GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the cooler weather is here I’ve started on my annual maintenance on my GL1800. Like most people I don’t want to do anything that may violate my extended warranty on the bike. So, I was wondering about the following:

If I change the air in my tires from summer air to winter air do I have to use genuine Honda air? I know a lot of people only use genuine Honda oil. It doesn’t mention anything in the owner’s manual or in the service manual about what kind of air to use. I know it’s important to have the proper amount, what about the proper kind?

While I was contemplating the air question I picked up a can of squelch. I know having the proper amount of squelch can make riding with a CB a whole lot more enjoyable. I want to be able to hear as far as possible without picking up skip so I just skipped the skip in the store. I always find skip annoying anyhow and usually just tune it out on my CB.

Speaking of the CB, while I was in the store I got a jar of low SWR. We all know how important a low SWR is. It can mean an extra 10 or 20 yards on your CB transmit.

Of course I bought some of that new synthetic dehydrated Honda water to fill my headlights. Want to be able to see and be seen. The fact it’s dehydrated lowered the shipping costs and storage in the garage is easier as it takes less space. I figured here I better use the genuine Honda stuff here.

I also decided to change to Synthetic Blinker fluid. I want the extra smoothness when I’m using my turn signals. I don’t know why Honda doesn’t make a synthetic version of theirs.

Finally I picked up a new set of Muffler bearings. I never liked the ball bearing Honda uses. I think the tapered roller bearing do a better job and you can use a little more torque on them for quieter operation.

Since I clean my bike a lot, I was once accused of polishing my wiring, I also picked up an extra can of elbow grease. Can never have too much of that stuff.

I guess Ill be ready for the summer riding season this year once I get all that stuff installed.

Yours In Friendship
Burt

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Your part about changing the air made me laugh. When I was in High School, I worked a the local Gulf station. One day another on of the students drove into the station with Daddy's car and wanted 10 gals of gas. Wanted oil and transmission fluid checked, all windows cleaned and the air in the tires checked.
I told him I could not do the tires since we still had 'summer' air in the tanks and it was not safe to put in summer air since it was October. He had a DUH look on his face.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You almost forgot the intake air, check it closely. Make sure you have the right mixture for maximum power. As for me I run summer air in my tires year round but I’m kinda of a rebel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts