GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a wireless headset? I normally listen to the stereo/Navi/MP3/sat. though the speakers but looking for something to converse with the SO. We both have full face (flip up). I'd like to be able to tie into the stereo but isn't a requirement, main goal is to not have wires. We're fairly new to touring bikes and I have little idea what is out there. About the only thing I've seen that fits my requirements is the Cardo Scala Teamset Rider Bluetooth Headset, anyone using this one?

'07 bagger.

Thanks,

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Cardo Scala Teamset Rider Bluetooth Headset but Nolan now has a line of NCOM helmets that will take their optional headsets and add in modules and do what you want. They will allow Bluetooth communications between two helmets, or between a helmet and a phone or other Bluetooth device. Hold onto your checkbook when you dig far enough to see the price. They also have a hookup cable for the Gold Wing.

Since you already have flip helmets you would have to replace them with the Nolan 102 for it to accept their headset and electronics.

See more at:
FAQ
http://ncom.nolan.it/faq/Index_ENG.htm
Home page
http://ncom.nolan.it/index_eng.aspx

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
ronbien said:
NCOM... or other Bluetooth device. Hold onto your checkbook
Lots of $$$ and I don't think they are stereo yet ...
anyone know for sure?

I like the idea of no wires but I can't go back to "mono" ...

Dennis

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If your expecting good sound and seamless integration....
My research has come up blank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I'm jumping the gun on wireless. Looked at the Nolan's, haven't found a US version, don't want to buy dedicated helmets so I think I'll probably go wired.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Currently wired is the way to go, there are several companies exploring this (including J&M http://www.jmcorp.com), but I have not seen anything that gives you a good stereo wireless headset with all of the intercom functions..... yet. Please read the following article off of J&Ms website.

Can We Really Cut The Cord Yet?
John Lazzeroni, President, J&M Corporation

The short answer is maybe yes, kind of, well, sort of.
The idea of wireless helmet headsets to be used while riding your favorite motorcycle is certainly on the horizon and very appealing to those folks who don't mind charging batteries every night, before the next days ride.

However the audio performance and band width capacity of these first generation wireless headsets currently being released to the marketplace, may not live up to our expectations and that includes the new J&M wireless headset, set for release in April of 2007.

The problem is Bluetooth® and the electronic modules currently available to make use of this exciting wireless technology.

Take the current wireless helmet headset offerings in the motorcycle marketplace today for instance.

They are not true stereo, only mono, and the audio quality and performance delivered to the rider's ears falls far short of what we currently expect from our good o'l wired headsets.

In addition, when you want to use the intercom feature, the system needs to unlink from the music or cell phone source and link to the passenger's helmet for the intercom feature to work.

Get a phone call to the driver's helmet or other Bluetooth priority signal, and the intercom will un-link between the driver and passenger and stay that way till the driver's helmet is finished with what it is doing with the other device.

Then it can take as long as 20 seconds for the helmets to re-link together for intercom after the driver's helmet IS finished with the other devices.

There is no real way to have a bike-to-bike transmitter (CB or FRS) with the good old handlebar mounted PTT and have it go back and forth between music, CB and intercom in a smooth fashion, like we are used to with our wired headsets.

And while the engineers at J&M are designing our first generation wireless headsets, they are having to choose between being able to receive "true" two channel high fidelity stereo music into our wireless headset, or live with mono, because there is not enough firmware capacity in the device to allow stereo and intercom to be featured in the same headset.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but "I" am not in favor of using a new and fancy wireless helmet headset if it will not even perform or function as well as our current wired headsets,,,,,, why should we go backwards ?

However, the news is not all bad.
Most of these new wireless headsets will link to a Bluetooth enabled music source and cell phone for instance, at the same time, so that when a solo rider receives a cell phone call, the music is momentarily un-linked for the duration of the phone call and then returns to the helmet after the conversation is over, and this feature is especially smooth with the cell phone feature set to "auto-answer" mode.

You can also link these new wireless headsets to the new GPS/cell phone command centers such as the Garmin 2820 and TomTom Rider, to provide music, cell phone and GPS route commands, wireless to a single headset.

But they will NOT connect to the Gold Wing audio system, principally because there are no Bluetooth dongles available, and if J&M made these dongles for instance, with the Bluetooth technology currently available, many of the features of the Gold Wing audio system would not even function properly.

That is why J&M has chosen to design into its new wireless headset, the ability to shut the wireless Bluetooth portion of the headset off and connect the standard J&M cord system to a motorcycle like the Gold Wing, to provide ALL of the audio system features we have grown accustomed to.

Then if the rider takes the same helmet and climbs aboard his ST-1300 with the latest Generation Garmin wiz-bang GPS/Music/Cell phone command center, he can link to that with the wireless portion of the headset.

J&M has also chosen to design it's new wireless headset for full two channel stereo Bluetooth operation, eliminating permanently the Bluetooth intercom function, so that at least the audio portion of the headset will sound as good as our current wired headsets when you listen to your favorite music recordings, like you can get from a Bluetooth enabled I-Pod/MP/3 device.

In addition, we will use twin Lithium Ion power cells(instead of just one like everyone else), so we at least have the audio amplifier power to duplicate the sound of our best wired headsets and have battery life exceed 8+ hours between charges.

In summary, I am sure in the years ahead of us, the Bluetooth technology will improve enough to allow us all to really "cut-the-cord" if we so desire,,,, but today, in my opinion, it is just not up to the task.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts