GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only for Ducati now..
.. Could be a real game changer, if it worked on any bike.

Ducati Multistrada D-Air motorcycle offers a safer ride with airbag jackets

Safety
is one of the prime concerns of a motorcycle and unlike cars where airbags play an important saving factor; bikes typically can’t offer this feature.
This was until motorcycle clothing company Dainese and motorcycle makers Ducati started experimenting with the idea of integrating an airbag for the rider and the pillion, into the biking experience.

The result is the Ducati Multistrada D-Air model.
Ducati takes the credit for giving us the first ever production motorcycle that features a wirelessly integrated system that works with airbag riding jackets. Teaming up with their Italian counterpart, the system works by combining an intelligent system of sensors that connect wirelessly to the Ducati Apparel airbag jackets by Dainese.
This new jacket is a significant innovation in terms of road-safety and two-wheel safety.

The way the deal works is this: an array of intelligent passive safety system sensors are built into the Multistrada's existing electronics. This helps the sensors to understand the bike’s dynamic situation and thus deploys the airbag feature of the jacket only in the case of a legitimate accident.

If we look at it in slow-mo, it takes the Multistrada D-Air system only 45 milliseconds to analyze the data and deploy airbag inside both the rider and passenger jackets. This goes on to reduce injuries on impact and perhaps save several broken bones and maybe a life. For now, this new model will be available in European markets by May 2014, and more information regarding the same will be out in mid-April.

From SlashGear.com
http://www.slashgear.com/ducati-mul...rs-a-safer-ride-with-airbag-jackets-25321901/
Radhika Seth

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
They have had a version of this out foryears I got one for my young daughter while learning to jump her horse. a lanyard attached to the saddle or motorcycle seat .. you can get them in just a vest configuration or any different style jackets to go with whatever sport.. My daughter had the one that looked like the prim English riding jacket.. HIT-AIR makes one of them

If they can make this deployment sytem universal would be even batter and less chance of a false deployment

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the lanyard version..

.. This is the first wireless version I've read about.

Dennis

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
does it go off before you hit car/ground ? or just as you do ? being bt so its (wired ) to bike sensors ? good idea. the ground/car is awful hard :cry:

·
Outta Here by M2
1 Posts
Alpinstars has a airbag race suit that is self contained with sensors and pressure canisters. It's a little pricey, unless you need it, then it's a bargain. Almost $6000

john

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a little pricey, unless you need it, then it's a bargain. Almost $6000
john
..Guess it's like any insurance..
...$6,000 is cheaper than an overnight in the ER ..., assuming the airbag actually saves you a visit to the ER..?

I don't think I'd pay that much but if they got it under a grand I'd seriously consider it.

Dennis

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
new type body bag !:eek:4:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the concept, however, it would be nice if it offered protection for the elbows too.
I'm not certain but in the video it looks like there are hard shoulder and elbow pads..?

..I like that it inflates around your neck and up to the bottom of the helmet.. might prevent a broken neck.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Hopefully this technology will become affordable and trickle down in to street style jackets. right now, I think I read that these suits sell for around $6000.

The areas where the airbags are located will not affect the cooling of the jacket too much.

I'd spend $1500 on one....

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Hopefully this technology will become affordable and trickle down in to street style jackets. right now, I think I read that these suits sell for around $6000.

The areas where the airbags are located will not affect the cooling of the jacket too much.

I'd spend $1500 on one....
Yes, I guess the bags are located at the top or bottom edge so that would allow ventilation until inflated. Would not do much in a head on as far as the riders head goes.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
With a wireless control integrated with the bike . . . I'd buy it! You only need to spend a few days in an ICU to convince one of the value of such things! I'd not be as concerned with my appendages as I would with my core and my neck, and I've had personal experience in the neck department!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts