GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to where everyone connects the trailer harness to get the running, turn, and brake lights?

I have 1998 Qwik Kamp that I want to pull with my 2015 Gold Wing. Where is the best place to tap into?

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I am curious as to where everyone connects the trailer harness to get the running, turn, and brake lights?

I have 1998 Qwik Kamp that I want to pull with my 2015 Gold Wing. Where is the best place to tap into?
Do you already have a hitch on the motorcycle? If so, it's possible there's a wiring isolator already attached.

If not, installation of the harness is relatively straightforward.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you already have a hitch on the motorcycle? If so, it's possible there's a wiring isolator already attached.

If not, installation of the harness is relatively straightforward.
I Installed the hitch a couple weeks ago and did not install the isolator yet. I have one for the bike, just not the plug-n-play.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I see he P-n-P version is no longer offered by Rivco (for example), but their universal one along with the 2012-2017 harness is the replacement.

Reading the instructions, installation is virtually the same (only difference is plugging in the GL18007-38 subharness for your 2012 & up bike.)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I can not tell from your posts or your profile what year / model bike you are riding, but if you have 2006 to 2017 Goldwing, I can help you out with a plug and play break out harness so you do not have to cut or tap directly into any wires on the bike.
See my post here https://gl1800riders.com/forums/201-inventors-hobby-shop/431273-c31-breakout-harness.html

Based on previous issues with other bikes where people tapped into the bike's wires for a trailer hook up, I cannot stress enough what a bad idea it is to tap directly in especially with those stupid guillotine type Scotch-lok side taps.

I have done this type of set up for hundreds of bikes it works very well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see he P-n-P version is no longer offered by Rivco (for example), but their universal one along with the 2012-2017 harness is the replacement.

Reading the instructions, installation is virtually the same (only difference is plugging in the GL18007-38 subharness for your 2012 & up bike.)
The instructions are generic, I am hoping to find something more specific to the 2015 Gold Wing. If nothing more specific, I can always do it the old fashioned way by tracing and splicing

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can not tell from your posts or your profile what year / model bike you are riding, but if you have 2006 to 2017 Goldwing, I can help you out with a plug and play break out harness so you do not have to cut or tap directly into any wires on the bike.
See my post here https://gl1800riders.com/forums/201-inventors-hobby-shop/431273-c31-breakout-harness.html

Based on previous issues with other bikes where people tapped into the bike's wires for a trailer hook up, I cannot stress enough what a bad idea it is to tap directly in especially with those stupid guillotine type Scotch-lok side taps.

I have done this type of set up for hundreds of bikes it works very well.
Sounds like what I need, I just sent you a message to find out how to get one

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
PM replied to.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The wire connectors that you'll need to access are atop the inside rear fender on gen 1 1800s. Once you remove the rear middle panel and license plate the connections are tucked in above black fender umder the trunk. PNP harnesses direct you what connectors to separate and reconnect through their harness so nothing is sliced, cut, poked or degraded on the bike; this it lasts as long as it would have initially and allows you to return the working to original condition of so desired. Some adapters (i.e. isolators) require a power and ground wire be connected and they'll have instructions for that too. The wires and connectors are color coded too. You can save a couple bucks with none PNP harnesses, but cutting slicing and taping the wires will leave it all less tolerant to age and weather.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts