GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there someone who has a Honda Service Manual for a 2010 'GL 1800 who can help me with wiring diagram of the Navigation Unit.

Poul

·
Registered
687 Posts
Can you be a bit more specific about what your looking for?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have the full 2006-2010 Manual so if you tell which page your wanting to compare, I will look it up for you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the 09 service manual and Navigation supplement and there is no wiring diagram in either for the Navi system.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
When you look up the Navi units on any parts schematic the part numbers are different for both the Navi and the antenna.

The 2010 also has the XM radio capability and has different pin numbers and wire colors. Also extra wires to the meter panel. It has more capability and more functions.

I figure it will not work.

A new Navi unit is like 352 bucks, much less than I thought it would be.

If yours is not working it might not be the Navi, could be a pin connector or bad contact , many things.

How to test the Navi?? Not a clue, other than plug it into a like bike and see if it works.

·
Registered
525 Posts
From 2008 etm manual

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you look up the Navi units on any parts schematic the part numbers are different for both the Navi and the antenna.

The 2010 also has the XM radio capability and has different pin numbers and wire colors. Also extra wires to the meter panel. It has more capability and more functions.

I figure it will not work.

A new Navi unit is like 352 bucks, much less than I thought it would be.

If yours is not working it might not be the Navi, could be a pin connector or bad contact , many things.

How to test the Navi?? Not a clue, other than plug it into a like bike and see if it works.

If you look at the schematic the part number for the LCD and the meter panel is the same for 06-10' GL1800.
Therefore I think the wire connector would fit.

There is an extra connection for the XM radio but you could properly leave it unused, or buy the new sub harness and XM antenna.
As I write in Europe we don’t have any possibility to use XM satellite Radio anyway.

Poul

·
Registered
687 Posts
I believe I have those (I have the 2006-2010 manual), but I am not sure if I can scan them and post. Maybe and email? If I can scan. I might be in multiple parts that you would have to print and then put together. That OK?

·
Registered
645 Posts
IGNORE, this schematic is not an 09, it'd be 06-08

(orig) This is from this board, sposed to be 09. jpg format.

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
During this past week, has anyone confirmed that the preceding "09" schematic is indeed an 09-10? I don't have a clue whether it's actually an 09, or not. But, it's identical to my 06 manual. So, I question whether the schematic is an 09.

But ............................., the 09 may be identical. Just don't know at this point.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
During this past week, has anyone confirmed that the preceding "09" schematic is indeed an 09-10? I don't have a clue whether it's actually an 09, or not. But, it's identical to my 06 manual. So, I question whether the schematic is an 09.

But ............................., the 09 may be identical. Just don't know at this point.
Are you refering to the '09/'10 VIIIA Navi wiring diagram when compared to the '06-'08 VIIIA Navi diagram?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I can not open it large enough to get a good look at it. I have a 2010 manual, and a lot of stuff does appear to change from year to year. Some changes take in 2 years, 06-08 and then after 08.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Are you refering to the '09/'10 VIIIA Navi wiring diagram when compared to the '06-'08 VIIIA Navi diagram?
That is correct. I just don't know if that schematic I posted is really an 09. I probably shouldn't have posted it until I know for a fact. I may even delete it. If you could compare it pin for pin with an 09-10 schematic, and tell us if there are any diffs., that would be cool. Thanks all.

BTW, Of course, it would be neat if the 2012 unit was same pin for pin ! :cool: (NOT, I'd almost bet.)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That is correct. I just don't know if that schematic I posted is really an 09. I probably shouldn't have posted it until I know for a fact. I may even delete it. If you could compare it pin for pin with an 09-10 schematic, and tell us if there are any diffs., that would be cool. Thanks all.

BTW, Of course, it would be neat if the 2012 unit was same pin for pin ! :cool: (NOT, I'd almost bet.)
My 2009 manual has all the wiring diagrams from '06 to '09. I'll try and have a look at the two versions and see if I can spot any differences. :thumbup:

·
Registered
645 Posts
My 2009 manual has all the wiring diagrams from '06 to '09. I'll try and have a look at the two versions and see if I can spot any differences. :thumbup:
You're the man we'll appoint for this project, RM. Thank you. Have one on me :coffee1:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I looked at the two diagrams: 2008 VIIIA and 2009 VIIIA (airbag models).

The diagrams (as expected) are similar except for the Navigation unit and some differences on the meter panel with the TPMS/HISS.

I found it interesting that the meter panel's 40P Gr connector (position 7) on the 2008 is marked "TPMS". That same connector position on the 2009 is marked "HISS". Hmmm. The only other meter panel difference was on the 36P Gr connector (position 9) which is unused on the 2008 but is the "TPMS Gnd" on the 2009.

The Navigation units look very different.
  • 2008 has a 20P plug (all used)
  • 2009 has a 24P plug (23 used)
  • 2008 doesn't have XM
  • 2009 has XM
  • 2008 has 3 connectors between the navigation unit and meter panel. (2P Bl, 10P Bl, 6P Bl)
  • 2009 has 4 connectors between the navigation unit and meter panel. (2P Bl, 10P Bl, 6P Bl, 6P). The additional 6P is for XM.
  • The "Intermediate" 6P Bl and 10P Bl connectors on both years appear to carry similar functionality but the pin positions are totally different between them.
I tried crosswalking the Navigation unit pins between the two years but there are MANY holes I couldn't fill. The tags used to identify the pins are very different between the 2 years. I'm not smart enough to translate the differences. Someone else might be able to but would likely have to do some diagnostic testing to crosswalk the pins. I don't even know if it is possible. It certainly isn't a "plug n play" deal. For that to happen, you will need to swapout the wire harness.

And just because the connectors are similar between the 2008 and 2009, that doesn't mean a 2009 navigation unit would properly display video on a 2008 meter panel. :shrug:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks for the hard work, rmcapozzi. You did a ton of work, and it's much appreciated.

24 pin, huh. Obviously not swappable. Guess I'll get rid of that post. Or, maybe correct it. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Thanks for the hard work, rmcapozzi. You did a ton of work, and it's much appreciated.

24 pin, huh. Obviously not swappable. Guess I'll get rid of that post. Or, maybe correct it. Thanks again
I certainly learned a bit. :thumbup:

It'll be interesting to see what changes to the harness and navigation unit were made to the 2012 when compared to the 2009/2010. If I was to want any Navi upgrade, it would be the 2012 with the upload/download capability.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts