub of desicant in to absorb any moisture.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is my 1st year storing a wing but I'm gonna use the same method I've used for boats here in North Dakota (where storage goes for months) to stop those little critters, Bounce fabric softener sheets in the compartments saddle bags and general area. Seem they don't like the smell, had a guy tell me this and I've used it for years with very good results in the boat that is stored at a storage facility. A couple of years ago the boats stored on both sides of mine had a infiltration and I never saw as much as a trace in ours.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I add a fuel stabilizer usually in November for the storage months ahead. Battery tender plugged in. Bike cleaned and covered. Bike is stored in my insulated but unheated garage. Bike is always parked on a rubber mat. The bike is ready to rumble at any time just in case the weather cooperates. I always try to ride every month- I pulled it off one year. It seems February is usually the no go month. January and March can sometimes throw in some rideable days. When the riding season is at a lull I like to go and give the Wing a hug every so often so it knows it isn’t abandoned!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Or Florida as an alternate plan ?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts

Excellent idea here... I will order this stuff myself cause last month, when I changed my air filter, it was totally plugged up with M&M's candy.... (What surprises me is that I don't eat M&M's, and I'm quite sure that my wife doesn't sit or hide in the garage and eat M&M's either..) and we live where no kids are near by..

I liked the idea of changing out spark plugs, and pouring in some clean motor oil into each plug hole..

Another idea that I use is to place a rug down under your bike (If in a garage) too help keep condensation down from your cement floor..

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts