GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife refuses to ride during the winter so I took her VTX today to circulate the oil and run a little gas through it. FROZE!. I came home and got the wing and it was like turning on the heater. I never really appreciated the wind protection before back to back rides at 23 degrees. :eek:4:

I gotta give credit to the few hardy souls I see on cruisers this time of year.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yeah, major difference between riding the VTX and Wing, especially in cold weather. Rode the VTX for 3 years, summer and winter. Now on the wing, I can ride at even lower temps !!!! Woo Hoo

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmmmm.
How cold does it really get in Mesquite, Texas?

Weather.com says it will be in the 50's and 60's for the majority of December, with a few high-40's thrown in.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Sid Moen said:
My wife refuses to ride during the winter so I took her VTX today to circulate the oil and run a little gas through it. FROZE!. I came home and got the wing and it was like turning on the heater. I never really appreciated the wind protection before back to back rides at 23 degrees. :eek:4:

me as well

last year i rode the wifes valkyrie tourer, and almost froze as well

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
37 this morn here, down to 24 tonight! Too bad i don't have to go to work untill next week. I've been using my off {down time} to clean, install spoiler {thanks Hal}, install trunk light, cookout fish, steaks and spend time with the Better Half! BRRRR!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
jcarney84 said:
Hmmmm.

Weather.com says it will be in the 50's and 60's for the majority of December, with a few high-40's thrown in.
Well let's see. I was in Big Bend on my BMW last december and it was 9 degrees F when I rode through Alpine.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
In Mesquite, it is 42 degrees as we speak, with a low of 24 predicted for this evening. And I got to be out for Citizens Police Academy practicals tonight. How come they schedule those on the coldest days. Last year was freezing, too.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Sid Moen said:

Sid,
You must live in the extreme South East of Michigan. I had an inch of snow to clear off today, not that I'd be riding anyway. Temperature hovered around 20 all day.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Yeah, but we're smart sissies. LOL

·
Registered
601 Posts
jcarney84 said:
Hmmmm.

It will be 16 to 19 in the morning, warming up to the low 40's ..
Thats COLD ..
I miss Summer .. 85 to 90 ...

Ride Safely .... 8)

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
down to 12 tonight with WC at 0
back up 32 tomorow

·
Registered
679 Posts
In 1973 (before I-10 was built) I was crossing Texas enroute to San Francisco with my 8 month pregnant spouse and ran into the worst ice storm in West Texas in 30 years. Got stuck in Ft. Stockton ("It ain't the end of the world but you can see it from there"). Spent three frozen days there, and finally got into New Mexico where it was quite warm.

Ride long and safe..and yeh, it gets cold in Texas.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Winter Wing Riders are Sissies!
Too Late Smart.

It wasn't me that took a VTX for a ride in freezing weather.......lately.....

Experience is learned from dumb mistakes...........

·
Registered
123 Posts
You're killing me! I think the high here today was 28. 13 right now. Spent an hour outside in the wind at 5 p.m. Ended up with a frozen hand and a snot moustache.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You need one of those shorty pipes to smoke.

Because they are short, the burning pipe tobacco keeps your nose warm, and your nose keeps the tobacco moist................. :duck:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't mind the cold so much but here in Ohio they cover the roads with salt. I would ride on a cold sunny day if it wasn't for all that salt. But for now the bike stays in the garage till the rain washes off the roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts