GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be an odd request, but does anyone know what type of connectors and terminals are used on the Goldwing? I'm trying to build a semi-custom harness and would like to keep it using OEM style connectors and terminals. I've looked and found about a billion different kind of terminals, but I don't know what type these are or what type of connectors they use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
1 Posts
The connectors have changed over the years and and are model year/generation dependent - they don't all use the same style of connectors. You may want to take a look at waytekwire.com to help identify what you need. Be aware that for many of the connectors they sell there are some pretty high minimum purchase quantities, though.

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
To me it seems there was a challenge issued to the Goldwing engineers to see how many different connectors they could use on one model; like they were intentionally trying to use at least one of every Hitachi connector in the catalog. Why couldn't all the two terminal connectors be the same?
:mad:
Rant over; back to coffee.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
To me it seems there was a challenge issued to the Goldwing engineers to see how many different connectors they could use on one model; like they were intentionally trying to use at least one of every Hitachi connector in the catalog. Why couldn't all the two terminal connectors be the same?
...and Honda has one engineer whose total job is to see how many push-in, pull-out, lift-up, press-down connector combinations they can come up with, just to keep you on your toes.

A different engineer has the job to see how short to make the wires going to them, with his boss shortening them a little more, just enough to make them troublesome to work with.

Location of such wiring goes to the engineer who designed where the air filter was placed and seat attachment screws/alignment... this guy also recommend that mirror 'jis' screws be torqued to 5000nm.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
This might be an odd request, but does anyone know what type of connectors and terminals are used on the Goldwing? I'm trying to build a semi-custom harness and would like to keep it using OEM style connectors and terminals. I've looked and found about a billion different kind of terminals, but I don't know what type these are or what type of connectors they use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
I use Cycle terminals, http://cycleterminal.com/, for most of my harness work I do, for some odd ball stuff I use Corsa-Technic, https://www.corsa-technic.com/, they are currently sourcing a hard to find connector used on some older model Yamaha Venture Royales that I have need of. Corsa-Technic also sells wire that will in most cases match the color that Honda uses if you want to do that.

Do you have a specific connector need right now or just looking in general?

Also get a good quality crimper, nothing worse that having a wire pull out after you have crimped it, I recently purchased one of these off Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMM4YUY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, works really well.
Also order a couple extra crimp terminals for each style connector , just in case you goof one up.

I build harnesses all the time PM me if you have a specific issue or question I can probably help.

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
9,328 Posts

Thanks,

Keith
You might help us by being a bit more specific - model year of bike, which connectors, etc.

A dozen or more different styles/models of connector on this bike - gotta help us help you by being a bit more specific.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I've looked and found about a billion different kind of terminals, but I don't know what type these are or what type of connectors they use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
Can you post a picture of the connector on the Wing that you need ???

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
...and Honda has one engineer whose total job is to see how many push-in, pull-out, lift-up, press-down connector combinations they can come up with, just to keep you on your toes.
Pretty common design consideration to try and keep items from being mis-connected.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, my apologies to everyone. I should have explained what I was trying to do and what I was looking for. I am trying to build a multi-connector harness for power below the left pocket on my '07 Wing, similar to the one that Cyclemax sells. That's the three wire connecter that really only has two wires in it. Attached is a picture of what the connector looks like. From what I have found out, this uses Hitachi connecter terminals and connectors. I'm looking for a good crimper that won't break the bank. I have one that will do the weatherpack connectors, but that won't work with these connectors. I also have a few other projects that I will need to make wire harnesses for, so I'm looking for something that will work on not just bike connectors, but also Ford wire connectors. I've got a pair of crimpers that have removable jaws but I am not sure how to tell which jaws are the ones that I need. I don't mind buying the dies as long as they are the correct ones. I have the dies for the weatherpack connectors, but nothing else. Appreciate y'all's responses and the headslap for not telling any details. Not trying to hide anything, but I put the comment in when I was tired and it was getting late for me. Again, thanks for all the info. I'm doing more research to figure out what will work for me. Any other suggestions would always be welcome.

Keith

Attachments

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I'm looking for a good crimper that won't break the bank.
Hitachi connectors can be ordered from many web pages.

As for crimping tools, this is the pair I use most when using Hitachi connectors.

HERO FRH-07

I order a lot of stuff from here, and ordered that tool from them years ago. If putting 2 wires into one crimp, be sure the wire is 18+ gauge or it will not fit.

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Tools/tools.html

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Bought some connectors from an eBay vendor when I bought mine.

MTW .110 connectors originally were from sumitomo, not Hitachi.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Get a set of >Removal tools< while you are at it. My spouselng worked at Packard electric for 25 years and I have a collection of them which are invaluable if you need to disassemble connectors.

>click here<

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bought some connectors from an eBay vendor when I bought mine.

MTW .110 connectors originally were from sumitomo, not Hitachi.
One of the vendors listed here showed me that same information. Always helpful to know little things like that. Thanks, kwthom!!

Reactions: kwthom
1 - 19 of 19 Posts