GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a pic tail to be used between my unigo trailer and the wire harness on my bike. It is the EC harness and Isolation kit I installed. This pic tail will be about a foot long and will have a plug on each end to mate with the trailer and with the bike. Does anyone know what gage wire was used in the harness?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You should be OK with 18 AWG, it is larger than the wire used on the bike and it is what I normally use for all the trailer harnesses I build and it is what is used in the flat cable found on commercially available trailer wire harness and pig tails you buy from the auto parts store or Amazon.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well first off, it's not "pic", it's PIG tail. Heck, I don't know why they call it that other than a pigs tail is curly so, some of the connections between vehicles and trailers, and, between motorhomes and towed vehicles are called PIG TAILS. Anyway, Here's just a suggestion. Most trailers, have a built in pig tail. That is, the lead from the trailer is already long enough to reach the vehicle towing it. And, that way, you have WAY less plugs and connections to deal with and, that could possibly cause connection issues down the road. The more connections you have, as in all the connections on the back side of each plug, the more potential for issues.

Whereas, if you simply hardwire, or, solder all the wires from your new PIG tail to the existing wires on the trailer, then, have only ONE PLUG at the bike end, you'll be a lot better off in the long run. This is of course, something you need to decide on. It's the way it's done for about 99.9999% of the trailers out there.
Scott

P.S. If it were me, I'd use no less than 16GA wire. It's easier to work with due to its size and, will carry any loads that lighting should present to it with ease. About 99.99% of the trailer wiring harness's out there utilize 16GA wire.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, I know it's pig tail and I normally do a better job of prof reading my post before posting. Thanks for correcting.
After thinking about this more I do like the idea of extending the wires and keeping one plug connection.

Sorry for the late reply, I use my lap top quite often and have not been able to create any post of reply to a post while on the lap top. I have to use my desk top for this forum.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
LOL, I know it's pig tail and I normally do a better job of prof reading my post before posting. Thanks for correcting.
After thinking about this more I do like the idea of extending the wires and keeping one plug connection.

Sorry for the late reply, I use my lap top quite often and have not been able to create any post of reply to a post while on the lap top. I have to use my desk top for this forum.
Roger that Sir. Hard wiring it with only the bike end for a plug would be, in my opinion, your best approach to this issue. Some solder, some heat shrink and, you're done with a clean and long living trailer PIG tail, ha ha ha.
Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts