GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used '02 a couple months ago and the previous owner installed the light strips that run along the top of the valve covers. I've noticed that the left side works as I would like, running and signal flash. However the right side is only wired as a running light and does not flash with the signal or lock/unlock feature.

I have no install instructions for the lights since they were put on before my ownership.

Can anyone tell me how deep I need to go into the bike to rewire the right side to act the same as the left?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dayday,
If those are the carriage lights, mine plugged in up at the mirror/light connections. You have to remove the mirror rubber boot to get to the connectors. BTW, when my set did that I had to replace the effected light strip.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Pull off the fairing flat trim piece that goes from your knee area up to the top beside the pockets. (snaps in) Remove the 4 bolts (they go in a certain place so mark them). Gently pull the outer fairing outwards a little and your 3 wires will be right there. They tie in at the mirrors. These lights are fragile.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Installed mine just last week

They are straight running (LED) lamps. Wondering if yours are plugged in diffferently? In other words, could one side be plugged in "before" the flasher circuit and the other side "after" the flasher circuit?
I think I would ease the mirror rubbers off--lip edges and push in buttons--easy does it, to expose the wiring at the mirror. As Ernhardt Sportsman mentions the strip and pockets, I don't think you'll need to pull them to just expose the wiring at the mirror--you've got power so the circuit is complete. Compare/test the hook-ups from side to side to see if they match. Could just be a mis-wire. Hopefully the PO used Plug-N-Play and didn't destroy factory wiring with tape and gum and spit!! Good luck and let us know what happens!!:popcorn:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Solder Joint

I had the same problem on the right side and I too thought that I had to replace it, so I decided to take the light apart and what I found was a broken solder joint right where the wire connects to the circuit board so with my solder gun and a little solder I was able to fix it saving me around $100;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
It may be the sort which has 3 pins sticking out the end and a tiny black connector then plugs into them. I had one like that and the pins had become corroded - they just needed a good clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts