GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rob, I have a problem with some wiring a 2001

The only thing is I can’t seem to attach pictures to my post.

Would it be possible to email them to you?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I took off the seat, there was all these wires. Some connected some not. Can you help figure out what someone is trying to do.
I hope the pictures are clear and understandable.

The middle pictures is of a yellow terminator with the orange wire spliced. I think it is the #1 position. Would you know what that wire is for?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
When I took off the seat, there was all these wires. Some connected some not. Can you help figure out what someone is trying to do.
I hope the pictures are clear and understandable.

The middle pictures is of a yellow terminator with the orange wire spliced. I think it is the #1 position. Would you know what that wire is for?
That orange wire should be the left turn signal wire that runs to the rear lights. Does it have extra lighting used as turn signals?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that I see.

The other two pictures are of a splice that connected to a blue and a blue/white line. It’s coming out of the large bundle of wires. I can take some better pictures if that will help

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Not that I see.

The other two pictures are of a splice that connected to a blue and a blue/white line. It’s coming out of the large bundle of wires. I can take some better pictures if that will help
Ok, the blue/white wires are part of the headlight circuits. They come to the rear of the seat and usually have a two pin diode(headlight diode) pack plugged into a connector. Does this trike have backup lights?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Rob I’ll have to look tomorrow. Will that be okay with you?

How was your vacation? Restful I hope.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Sorry Rob I’ll have to look tomorrow. Will that be okay with you?

How was your vacation? Restful I hope.
Ok, not really restful, but still good. Took my 81 yr old mother with us and had a good family vacation. Is that yellow connector a junction connector(wires only on one side) or a normal connector with wires on both sides of it?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you had a good time.

The yellow connector is a junction connector

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Glad you had a good time.

The yellow connector is a junction connector
Ok, that means the orange wire is definitely the left turn signal wire. The blue/white wires have the blue splice with two wires coming out of it. Where do those red or orange wires go?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll have to look first thing in the morning

Sorry I don’t have the answer now. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ll have to look first thing in the morning

Sorry I don’t have the answer now. Thanks for your help

It looks like the red wire that is spliced on the orange wire splices with two red wires coming out of the splice with the blue/white wire. One of the red wires from blue/white splices to another red wire and those wires go nowhere. The red wire from the orange wire and connects to the second blue/white wire connects to a third red wire that is not connected to any thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
It looks like the red wire that is spliced on the orange wire splices with two red wires coming out of the splice with the blue/white wire. One of the red wires from blue/white splices to another red wire and those wires go nowhere. The red wire from the orange wire and connects to the second blue/white wire connects to a third red wire that is not connected to any thing.

Ok, so that’s some crazy stuff right there. Do any of the wires seem to be going somewhere else on the bike? Is he having any issues with it? Everything working correctly? If so, I would remove the splices and coat the wires with liquid electrical tape where the splices punched through the insulation on the bike wiring. Not sure why or what they were doing, but loose wires are not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Rob for your help, you are great.

The bike does have back up light. So before I remove all this wiring, didn’t you say that the blue and blue/white had something to do with the highlights and backup lights?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Thanks Rob for your help, you are great.

The bike does have back up light. So before I remove all this wiring, didn’t you say that the blue and blue/white had something to do with the highlights and backup lights?

One of the blue/white wires comes from the cruise/reverse control module and has power on it only when you engage reverse. Maybe the splice there is feeding the backup lights.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Sorry, after taking another look at the schematics, the wire coming from the control module is white/blue, not blue/white. So, I’m not sure that is feeding the backup lights or they would be on all the time. The blue/white wires are hot with the key on for the headlights.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Rob for all your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rob somehow I have no neutral light and the bike is in neutral.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts