GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What needs to be done to a wing to winterize it properly? The topic came up this weekend and recommendation were all over the place. So, I thought I would come to this site for the truth or at least a little insight from you experienced individuals. In addition to installing a battery tender, do you need fog the engine, Stabil the gas, get the tires up off the floor (prevent flat spots)? Is there any thing else that needs to be done? I want to properly winterize the wing for the winter months to prevent spring time frustrations.

Thanks
Rusty

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I put it on the center stand & put a peice (sometimes) of cardboard under the front wheel!! I also hook up a charger once a month no staybil ...chuck

·
Registered
638 Posts
Put it on the centerstand.
Put Stabil in a full tank of gas.
Change the oil.
Connect a battery maintainer to the battery.
Squirt one ot two tablespoons of oil into each cylinder and crank the engine without starting it to distribute the oil (or use the bike whenever the whether permits).

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was told by a Honda mechanic not to use fogging oil in the cylinders. It will cause problems with the oxygen sensors. It seems like a lot of trouble to squirt oil in the cylinders but why not!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
joevano said:
I was told by a Honda mechanic not to use fogging oil in the cylinders. It will cause problems with the oxygen sensors. It seems like a lot of trouble to squirt oil in the cylinders but why not!
Why not?? If fogging oil hurts O2 sen.dont you think oil in the cylinders go to the SAME place....by the way what does mother honda say??

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,776 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
I make sure my bike si full if fuel.. then I go riding.. :lol: we have a 12 month riding season here..

cosmic
You guys down south just always have to rub that in when it starts to get cold :lol:
I have a six week period right after New Years where it's just too darn cold for any real rides and then there's the salt on the roads. I just hate the winter.

I always wash and wax my bike, especially my chrome wheels, keep the fuel tank full, hook up the battery tendor and put it on the center stand with a small jack under the front of the engine to lift the bikes front wheel up a few inches off of the floor when it sits for that six weeks or so.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I'm in Chicagoland, and I put on almost 1K miles during the winter. You should be able to find 40 deg days there this winter. Put gas in it, go riding when temps above 38 or so. Just wear Long Johns. :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Because I will not be riding once I put mine away I do the following.
Clean her up real good, change the oil and filter, add stabilizer to the fuel and run the bike for a few miles, put her on the center stand, pull the battery and keep it inside on a tender, cover her up and await the first sign of Spring.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
Because I will not be riding once I put mine away I do the following.
Clean her up real good, change the oil and filter, add stabilizer to the fuel and run the bike for a few miles, put her on the center stand, pull the battery and keep it inside on a tender, cover her up and await the first sign of Spring.
Yep ! I do the same thing George does, only I charge mine every 30 days per the battery recomendations.....2amp at 5 to 10hrs. I normally do mine for 5hrs. I've done it this way since I bought the wing without a hint of trouble in the spring............ :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts