GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the wire from the the fuse box up to the access plug in the front left pocket...Tried to run a very small compressor off the plug last weeken and the fuse popped in just a second or two..It looks like a 16 at the back of the plug but I was wonder the size is from the plug play back to fuse block..Thanks save me a little dugging.

·
Registered
654 Posts
not sure on the wire size, but the acc plug only has a 5A fuse so that is likely why you lost the power. Some have changed out to a 10A fuse with no problems, or you could just hook up a new more robust power wire to a new location for a compressor so you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I believe the wire is a size 16. The circuit is limited to 5 amps. I attached an adapter similiar to the battery tender connector direct from the battery. I then modified a 12v power plug (with 15 Amp inline fuse) with the proper connector to plug into it and use that connection to run a tire pump. When I want to charge the battery I connect the battery tender to connector I leave attached to the battery. I got the connectors at Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks...If it is a 16 all the way then it would handle the 10 amp...I also have to put my amp guage on the compressor it may only need the 10 or 12 amps at start up then drop right off to 5 or 6 amp..The fuse popped so quickly the other day the compressor never made it threw start up draw...Thanks

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Ok thanks...If it is a 16 all the way then it would handle the 10 amp...I also have to put my amp guage on the compressor it may only need the 10 or 12 amps at start up then drop right off to 5 or 6 amp..The fuse popped so quickly the other day the compressor never made it threw start up draw...Thanks
While it is true that 16 gauge wire is rated at 10 amps, remember that is under perfect conditions. I would not recommend running an air pump on that circuit as it is not designed for that much load. I would be concerned about heat... which could be a very bad thing. It is never good to load a circuit on the ragged edge. That's how bad things happen. I would recommend doing what some others will eventually suggest. That is run another properly sized wire. That fuse blew for a reason.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
You should also be concerned with the ampacity of any connector it runs through.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I connect a relay to the battery through a 15-amp fuse, key it with the 5V accessory terminal, and connect the 12V accessory socket to output terminal of the relay with 14 gauge wire. .

I also put a switch in the 5v key circuit so I can turn-off my 12-volt socket.

This will power your air compressor. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just put alligator clip on the pump wires . That way any ole battery will do including your own.

Kit

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I connect a relay to the battery through a 15-amp fuse, key it with the 5V accessory terminal, and connect the 12V accessory socket to output terminal of the relay with 14 gauge wire. .

I also put a switch in the 5v key circuit so I can turn-off my 12-volt socket.

This will power your air compressor. :thumbup:
5V? I believe mine was 12V.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Honda put the bare minimum wire sizes on this bike to save weight. That wire is hooked to a 5 amp fuse and will melt the insulation with a 10amp fuse in its place.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just put alligator clip on the pump wires . That way any ole battery will do including your own.

Kit
LOL.... Thats funny I can't believe I didn't think of that..That would be the way to go..I guess that was to easy to see..Thanks clips it will be..Good idea...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
actually 16 ga. wire is good for (depending on whose table you believe) up to 22 amps in chassis applications.

Here is one location (of several) to back that claim:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Yes and you have to remember how long the wire is...is a major factor for amps..shorter the wire..the more the amps..thanks I was asking cause I have not even openned the bike to look yet... I think I'm going with the clip tip..

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Texas Blackbird:
I corrected my typo. I should have written
5- Amp keying circuit. I did not proof-read well enough.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Cliff :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
55 years electronics work and hobby behind that oversight.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
16 gauge was a guess by someone. I believe it is 18 gauge wire.

·
Registered
467 Posts
All one has to do is read some old posts where someone spends a lot of hours trying to trace down a bizarre electrical problem that winds up being a ground issue in a connector buried deep under mounds of tupperware to understand how unwise it is to boost a circuit fuse. I know this sounds preachy but it is way too simple to add a proper lead/connector directly to the battery with a sizable fuse that will not cause these kinds of problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts