GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 comfort/NAV./ABS model. I am trying to take off the plastic cover which holds the heated seat, grip controls and speaker grills. I got the tweeter wires off but I can not find a release for the main wire connection and my fingers are killing me. Can someone please tell me where the release is? Any help will be greatly appreciated. What is the secret???? I love this bike SOMETIMES!!!!!

Thank you
Vince

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Go to 2:35min on this video and I think the plug is the same operation on the 08. There is another video from Steve Saunders that shows it but it is basically the same and I can't find it now.

The latches on the plugs are not all the same but same design and you have to look close to see what it takes to get it to work. Maybe someone else can splain it better basically it is a PIA until you do it then you will forget how the next time you do it. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The connector is different on the 08 but similar you have to press down on a tab and then comes apart. So I did get it and hope the rest of them are not as tight to got too. I have big hands. Thanks again for your help

Vince

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
That is one hard connector to get to and the locking tab is buried inside the shell.
I have attached pictures of a similar connector that should help. I have use a long thin screw driver to reach in and lift the tab.

Hope this helps, I know others have cut the locking tab off to make it easier to remove the next time, it will stay connected with out the locking tab.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
^ that's not the connector I've got on my '06 (just did it yesterday) and '10. Black squeeze in, not white lift up.

It sounds like Vince is past it, but the squeeze is forward right. Squeeze hard (that is my frequent fail, again yesterday), perhaps even push in a little to the left to help clear the lock. Then pull off to the right. The piece on the left is secured to a little trim tab off the ignition switch housing.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The biggest problem is applying pressure to get it to unlock. The metal tab that it is attached to is rather flimsy so when you press down, the tab moves at the same time. I usually use a pair of needle nosed pliers to squeeze and that will get the connector to come apart.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
That is one hard connector to get to and the locking tab is buried inside the shell.
I have attached pictures of a similar connector that should help. I have use a long thin screw driver to reach in and lift the tab.

Hope this helps, I know others have cut the locking tab off to make it easier to remove the next time, it will stay connected with out the locking tab.

Pretty sure that is the connector that supplies power to the heated grips and is tucked in under the right side of the shelter. I believe he is asking about the connector that is below the ignition switch panel that controls the heated seat switch, heated grip switch, and information buttons on the ignition/speaker panel.

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
For the 2006-17s, the push point for the black connector is still on the right side. Sometimes I'll need to look in with a flash light to verify that I'm releasing the clip fully. At other times I will lay a towel over the dash lens and spray the connector with BrakeClean (red can). And at other times I'll have to release the entire connector from its mount point, pull the dash panel loose and try again. On some, I never get them loose. Ones that don't easily come loose often represents how often the panel has been taken off, which can represent how often the air cleaner is replaced.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
^ that's not the connector I've got on my '06 (just did it yesterday) and '10. Black squeeze in, not white lift up.

It sounds like Vince is past it, but the squeeze is forward right. Squeeze hard (that is my frequent fail, again yesterday), perhaps even push in a little to the left to help clear the lock. Then pull off to the right. The piece on the left is secured to a little trim tab off the ignition switch housing.
You are correct, my bad, wrong connector pictured, please disregard my previous post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts