GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hit on this subject before, but after searching for over an hour I have yet to find any old post about this.

I want to wire in a 3rd mic so that I can hear my GPS commands through my headset. I want to do this because I want the GPS to mute the radio when it gives voice commands. Otherwise I would just connect the audio out jack on the GPS to the bikes aux. input. Can anyone tell me which wires to the female headset connector is for the mics? Got any pictures if you've done this mod before? I have an extra (new) mic only that I would like to attach to my Magellan 2200T GPS mount for this purpose. I have a 2004 GL1800. I was told by one feller that the mic + wire is white and that the ground in the sliver wire jacket that surrounds the factory cord harness.

I have a Kenedy cell-set and figured it is wired in parralel to the mic side of the harness, also. But I don't know which of the cell-set wires ties into the intercom of the bike.

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally found the answer to my own question today. On page 22-12 of the factory manual, there is a diagram of the lay-out of the corresponding wires that belong to the mic and speakers. White is the lead for the mic and the other wire goes to shield (silver ground surrounding the wire jacket).

I was previously told that with the empty hole at 12 o'clock, the mic ports were at 9 & 10 o'clock positions. This was wrong. It should have said that with the empty hole at 6 o'clock (down) the mic wires are at 9 & 10 o'clock. Extra mic worked perfectly when temp. connected to these 2 ports on the bike. Now all I have to do is splice a 1/8" female pin connector in with the mic wires on the bike. Then I can plug the male side pin into it to connect the extra mic at will.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Those EdSets adapters just provide an audio output jack from the standard headset connector so you can use earplugs instead of a headset.

Just keep in mind that the microphone scenario you're trying to connect is probably going to add quite a bit of background noise to the intercom system when it's plugged in.

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, why would this set up create background noise if the other mics do not? The mic that I'm using has a windsock over it so wind is not any more of an issue. I was told that not using a shielded cable could cause feedback from the ignition on the bike, but I am using a shielded cable. Before I tap into the wires for the pin connector, I think I'll do a temp hook-up to the bikes headset port and go for a spin.

Stan

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The other mics do generate ambient noise, which is why the Mic-Mute system is so popular, along with passenger headset controls that include a mic disconnect switch.

Depending on where your GPS is mounted, the back (speaker) side of the unit is going to be exposed to some amount of wind which will be picked up by the mic.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As soon as I can get over this sinus infection, I'll hook everything up, go for a ride, and report back the results here.

Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts