GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced damage to the wiring harness by the left side trunk hinge due to repeated flexing and conflict with the hinge? - Piss Poor design.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Has anyone else experienced damage to the wiring harness by the left side trunk hinge due to repeated flexing and conflict with the hinge? - Piss Poor design.
You are not alone. I decided about a year ago that they are not even worth fixing. A better repair is to replace the harness.

I should also add that decision was confirmed last weekend when my gf said the other rear speaker was not working. I had repaired the harness about 2 years ago. And it was as good of repair as repairs get. The inserted sections where all cut at different lengths taking into account where they bend and all and keeping the splice far from a bend. One problem with trying to fix them is finding a high quality wire. Even Napa now a days sells a poor quality.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes, & Very simple fix, detach both left & right wire harness from all brackets & let them hang down looped to the left and won't be a problem. They easily tuck down behind the seat padding piece with no severe bending of wires.. solves a big headache down the road.. Honda design may look cleaner but not function very well in the long run. I also got rid of the wide tubing around the wires and just retaped them tighter. Also other ways of doing it but this was easiest for me..

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yes, & Very simple fix, detach both left & right wire harness from all brackets & let them hang down looped to the left and won't be a problem. They easily tuck down behind the seat padding piece with no severe bending of wires.. solves a big headache down the road.. Honda design may look cleaner but not function very well in the long run. I also got rid of the wide tubing around the wires and just retaped them tighter. Also other ways of doing it but this was easiest for me..
Exactly what I did when I bought the bike new. I could tell immediately that those wires would never last long with the continuous folding that tight.

Jeff...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Interesting, I too am having this issue right now. So far I haven't had any luck finding any fine strand flexible wire.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
only a broken speaker wire..a quick repair & all is well..

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
Question should be ​who hasn't had a problem !!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only a broken speaker wire..a quick repair & all is well..
Unfortunately, that is where it starts. Rear speakers went out on my 09 after 2 years. Dealer "fixed" under warranty. Now every wire except 2 are completely broken - right in front of where they "fixed" it the first time as they actually stiffened the assembly up by wrapping it in copious amounts of electrical tape. Now they don't want to replace it as the extended warranty excludes the premium audio. I advised them that this problem also involves the wiring for the intercom system which is not excluded.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not to familiar with this problem being a new owner of a 2013. Do you have any pictures of what you are referring to I look forward taking a look and doing what needs to be done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The wires were cut because of the trunk hinges on my 07 Goldwing, and my extended warranty covered it at a Honda dealer They replaced the whole wire harness.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
WP_20140321_002.jpg
doug of no fl. can you post some photos. It sure would be helpful. thanks
Do not know if this will help, It is very simple, each side has 3 metal brackets with littlle rubber inserts to protect wires , bend brackets out to get harnesses & inserts out. If you have rubber sleeves over harness you can carefully cut the sleeves off with a razor knife and re-wrap exposed wires with electrical tape, to make harneses smaller, then bend your new harness to the left like photo and when you close lid the harnesses will slide down between the pad and rear of tour pak with very little bend in it. Harder to explain than to do. Now you will see the 2 harness when trunk is open, But i usually ride with it closed so I'm still cool!!!lol!!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Try a hobby shop that sells RC cars!! they should sell a VERY flexible silicone insulated wire!!! You can also find it on EBAY!! If you have trouble PM me greg...

You are not alone. I decided about a year ago that they are not even worth fixing. A better repair is to replace the harness.

I should also add that decision was confirmed last weekend when my gf said the other rear speaker was not working. I had repaired the harness about 2 years ago. And it was as good of repair as repairs get. The inserted sections where all cut at different lengths taking into account where they bend and all and keeping the splice far from a bend. One problem with trying to fix them is finding a high quality wire. Even Napa now a days sells a poor quality.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I recently replaced the whole sub harness. It was a few hours work but is a very manageable job. Here is the part number if you are interested.

9SUB-HARNESS, TRUNK UNIT
32140-MCA-A71

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
Unfortunately, that is where it starts. Rear speakers went out on my 09 after 2 years. Dealer "fixed" under warranty. Now every wire except 2 are completely broken - right in front of where they "fixed" it the first time as they actually stiffened the assembly up by wrapping it in copious amounts of electrical tape. Now they don't want to replace it as the extended warranty excludes the premium audio. I advised them that this problem also involves the wiring for the intercom system which is not excluded.
This also includes the wiring for the trunk lock receiver and should be covered for that reason.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
I recently replaced the whole sub harness. It was a few hours work but is a very manageable job. Here is the part number if you are interested.

9SUB-HARNESS, TRUNK UNIT
32140-MCA-A71
This part number varies with option level and model year, but the reference number is always #9 in the diagrams. Make sure the correct number is ordered for your individual bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts