GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those of you who live in Minnesota and Minnesota type locations.

Do you store your Motorcycle over the winter. Like in a facility? Up until now I stored my wing each winter at the dealer that I bought it from.

However this summer I built a 3rd car attached garage. In which I could park my ride.

So I wonder what do you do for the winter. I know some take battery out and trickle charge, bla bla. Drain Oil, bla bla.

So what do you guys do!

:roll:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
You got the ticket.. That and maybe spray down the exposed metal chrome with some WD40..
Personally, I ride year round as long as there's no snow or ice on the road..

G

·
1SG said:
I have a question for those of you who live in Minnesota and Minnesota type locations.

Do you store your Motorcycle over the winter. Like in a facility? Up until now I stored my wing each winter at the dealer that I bought it from.

However this summer I built a 3rd car attached garage. In which I could park my ride.

So I wonder what do you do for the winter. I know some take battery out and trickle charge, bla bla. Drain Oil, bla bla.

So what do you guys do!

:roll:
#1 Chg oil and filter.
#2 Fill gas tank and add Stabil gas conditioner.
#3 Remove battery and storage inside.
#4 Store on center stand and cover.
#5 Add some mouse traps if you think their present.
#6 Go in the house, start a fire, and watch the Vikings get bet......... :?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,536 Posts
The most damage that can occur is from temperature swings that cause all the metal parts to form condensation. My baby isn't that far north but she is in a heated garage for the same reason. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I fill the tank and add Stabil, make sure it's cleaned up, put it on the center stand, take the battery inside and put it on the trickle charger. I know they say to change oil and filter but I never do before putting it in storage. GO VIKES!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yep ! Change the oil, Stabil for the gas tank, up on the center stand, pull the battery and then put the cover on her. I charge the battery in the basement every 30 days per the manf recomendation. Been doing this for 4 years, install the battery in the spring and I'm good to go........ :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
fill gas tank, then drive until empty, repeat until spring, WORKS FOR ME

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Islander said:
fill gas tank, then drive until empty, repeat until spring, WORKS FOR ME
Pretty much what I do, too.

·
Registered
552 Posts
1SG said:

So what do you guys do!
A lot of guys ship their bikes south for the winter so they don't freeze up. I take care of several of them at a time and feed and excercise them regularly. You are more than welcome to PM for my price list and we can set something up. I'm pretty cheap and give special pricing for 1800's as they don't require as much baby sitting as let's say an HD or CRF450. :wink:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Clean, fill fuel tank, hook up battery tender, cover. Bike is ready if you get a couple of warm days you can ride and repeat as needed. I am going to add some mothballs around mine this winter to hopefully keep the mice away from the air box.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I lived in Austin, MN last year, Vegas the year before that and Fargo/Moorhead...etc. Spent most of my life in MN, the best state there is by the way. Of course, now Im out in Wyoming.

This year, Im going to do the same thing I did last year in MN. Run Stabil through the bike (some say just add it and let the bike run for a minute or two...dont think that gets it through the system that fast); run it through for a day or two as you ride like normal before you put er in storage. Then put the bike up on its center stand and give it a give cleaning if I have time. Put a block under the front tire and cover the bike. Never took the battery out last year. Id go every couple months to the storage shed for some reason or another and shed fire right up.

This winter, Im going to pretty much do the same thing out here in Wyoming. Would charge the battery if I had a trickle charger, but I dont so ....I wont, lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just change oil and try and drive it 50 to 100 miles each month on cold days, bring it back and washer up again when I can't I just start it and let run for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I just change oil and try and drive it 50 to 100 miles each month on cold days, bring it back and washer up again when I can't I just start it and let run for 15 minutes.
There ya go

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just changed the oil about 1,000 miles ago. Not sure how many more miles I will get before the snow starts falling, hoping on a couple more thousand.
Should I plan on changing the oil and filter, even though it will be much earlier than needed?I usually change the oil every 8,000 miles so I would prefer doing it then, but could do it at 3,000 or so if that is best for the bike.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I will not repeat what has been said.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Buffalo, MN here. Leave the battery in it and trickle charge it maybe once a month or every other month. Every winter we get a day here and there where the temp gets to 30°F or better. Hell, it's 35-40°F in the mornings NOW! Go start the bike and let it run for 15 minutes. No need to winterize a fuel injected motor as they start well when it's cold. Just run the sucker on the center stand, let it warm up, put it in first gear and let the back tire spin slowly. No need to cover the bike. Ya have to wash it anyway in the spring so why cover it. If you run it once a month or at least once every two months, no need to do a end of season oil change either. You do however, need to put stabil, seafoam, etc. in a full gas tank. The full tank keeps the corrosion out of the tank and the gas treatment additive keeps the fuel from turning into varnish, gel, etc. Take a long look at seafoam. It's better than stabil as it does more than just stabilize the gas. It's been around since the 60's also.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
joel3078 said:
Buffalo, MN here. Leave the battery in it and trickle charge it maybe once a month or every other month. Every winter we get a day here and there where the temp gets to 30°F or better. Hell, it's 35-40°F in the mornings NOW! Go start the bike and let it run for 15 minutes. No need to winterize a fuel injected motor as they start well when it's cold. Just run the sucker on the center stand, let it warm up, put it in first gear and let the back tire spin slowly. No need to cover the bike. Ya have to wash it anyway in the spring so why cover it. If you run it once a month or at least once every two months, no need to do a end of season oil change either. You do however, need to put stabil, seafoam, etc. in a full gas tank. The full tank keeps the corrosion out of the tank and the gas treatment additive keeps the fuel from turning into varnish, gel, etc. Take a long look at seafoam. It's better than stabil as it does more than just stabilize the gas. It's been around since the 60's also.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
Corrosion in the tank? Hmmm! But we have injected molded plastic tanks on the GL1800. What would corrode inside the tank? :lol:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Harley has a metal tank so why doesn't everyone? :oops: Plastic tank eh? Still learning about my new wing obviously. Yippy more plastic! Hope she never starts on fire cause it ain't going out! Give new meaning to gone in 60 seconds.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You guys in MN, going to the MN PGR Event on Saturday? See more info here...

www.mnpatriotguard.org. Live in CG myself and appreciate all the advice on this link.

John

·
Registered
484 Posts
MN website link is dead John. Anyways, I already have a ride with a small group of friends Saturday. Thanks for info and invite.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts