GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It didn't seem like a hard job... at first.
Like many before me, the switch on my trunk light went out. So I went to the auto store and found two 18in LED strips that were for 12v.

I wired them to a switch and then directly to the battery using 14g wire. The wiring got really hot. So hot, it melted the contact right out of the switch.

I've wired many things to the battery in the past without any issues.
Any ideas what is causing me problems on this one?

Thanks for the help.
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,624 Posts
LED light strips pull low amps, should not even get the wires warm.

But some do have a maximum allowed voltage, and exceeding that would cause them to heat up.

Our bikes run a bit over 14 volts when up to speed.

Unless you had a short to ground which would cause that, and or if the switch body was metal and contacted ground..........could be the voltage Max rating of the lights.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top