GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased (2) Widder vests for myself and SO. Question, have considered several ways of hooking up electrical connections, but am unhappy with them. Could anyone suggest a "Good" way to do this job? One that would keep the bike clean and clear of obvious wiring when not in use? Each has it's own thermostat control, so have advantage of approx 18-20 inches of wiring. Any suggestions would be welcome, and pictures of how you did it would be great. Thanks ahead of time..

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'd suggest a Powerlet outlet
http://www.powerletproducts.com/product ... ockets.php
mounted in the fairing under the right pocket (if you don't have heated grips the spot where the control would be is a good one) and one mounted in the glovebox hatch door or next to it in the black plastic for the passenger. Looks good and will last a long time. (Powerlets are nicer than a cigarette lighter plug and a bit smaller)

Wire each plug directly to the battery through an appropriately rated fuse at the battery

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
There is a disadvantage to the Powerlet that White Wing suggested. If you get off the bike without unplugging, the Powerlet socket or the cord can be damaged. That's why Honda provides a tail on the audio cord. If you forget to unplug when you get off the bike, the cord will twist to whatever angle needed and allow the cords to separate.
:)
Len

·
Registered
793 Posts

The white dots signify +

I also use these connectors for my battery tender and for the compressor.

I also coated the Widder plugs with that rubber dip stuff found at just about any hardware store...tends to keep the wires from pulling out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Simular to the above picture, but I feed mine through the hole in the black plastic and tuck it back in there when not in use.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Ken,
Nice lookin' job there, I'll have to save that pic for future reference and bein' that we are Titainium fellas and I like the way that looks, I'll have to replicate yer effort. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I mounted a John Deere socket [same as BMW but cheaper and you can buy them from Widder] in the left fairing pocket by my power supply.

I notched the pocket lip to allow my controller to hang out and velcroed it to the side of the "gas tank". then I connect with a normal Widder 2 prong.

I left enough cord so that I can dismount without stressing wires but I don't carry the controller when off the bike. It all fits in the bike pocket when not it use and unplugs for safe storage in the saddle bag for security.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mockin said:
Simular to the above picture, but I feed mine through the hole in the black plastic and tuck it back in there when not in use.
That probably works great for the passenger, but do you have any issues bringing the cord up to your vest for use? Under or over your leg?

If I had some nerve, drilling a hole and installing a bmw type plug below the left suspension panel is probably the way to go.

Has anyone had any luck finding a coiled, 16-14 guage cord, other than by buying one from Widder? Very hard for me to find.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Gonna try this....

Went to the Shack, got a 4 pin mic connector, rated to handle the wattage required. will wire from battery to connector under rear speaker mount. with fuses inline. From there, will have Male 4 pin to Driver/Passenger cords. This will allow me to disconnect from vests while on road, and then disconnect at speaker mount when vests are not used. Nothing will show or be exposed to weather. Of course, at this time, all is in my mind, will shoot pics of project as it advances.... Wish me Luck...hahaha

·
Registered
578 Posts
Kenkadish wrote;
Has anyone had any luck finding a coiled, 16-14 guage cord, other than by buying one from Widder? Very hard for me to find.[/quote]

Yes, Aerostitch has some quality coiled cords;

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?pr ... 284&page=1

They also have high quality "cigarette lighter" type power plugs. I prefer to use these with the HONDA power outlets to hook up all my heated gear.

And if your looking for some FIRST RATE heated jackets you can't beat the "KANETSU" brand from AEROSTITCH.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have gerbing plugs and wire directly to the battery using their inline fuse. One for the passenger mounted to the left grab handle and the one for the rider to a tank pouch, with thermostat connected. Out of sight but you have to remember to turn off the thermostat and unplug.

Worked for me for several years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Vest Outlets

I have a pigtale of wire in ihe gas cap door. When not in use it is rolled up inside out of site out of mind. When in use it just hangs out infront of me and plugs into the vest. I don't have one for SO because I get to ride by myself. (-: But if I needed one for the backseat, I would put a pigtale in the left rear pocket. So again when not in use it is in the pocket.

Bing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts